The BITWIG Thread

There are now two things I adore: Bitwig and @umbongo

THANK YOU!

1 Like

That’s great you got it working.

1 Like

Today I noticed that the waveform display in longer clips is totally off. I am using the RAW mode where the file is played back without any time stretching or warping. Is that a known bug or am I missing something?

I also tried to use the Midi Program Change module to organise a larger liveset. Unfortunately this doesn´t work as expected either. The moment I stop clips the module sends program changes that I didn´t order. On the other hand it does not send change messages when I start a clip (I am using the automation lanes to change the values).

Two big bummers!

Any Linux users care to give their comments? I’d love to be able to go full desktop Linux and use Bitwig as the daw. Any gotcha’s I should be aware of? Do you need a driver for your audio interface or is it like osx and just works?

Why not email them to ask about the problems you’re having? Their support is not the fastest, but pretty decent.

I’ve only had bitwig for a week now, but it works very well with linux. Jack gives better performance, but can be a bit of a pain to configure, but bitwig works even with pulseaudio.

For your audio interface, it depends on the model, not on the daw. Mine works out of the box, but others don’t. Look up your specific model to see if it is well supported.

I have a spare Bitwig 8-Track Key if anyone is interested in trying it out. It doesn’t have the grid, but you do get several of the synthesizers and modulation options. PM me

EDIT: Its gone!

Apologies if this has been covered already, but I was recently searching for how to put trig probability on The Grid devices, so that each note from the midi sequencer is given a percentage chance of being triggered or not for each of the different oscillators within your patch. I couldn’t find the answer. But here is the solution:

Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 00.06.24

Go to your envelopes (whatever ones you wish to use) and turn off the pre-cord for the gate (the square wave icon with a little input arrow in the bottom left). Then, connect a Chance module to the yellow gate input and ensure that the retrigger (upwards arrow icon with a smaller arrow input in the top left) of the Chance module is enabled. Et Voila! So simple once you know. Plus, the advantage of this is that each oscillator in your patch has a percentage chance of triggering on each note from your midi sequence, creating lots of nice variations along the way, where one, both, or many different oscillators can trigger (or not) on each note.

9 Likes

Things like this in Bitwig kind of blow me away. 8 effects with a fader to fade between them. There’s a download to the preset under the vid.

2 Likes

Hi, I am about to download the Bitwig demo. Can I use the grid in demo mode? Are there any restrictions?

I just want to check the Grid with my ES-9 for a hybrid modular solution. I just finished the Grid intro course with Thavius Beck.

… checking … before I spend another 300 this month :crazy_face:

The Grid is an integral part of Bitwig, kin of like MSP is part of Ableton. I’m sure it works in Demo. But you can’t save your creations until you buy I guess.

Yea I know it’s the roots of this daw but … if I read the marketing speak well it’s only available in Studio at full-price. Not saving in the demo is not a problem if that is the only limitation.

Will try the demo tomorrow,… I probably won’t sleep if I download it now :wink:

1 Like

Genius! Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

He brings a nice example ( and project file) here

5 Likes

typically just works, but if supported at all.
so if you want to go Linux, you should choose audio interface that is known to work.
(any USB class compliant interface will in theoury, but some have quirks).

but one should not use pulseaudio backend for any real audio production tasks, because it’s known to have performance issues, and sound artifacts on some cofigurations (and sucks by design).

1 Like

will officially join the club tomorrow. it’s on the way to me.

2 Likes

This tutorial was quite good. I was somewhat indifferent to Euclidian sequencing, but this gave me a better appreciation for the technique.

Yes, and it sounded nice. in his comments below he mentions that he forgot something and what to change. I played only quick with the project file, sounded ok, dont know if he fixed it there.
Nice guy with a refreshing approach to videos.
Also i learned that a genre i dont like is called microhouse. He likes it a lot, villalobos is his hero, and uses for example his drum sampler rhytmique to produce that. Bitwig guru baphometrix said in the comment that its brillant. Dont know if i could use it for something completely different.

1 Like

got my 8-track license and already noodling with :thup:

2 Likes

Man you guys make me want to buy Bitwig :sweat_smile:

2 Likes