The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Listening to this in the subway on my way to work and it has such a good vibe! The video is pretty cool and cute, it’s a welcome change from “everything is ghetto gloomy / gunz’n’cars”

2 Likes

A little out of season here in the northern hemisphere, but I just finished a wintry beat:

4 Likes

Watching old Rhythm Roulette videos and realized the record store Krit went to is the same one 10 minutes away from my old apartment.

4 Likes

First try at a full hip hop track, using MPC Live 2 only.
Thanks to @rockpapergoat for the “keep it short” advice - I did!
Feedback invited…

5 Likes

nice!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the issues you’re having with Android Koala, Doug. I don’t hesitate to recommend it to any- and every-one but always with the caveat of using iOS.

I do one of these flips a week using Koala. I usually mix in AUM but was pushed for time and didn’t have the tools I need to make the parts fit together sonically this week so I mixed it in Ableton.

Structurally it’s very simple. It doesn’t do a lot, but what it does do, it very much means.

9 Likes

beautiful and super professional

1 Like

That’s great, nice to hear some non-English lyrics too.

1 Like

that sounds huge!!

1 Like

Some more beats from my Koala folder.

11 Likes

Hehe thanks, mate. Huge is very much what I’m after so that’s greatly appreciated!

1 Like

I really like your use of longer sustained tones combined with short chops. The two complement each really other well.

1 Like

Really like the second one, nice bit of edge to it

1 Like

Thanks @subduct and @Unifono!

By the way: great beats again, I like the 2nd and last one best!

1 Like

I’m gonna have to get my notebook out and do a study on the last beat

1 Like

thanks guys!

it’s pretty simple to be honest. But it might be my personal favorite beat I‘ve done so far

Structurally, maybe, but I struggle with giving everything its space sonically, and this beat does that very well

1 Like

Yo!

What are your favorite hiphop podcasts?

I really like the Dutch BRAL (beats rhymes and life), in which the hosts focus on either legendary artist or album.

Helped me to (re)discover some great music and to learn a lot about my favorites (e.g., one of the hosts has actually been a tour manager for artists/groups like Wu-Tang and Mob Deep, so they really do know their stuff)

Would appreciate your recommendations!

3 Likes

The What Had Happened Was podcast is great! Open Mike Eagle interviews a different producer/A&R rep every season

So far:
Season 1: Prince Paul
Season 2: El-P
Season 3: Dante Ross

5 Likes

Big up @PeteSasqwax and @Unifono ! Your Koala beats are dope!

2 Likes