The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

It’s a good tape in general, but there’s something about the way you structure your projects where my favorites are always in the middle. The run from Obelix to Johnny Bravo is killer. (Also, just before the last track on YT, I got an ad for edibles)

2 Likes

Thanks @Kuro and @sleepside!

The funny thing is I always try to put strong tracks at the beginning and end, but that seems to ve different to your taste.

@Kuro dope! This deserves to be rapped over! Do you still have your ST? Why not use them together?

2 Likes

Yeah, on your “15 minutes…”, the tracks I like the most are right in the middle haha.

Thanks for the kind words, man! I actually have an ongoing project with a french mc, but it’s taking ages to complete. And no, I sold the Digitakt to get an Octatrack, but I find it a bit less fun to use…

1 Like

Completely get that… the DT is way more straightforward. I do really like the combination of an elektron sampler (DT, AR or Dt) as sequencer and main hub, and the sp404 for chopping samples, and aplying fx.

2 Likes

Yeah, on the OT, everything is a bit annoying. Want a filter? That’s an fx slot. Want delay AND reverb? Sorry bro, that’s gonna cost you a neighbor track. Want to resample a snare? Get ready for some gainstaging first! And so on…

DT sounds good fast and doesn’t cause so much mindmelt. Indeed, a DT / SP combo would be good (and indeed, I had a SX as my DTs sidecar…). But I like using one box only… I’ll have to get better, simple as that!

2 Likes

It’s the same tech they use in Serato DJ software. AI sorcery! I read on Serato forums it should be coming to Serato Sampler too at some point which is sweet as you’d get the functionality in your DAW of choice. Still tempted to try Serato Studio though - I didn’t realise there’s a free version. Probably super limited but hopefully enough to get a beat going and try this out.

Fresh Rhythm Roulette video with Khalil using it

Also, nice track @Kuro!

Edit, and nice album @Sleepyhead! Work ethic is strong man, wow!

7 Likes

Wanted to chime in to the whole stems convo @aarb420 @looms - Elf Audio’s Koala sampler app has this feature as well (have to find it in the “tools” section of the sample edit page) - automatically splits samples into vocals/drums/bass/other.

Hadn’t really messed around with it until after watching that DJ Khalil Rhythm Roulette… was thinking about trying Serato Sample but then remembered that Koala has been adding new features like crazy over the last couple years… low and behold, “split stems” was there.

Serato might do it better and I will probably mess with it at some point but I honestly can’t recommend Koala enough for the price. Every time some new $500+ sampler hits the market, my pockets give thanks to Elf Audio!

2 Likes

I had a play with koala on my Mac before the stem splitter and it does seem really nice. Unfortunately something went wrong with it and my saved projects just made mad sounds and definitely not the samples I had in them so I stopped using it.

I don’t have an iPad and can’t imagine it being much fun on my little iPhone mini! Maybe one day though :slight_smile:

Stemroller does sound really great and I think hard to beat (miles better than izotope rx to my ears) but having these stem tools already in a music making software really appeals.

2 Likes

Sjeumig, lekker bezig ouwe😎

1 Like

I love koala.
Actually became my favorite beatmaking tool.
Haven’t messed with the stem splitting however :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Aaah man, I’ve never wanted an iPad but you guys are tempting me! Will Koala run ok on an old (read cheap secondhand) model?

Haha dankjewel man!

I tried serato studio, it’s the perfect “daw” for quick sample based beatmaking.
Everything is very user friendly and the learning curve is very quick.
I will highly recommend it to someone who wants to begin sample based beatmaking.
There is a free version you can try.

4 Likes

I have a standard ipad from 2017. Koala works without any problems.
It also is one of the few apps where the UX is perfectly suited for the iphone

1 Like

Ah maybe I’ll give it a try on my phone then, thanks.

Thanks @drrumble. I’m not a beginner (although you’d think twice with some of my stuff) but simple sounds good anyway! I’ll have to check em both out.

1 Like

Yes I know you’re not a noob :wink: I like the simplicity of this app and the user friendly interface !

2 Likes

Sounds good, def going to check it out this weekend.

2 Likes

With those stem making things.
(I know all the technical jargon)

Could you take a beat you made years ago which you don’t have the stems for anymore and kind of get them back, or isn’t the quality that good?

1 Like

It’s not perfect, and I think it depends on the recording you’re trying to… erm… stem. But it’s worth a try for sure.

Give stemroller a go man :muscle: https://www.stemroller.com/

(I do not have shares with stemroller)

2 Likes

Cheers mate I’m genuinely both impressed and embarrassed that I never knew this technology existed :joy:
And if we are still talking technical, i’m looking forward to stemming the s#%t out of some stuff tomorrow

2 Likes