The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

I wasn’t trying to dunk on your deepmind either, it was just a response to you saying you’ll keep it ‘forever’ :wink:

And I sort of agree with the ‘you get what you pay for’ comment, though I’ve not been burned by anything produced by korg or novation at similar pricepoints.

2 Likes

I know :slight_smile: I’m always happy to have a good debate – didn’t feel like you were dunking on me.

I haven’t either, but it’s hard for me to say. No problems with my Elektron’s yet, but I’ve heard of people having issues with the OTs screens after a few years. I doubt my modular will survive forever, at some point I’m imagining all the inputs will start getting hairy after years and years of plugging/unplugging. I spoke about the issue with the Moog already. My JV-2080 has some kind of memory problem, so I can’t save patches on it.

It seems unlikely to me that if I bought a Volca Keys today that it would still be working as new in 20+ years. Like I said, I think build quality/longevity criticisms are absolutely valid, but I have doubts as to how many products that are available today will actually stand up to the test of time. Will be interesting to see no doubt.

Sorry for this digression though, don’t want to go too off topic!

3 Likes

Possibly internal battery?

Shout out to you and @Norb for keeping it civil :+1:

2 Likes

Could be. In fairness, I haven’t really tried to solve it because I mainly use it as a “video game boot sequence sound in a box”, and for that I rarely do anything more than light partial editing for the thing I’m doing at the moment, which I typically don’t need to save. Should take a look.

Sorry, last off topic reply!

This is likely old news, but I didn’t realise Behringer had applied to get the Oberheim trademark :cry:

1 Like

There’s definitely stuff being made today that’s built to last a lifetime and to be repairable.

There’s definitely people innovating within synths / samplers etc…

There’s definitely people making an effort to improve the ethics of their businesses.

Behringer doesn’t belong to any of the above, I honestly can’t think of any good reason to buy from them as anything they sell for cheaper, is a false saving in that it’ll break sooner than later and when it does, it’s pretty much for the bin as they weren’t built with repairs in mind.

I honestly think people would be better off waiting twice as long to buy gear and then when they have the money, buy something that is more expensive but will last, be interesting and integrate with modern technology (this lack of midi implementation really bums me out!)

I sure look forward to a future when Behringer have the monopoly and we’re stuck with synths that have less modern features than synths being made in the 80s :slight_smile: I like that the critical view of them seems to be spreading though!

4 Likes

They could make it free for people that own B hardware only.

I doubt that is what they will do, but it is a possibility.

1 Like

Not to go too off-topic, but I also don’t appreciate how B has a totally toxic online presence, which like a certain former President has to respond to EVERY criticism online and can’t let anything go, to the point of silencing people in forums and threatening lawsuits. That alone keeps me from supporting them.

But yeah, the mental image of some medium-old sappily buying a Boberheim and saying “THIS IS THE GOLDEN AGE” only to have half the knobs break off in two months, gives me quite the chuckle. Now that’s capitalism!

6 Likes

Their 1002 whatever mixer I’ve had since 2001ish has been pretty good to me. I’m tempted by the Monopoly but now I’m thinking Minilogue xd. It seems to do more for slightly less. I’m looking for something to replace a Grandmother. The Grandmother is nice but I always feel limited. Patching isn’t my thing.

Behringer posted this on FB

A direct clone of the Peavey RQ200, right down to the 2x 9v pp3 battery operation.

Had a couple of these RQ200 for years, bulletproof and great little mixers, I paid less than £60 each for them FWIW.

1 Like

Equally, our own analog Xenyx mixers and many other products have been widely cloned.

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

lmao this image is the funniest thing I’ve seen in a while. behringer, I don’t think that equating yourselves with forgettable off-brand manufacturers that don’t have original ideas is the gotcha defense for your company that you think it is.

3 Likes

Summary, some other companies are shit too, but rather than be like the ones that are not we decide to be like the ones that are.

Ok then.

6 Likes

Behringer are the kid who, when caught shoplifting, points out all his mates to the security and says, “look, they’re all shoplifting as well”.

14 Likes

Nailed it.

2 Likes

and he’s also the one kid in the group who’s rich as hell lol

8 Likes

Coming out hot

“Competition is a highly effective tool to drive innovation by empowering Customers to make their best choices and force manufacturers to constantly reinvent themselves.”

Right cause all those knock-off Louis Vutton bags drove LV to innovate more. And Ray-Ban and Nike etc.

The desire to innovate drives innovation.

The idea Moog or Elektron or Make Noise is watching this dumpster fire and thinking to themselves “Shoot, fam, those are some forward thinking kit, good for them, we need to get on it.” is absurd.

10 Likes

By not buying shit copies :rofl:

5 Likes

I actually respect Behringer less for trying to defend themselves.
I don’t really mind someone taking the piss, but trying to justify it to the world just makes you look like a knob.

12 Likes