The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

This was my first attempt at making a beat for battle 19. I didn’t read the rules (or think really) before adding in the vocal sample (and they belong together IMO) so it can’t go in the battle, as it uses a source from outside the sample pool. So, since I can’t submit it, here it is. Cheers. Now, on to something completely different. Loving this challenge!

Edit: This one samples Jimi Hendrix’s song, “Little Miss Lover,” and the intro scene from the 1984 documentary film, “Streetwise.”

6 Likes

nice. still rocking the free version here.

1 Like

the other day, while sitting on the couch chopping up something in ableton, it seemed like my right ear wasn’t working or the right channel died or something. plugged/unplugged headphones, checked balance and levels — no change.

when i was a kid, my right ear drum burst due to an ear infection or something, and it’s never been the same, so i thought maybe it finally kicked the bucket.

then i realized i was wearing this ridiculous dual branded NFL and tech company winter pompom hat. the team logo circle covered my right ear the way i was wearing it. pulled up the hat, and i could suddenly hear again! (i am an idiot.)

anyway, shout out to my middle aged hip hop producing homies in here.

9 Likes
3 Likes

Epic and fitting.

1 Like

Really enjoying quite a few tracks on the new NAS album.
Haven’t been following his new stuff for a long time

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lEs-tSam6RK3UoczDU9nxO8c2sFRfFG5A

2 Likes

the last 2 album (Magic et KD3) are very good! The duo with the beatmaker Hitboy work very well.
There some good songs on KD2 too.

3 Likes

When you use the Digitakt with the CR. What is the CR bringing to the table?

I like the filters better on the Rhythm. That’s the main thing. Each track has a dedicated low pass that’s better at rolling off the low end than the bass width filter on the Digitakt. It’s easier to get cool harmonics with the resonance. And there’s also a master filter that can be applied on top of everything.

On the flip side, you can’t have tracks bypass the master filter on the Rhythm. You also only have resonance on the low pass. So I find it easier to shape my drum sounds with the Digitakt’s filters.

You can control most things on the Rhythm from the Digitakt’s MIDI tracks so it works okay. If Novation adds a few of the features to the Rhythm that I recommended it would be a perfect combination.

But overall, I don’t mind the clunkiness of the set up to get things to sound the way that I want them to sound.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Filters are so important.

The Filters on the Polyend Tracker don’t sound that great and it’s what stops it being a real workstation for me. Everything is ultimately a bit of a demo because you would have to go back and redo all the filters with something like Volcano to get it sounding really nice.

1 Like

Jon makes beats YouTube channel is making me want to keep my dnb bpm but go back to my roots of beat making. Every video I’ve watched is inspirational and he ends up with some good ish.

4 Likes

Have never posted here cause my Elektrons don’t do hiphop, but I saw this vid and I was curious to share it for those who haven’t seen it yet.

Older and younger legend together, both producing ánd spitting :slight_smile:

I saw Hit-boys stuff with Nas was already recently discussed here.

7 Likes

@lesstalkmoredisco Love this joint and it’s super dope to see this approach from both artists.

1 Like

Peggy and Danny Brown

3 Likes

I’ve just released the second album in my 15 Minutes of Hiss series:

Just like the first one, this instrumental hiphop album is made entirely on my ARmk2 and a tascam portastudio. Also a lot of samples, my guitars, rhodes, sp404, zoom sampletrak and moog grandmother as sound sources/fx. Everything is recorded to cassette tape.

Would love to hear what you guys think!

15 Likes

Well done! I like the way you transition between the songs, it’s a coherent work of instrumental hiphop. I like the retro futuristic theme, and the fact that it all really sounds like you. You’re an inspiration Jacob, one day I want to finish something like what you did here🖖

Oh yeah, i like the last track best, esp with the kids singing…

1 Like

Wow thanks man, that means a lot! I appreciate you saying it sounds like ‘me’, because I feel like I have really found my sound these last 2 years.

1 Like

Here’s the album on Youtube for all you who don’t do Spotify!

19 Likes

@Sleepyhead This is awesome man, everything is on point and the mix is lovely! TIGHT PRODUCTION :beers:

2 Likes

Thanks man!

2 Likes