The BITWIG Thread

Beta doesn’t start on my M1 but hey… it’s a beta :slight_smile:

Crash reported, waiting for the fix…

3 Likes

Wow! Huge update. The note event stuff is huge, not to mention comping. Every time a new update comes along where they’ve chosen to focus on some subset of features, I’m blown away on how thorough they are. I can imagine the planning for the update started with something like “…well, if we don’t give them comping they’ll literally murder us”, but then they’ve improved the sequencing, audio clip/event and timeline experience across the DAW in the most Bitwig-y way possible. I’m really excited! :smiley:

This makes me think even more that a Push-style device made first-party by Bitwig would be amazing!

2 Likes

Akai will make it :joy:
They done a fruity loops controller ///

even SSL make USB controller for their plugins now just under the price of the six - I prefer to get the six even if it’s the double of the price at least it enhance my audio from analog circuitry :joy:

But yeah a controller is a game changer for hands on control & workflow for sure
(i hate mapping everything… … … … … … … …)

Crazy detail: you can use operators on audio events, so there’s going to be a ton of opportunities to do granular-y stuff in the middle of a timeline on an audio clip!

3 Likes

Yes! In the Operators video linked above, the guy suggested (but didn’t show) repeating tiny portions of audio to create additional notes/tones within the audio sequence. That’s seems like a cool experiment to try out.

4 Likes

oh no more features to confuse me… PSYCH!

Comping looks great! Could be just in time, as vocals are coming up soon for a project.

We typically just use the best take, but comping would be better to get all those cool little things that happen in live takes.

Well this is nice. I’ve been cobbling together workarounds for some of this but as usual, bitwig has gone above and beyond to add usability to new features. Great work. Can’t wait to give it a go.

2 Likes

Shame that it only works with VST M1 native, nearly all the M1 native plugins I have are audio units.

1 Like

Bug report on importing Ableton ALS (Live 11) into Bitwig 4 beta 1 not printing correctly a clip envelope on volume in an audio clip. even if visually all seem perfectly imported and printed into the graphics…

Sent to Bitwig support

Con: software so deep it seems near impossible to access even half of the software’s features.

Pro: opportunity to repeat purchases that are about as consistent as Bitwig updates

Finally got a chance to actually sit down with the operator feature and toy around for a minute.

SO fun! Yet again, I think Bitwig has done a great job of capturing something that I usually reach for hardware for in terms of exploration/discovery and integrated it into DAW. I really like that we can “freeze” instances of randomization, so if you tune something to your liking you can generate A/B parts really quickly.

I’m also really curious where the operator concept will go over time – I’d imagine they’ve had some discussions about whether or not to start to introduce pitch operators. These are ultimately just shorthands for things that you could build in the instrument chain, but having something like a “pitch quantize this note to perfect 5th 50% of the time” would be fucking amazing.

One of the things I always really liked about the OP-Z was the step-components that were pitch-based being combined with more of the “trig probability” types. It definitely feels like there could be a future where operators become an awesome playground for that kind of stuff.

3 Likes

Yeah, running it no problem on my Macbook Air M1, 8GB. Recorded some vocals (and deleted them again…quickly… :P), messed about with midi, tried the operators and expression spread, all works flawlessly…and soooo colourful lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats odd. Are you on OSX 11.4? Did you move any of the old files?

Did I hear correctly? FL files can be imported to Bitwig? I have over 20 unfinished wips that I abandoned when Bitwig opened my eyes. Wouldn’t mind plunging back into them if I was able to do so in Bitwig.

For M1s having issues of crashing at flash screen, try it in Rosetta mode (Get info in the finder on the .app icon, click “open using Rosetta”). At least you can try the new features now :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I’m on 11.3.1 still. Didn’t move any old files, just a straight overwrite of the app in the Applications folder, everything else in place as it were.

Has anyone ever heard of BitWig hardware controller / standalone maschine?
Would be so cool )

Would be cool indeed. I wonder what controller is currently best? I believe there is a script that lets you use Push 2 but I might be wrong.

best support I’ve found is:
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html

I’m using a Novation LPPMK3 with a script from Mossgrabers. Seems to work well. little getting used to…

2 Likes