The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Finally got a chance to listen properly, great piece of work (as usual)! Relaxed vibe and I also like the vocals in the last track.

15 mins though… I do feel cheated :frowning:
Screenshot_20230321-111604~2

3 Likes

Haha thanks for listening man! I like recording to 4 track cassette tape as it forces me to limit myself to 15 minutes of recording time. I had to cut out some interlude parts to make sure the last track fitted completely, so I’m pretty proud of getting it to 14.59 :joy:

4 Likes

This prototype looks like it would be awesome for hip hop.

3 Likes

@Sleepyhead finally had the time to listen to your tape. Dopeness all around the place, and I mean it! Fallin’ 23 has to be my fav joint, the second being Sirens. And that cover is awesome (coming from an art director). Congrats, my man!

2 Likes

Fantastic, man

2 Likes

I’m loving this more and more on every listen. I mentioned before that I thought it was your best beat tape ever, but honestly it’s one of the best tapes I’ve heard in a good while. I love everything about this one. I think you’ve definitely tapped into your sound. Very inspiring! I also hope you keep with the retrofuture theme for a while, as that’s my jam. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

super fresh project all around, great work!

1 Like

Thanks guys!

I should of course mention that the artwork is provided by none other than @DimensionsTomorrow!

The retrofuture vibe is something I love as well, and it will surely be back in the future (pun intended :wink: )

I plan to make more of these 15 minute tapes on the AR/portastudio in the future. The combination of sound, workflow and limitations between those 2 work really well for me.

9 Likes

@Sleepyhead really nice stuff mate.
I’ve thoroughly enjoyed listening to that every morning for the last few days on my short walk to work.
Looking forward to your next one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

For fans of boom bap and kittens… also, for all my middle-aged+ heads who didn’t know a CPAP can be a drum machine.

Gear used/overall recipe: Koala sampler (iphone), Make Noise Strega, Shure Sm7b, a CPAP, a kitten, a few generic Splice samples, a bass note from my homie, Ableton w/ Ozone (vocals, mixing and mastering done in DAW, beat made entirely in Koala).

10 Likes

That’s some really nice work, sir!
Reminds me in a good way of Aesop Rock’s Kirby

2 Likes

Much appreciated! Kirby is definitely a cat anthem for the ages.

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone has tried Serato Studio? Now they have the stems stuff in it I’m tempted to try it. Not sure how the stem quality is compared to something like Stemroller which is the best I’ve heard so far but the fact it’s integrated is really cool. Serato Sample is one of my go to plugins when making stuff in a DAW too. It looks kinda limited but that can be a good thing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

had this cooking for the latest battle but went with another track that got further along. it sounded pretty rockin’ to me. i just wasn’t sure how to add variations to turn it into a song and ran out of time.

9 Likes

I also love Serato Sample. I might have to give this a try!

1 Like

Whatsup guys, I got some more new music for anyone who’s into Dutch hiphop!

I produced most of the tracks on this Compilation using my DT, sp404 and even some mpc2000xl.

Spotify

Youtube

12 Likes

@Sleepyhead you figured out a nice formula dope jams :beers:

1 Like

@looms so do they just expediate the filter process with the use of this tool? It looks neat, but I’m assuming we’re not hearing about all those juicy other fx in play that are making things sound crispy :thinking: I’m genuinely curious because this looks interesting.

Thank you sir!

@Sleepyhead you’re insanely productive, man! How do you manage to knock out so many beats? I’ll listen to it later today!

Meanwhile here is a little joint I’ve knocked this morning:

Did it on the sp404mk2… My sample sources were so noisy from the get go that I kinda cornered myself mixwise super early. That has to be one of my roughest mixdown haha.

Still kinda eh about the sp. On paper, it’s everything I like, but on practice, I kinda hate being so destructive. Not yet my dream machine… I feel I’ll end up going back to the digitakt which was my first “serious” box.

12 Likes