The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

sounds great!

1 Like

Trying to tidy up my Koala folder :slight_smile: A few snippets
Not sure what to do with them…

9 Likes

These are dope as hell @Unifono

2 Likes

Agreed

his recent 404 day showcase at Poobah only reinforced that

True king of beats and genuine visionary

2 Likes

Haven’t heard that one, is it online somewhere?

not likely
i only saw bits and pieces from cali friends via IG

but honestly his discography is more than enough evidence, always evolving and very unique rhythms

i love this performance though (if you haven’t seen it) very inspiring stuff with mpc and looper

3 Likes

I find it difficult to make instrumentals interesting. These type of beats probably need vocals.
I often find it hard to come up with b sections if dependent on samples.
So I just keep them short.

Anyone else finding it hard to come up with variety in sample beats? I often only find the single nice flip within a sample…

1 Like

These are amazing. I love the drums and that last beat is a banger! I’d say these would be perfect for someone to rap over…

Edit:
Regarding variations, you could just play around with removing the drums, filtering samples/drums in different ways, adding some stops/silence etc. With those things even a simple 1 bar loop can be interesting for a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Thanks, glad you like them!

Yes filtering, removing drums etc helps a lot, but I often feel single loop beats only should only last for 1 to 2 minutes, if there is no rap.

Keeping instrumentals interesting is certainly a challenge.
But there are people of course that are really good at making beat tapes :slightly_smiling_face:

I transferred 60 beats from ipad to mac for mixing them yesterday, I might post some more :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Haha very few of the tracks I put on my beattapes exceed 2 minutes for this same reason :wink:

Something I noticed is that when I sit down and try to make a coherent tape out of individual tracks, I often get very inspired to add variations, interludes, vocal bits, mess with the way tracks end or flow into the next one etc. This works even better when I have a theme/style to work with for that particular tape. This might also work for you!

2 Likes

that’s probably the extra effort it needs if you want something coherent!
Maybe I‘m just too lazy :slightly_smiling_face:
Really enjoying your tapes

1 Like

Thanks man! Waiting for that Unifono tape thats coming…

3 Likes

Thanks! Haven’t seen that one. I try to listen to everything from Dakim. He’s always on another planet.

1 Like

New Video for a song I produced!

16 Likes

@Sleepyhead beautiful song man and neat video concept, too! If it’s possible could you talk about what the song is about in a few words? You’re doing cool stuff out there, man, and the lady in the vid looks a lot like Janet Jackson :muscle:

1 Like

Very nice song and video !

1 Like

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! The song is basically about living life without a plan and being happy doing that.

I did this entire beat on my mpc1000 and sp404 og by the way. I recorded the keys and bass into the jjos audio tracks and timestretched everything on the 404, hence the warbly bass.

6 Likes

So I’m beasting out on NFS Unbound, and I like some of the OST.

I want to produce something like this.

It seems like it falls in line with what OZ and Metro Boomin does, which is start with the hats. And in the song above it follows the vocals, and the vocals themselves are clipped and punchy, like they have a transient layered under them.

Or are the vocals loaded as samples, with an envelope applied?

I have a Ren acapella that I’m going to flip trying to use this technique.

3 Likes

Wow, man! Unreal! Very strong 90s vibes off of this in the best possible way. Congrats! Love it.

1 Like

Thanks man! :heart:

1 Like