The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Questlove supreme has some great episodes and, like @sleepside said, what had happened was is really good and gets super deep, really made me love prince paul even more.

Drink champs can be pretty decent, but nore can get pretty annoying

3 Likes

For my french (or french speaking) nauts: Featuring, hosted by Driver / Le Podcast de Fuzi (from UV TPK fame) / So Fresh / Underground Explorer, hosted by the legendary DJ Fab… Plus, we have Le Code, hosted by Mehdi Maizi, which is pretty cool as well.

Thank you, mate, that’s much appreciated

1 Like

I get my new Model:Cycles last tuesday, I Like how it sounds!
I already made 3 beats with it and the DT :crazy_face:.
Kick, snare, hh and main sample are from my personal soundbank, all the other sounds you can hear are from the M:C.
Everything sampled in the DT, Stereo out recorded in Reaper and little limiting before uploading (Reaper JS Master limiter)
Here is the last one :

10 Likes

Nice, like the twin peaks-y sounds.

2 Likes

This was pretty funny, good one @JonMakesBeats! Also saw @Voltagectrlr in the crowd. So can’t say nothing came out of NAMM this year. :v:

10 Likes

The hiphop elektron masters was there :fist:

That newest @JonMakesBeats jam is crazy… I just dropped this yesterday and it kind of reminds me of his beat though his is way more of a banger.

8 Likes

@woolsee damn, that’s fire! The beat, the mc’ing and singing… really dope, man.

I’ve been on a big jazz funk / fusion tip lately, so here is a little beat I’ve made with a very jazz-funk inspired lead line:

All done on the sp404mk2 again, with korg monologue on funk duty…

Lately, I’ve been more and more attracted to the psych / jazz funk / old funk side of things, thus lusting for some classic tones like organs / rhodes / minimoog / arp2600 and so on… but I’m far from having both the space and money to get such a setup. I was glancing sideways at the mpc range with its included plugins as a cool way to get a taste of this in a small package… but since I’m a dumbass, I bought a m8 tracker instead because it’s small / cute / I’m a sequencing freak… Ah well…

6 Likes

@woolsee and @Kuro that’s dope guys! These two beats have a classic flavour!

2 Likes

Great track fella, love that👍

1 Like

@drrumble & @Kuro thanks! Dope beat as well. I’ve been considering a m8 for awhile now too… I don’t really need it and I’m a little intimidated by the tracker workflow but damn does it seem powerful. Love the portability as well. Hope you end up loving it!

2 Likes

I’m with you, man. Totally on a jazz funk kick. I’m repeating myself from earlier, but this series of Japanese jazz funk mixes on YouTube is great. Still constant rotation in my house.

Also, this:

And this is pretty good too.

If you are into electric piano, I highly recommend saving for a Yamaha Reface CP. It nails the sound of that era from these old tracks and takes up very little space. It scratched the itch for me. A lot of musicians gig with those Refaces here in Japan because they are so light and portable and can be midi’ed up to a big keyboard controller. The YC organ one is great as well, but the CP is my favorite.

I hear great things about the Behringer Minimoog clone as well. I’m actually wanting their upcoming Solina string clone as, among other things, it’s on some killer mid-70s Herbie Hancock tunes. Plus old library tracks are another of my true loves along with jazz funk.

4 Likes

Do you know about the Wamono series (EDIT: corrected spelling)? Lovely collection of Japanese jazz/funk/early rock. One of my favorites:

2 Likes

I don’t! I’ll definitely check it out though, sounds like my kind of thing! Thanks!

1 Like

@drrumble @Symian @woolsee thanks, guys!

@DimensionsTomorrow yeaaaah, I know you’re deep into these sounds as well! Thanks for the youtube links, I’ll listen to it asap. I’m well into library music and japanese jazz funk as well… As a side.note, the main samples from my track are from a Reiko Ike album! :slight_smile:

I’ve been eyeing the CP and YC (big big organ fanatic here…) for a long time now. Gonna buy it one day or another! The MPCs seem to have legit EP / organ / solina / moog / ARP plugins as well… With a good midi keyboard, might be nice.

@sleepside oh, sounds tasty! I’ll listen to it as well!

There’s also this:

Super dope mix of cinematic japanese funk!

5 Likes

I love this album.
Apollo brown is amazing

2 Likes

Another beat from the latest batch:

Actually quite tempted to put an acap over this one…

4 Likes

it’s not hip hop, but i’m slowly getting my left and right hands to play together. learning piano is a humbling and enjoyable experience.

7 Likes

Nice fella, I’m glad you’re taking to the keys, the persistence is paying off👍

1 Like