The BITWIG Thread

Well I cant even get the Beta to open on an M1 Airbook, so think I’ll wait a while too

1 Like

awesome !

New operators mode with fill mode and stuff makes it so elektron!

6 Likes

Check out the operators

4 Likes

Mine runs out July 10, so do I feel lucky? Will be touch and go.

2 Likes

Mine December… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

IMPROVED EXPORT OPTIONS

• Export Audio function and dialog has been revamped
  • You can now choose from various audio formats to export:
    • WAV
    • FLAC
    • Opus (information here)
    • OGG Vorbis
    • MP3
  • Appropriate profiles are available for each format
  • Multiple formats can be exported at once (in case you want a lossless version for your listening, and a lossy version to email, etc.)
  • The Sample Rate for exports can also be set now
  • If a time selection is made is the Arranger, that is used as the export Time Range

NEW FEATURES

IMPROVEMENTS

• Gain handles are now available at the top of each audio events and clips, both on the Arranger and in the Detail Editor Panel
  • Time sliding handles are now available at the bottom of each audio event in the Detail Editor Panel
  • Polymer/ Grid modules (Filters): Many filters now handle extreme resonance and modulation cases more smoothly
5 Likes

ALS import is da burner :slight_smile:

Totally!

Oh yeah I have a real bunch of projects - and I was overwhelmed by converting everything to started construction and Finnish the damn thing under bitwig. Still have some cleaning in Ableton Live like Native Ableton devices, Replace audio unit if any… to make things converted without too much headaches …

Importing Ableton Live Sets (ALS)

Bitwig Studio version 4.0 can import some data from projects saved in Ableton Live version 8.1 or later.

What’s Imported

• Main arrangement including clips, tempo, time signatures, cue markers, and automation.
  • Clip launcher scenes including names, colors, and clips (along with applicable playback parameters).
  • Audio, MIDI, and group tracks (and their contained tracks), along with their data and output routings.
  • VST/VST3 plug-ins, along with settings and any automation.
  • MIDI clip features (such as MPE, note chance, and velocity spread) and audio clip features (like pitch/volume modulation and warping) will be imported as closely as possible. Warp modes are converted to the closest match.

Not Imported

• Track input routings (MIDI From and Audio From)
  • Native Ableton devices
  • Audio Units (AU) plug-ins
2 Likes

Basically, Bitwig is now an Octatrack :stuck_out_tongue:

Really cool update, M1 native support is phenomenal also, I’ve already downloaded the beta, enjoying it!

4 Likes

I’ll have to give it another go but had no joy even opening it on an M1. Did you do anything other than just download and replace the app?

…oooooooo myyyyyyy goodnesssss…

it’s a thousand ot’s, a thousand mnm’s and a thousand digi’s all interacting, morphing and modulating with each other at once now…

waaaayyyy tooooooo overwhelming for me…

still missing some further pitch detection/audio to midi capabilities and some convolution tricks, though…

gonna extend my update plan this august with no hesitation…
and i’m pretty pretty confident, bitwig 5 will finally cover AAAALLLLLL i’ll ever gonna need in my sonic lifetime…forever and ever…

3 Likes

Oh man. The Operators are exactly what I’ve been looking for. Up til now, I’ve been fudging this kinda behaviour with modulation on arpeggiators and liberal use of chance within various stages of my synths built in The Grid, and now I can combine all I’ve learnt about that with per note Operators and use these kinda things on other VSTs. Top update!

3 Likes

It looks like a lot of fun. The probability and related note mangling looks very powerful and flexible. They always take an idea and run with it much further than other DAWs. Ableton 11 has some probability (and I’m sure it’s been welcomed) but this is something else.

I don’t record audio in the traditional way but the comping features look like they’d be well suited to experimental stuff as well. I can “fold” a longer recording into multiple shorter “takes” and then mangle the different bits together on the timeline. Could be very interesting.

And yes, the Elektron-style probability stuff is very welcome. I can make a much shorter loops that have the “fills” and other variations built in. Easier than having multiple clips and more cluttered sequencer timeline.

1 Like

Importing ALS in Bitwig works flawlessly ! I mean it’s very perfect if you deal with your projects on what Bitwig can and can’t import… it’s so nice I’m super happy

Audio exported from Live :

Audio exported from Bitwig :

You can hear the clip enveloppe bug on the second region as I not make the trick, the first region work for the repeated percussion (the yellow part) as I readjust the nodes. Weird because visually all seemed perfect I only noticed it when I bounced it and listening it.

I notice a little bug when using in Ableton clip enveloppes, it was converted well but for some reason the clip gain/volume enveloppe was not applied. you have to remake the loop on the clip going back and reset to the wanted position and then it’s working.

7 Likes

…and to be brutally honest…

i bought into bitwig last year…still feels almost like a cockblocker in constant awareness of all the possebilties and sonic ways to go…

so i hardly consider for the first time in my life, to invest in some proper one on one teaching/how to/know how lessons next winter…

because all THIS is with no doubt the very very very last daw of my life…
and it’s depressing to know, i don’t really know how to handle it…
shame on me, if i still don’t have the muscle memory of all the short cuts, tricks and workflow options to become a truu poweruser and to start finally speakin’ fluent bitwiggish for real next year…

Does this have scale highlighting or fold to scale like FL studio or Ableton?

Considering the switch, as I’d be able to import ALS from my Akai force now it appears.

Must be a lot of Bitwig users in the world. Downloading the beta is very slow, and I haven’t been able to successfully download it without it timing out.

1 Like

I think Taches Teaches (I’m sure you’ve seen him on YouTube) offers one-to-one lessons. I’d pay just to hear more of his lovely voice tbh.

5 Likes