The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

He won/killed you in that battle :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Winning is never going to change anything in discussions like this, so what’s the point (in discussing topics like this at all).
It’s like discussing taste. No point in doing that.

its more in the delivery

2 Likes

This thread is pointless. As answered its neither good nor bad. There are no winners here only losers. Shit im here bye.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Both ripping off others’ talents (Moog, Mutable, Intellijel etc) and doing so on the cheap through low-wage labour and little environmental regulation is always bad.

Lots of synth manufacturers who don’t: Elektron, Moog, Erica, Make Noise, Pittsburgh…probably plenty others.

And anyway

3 Likes

Sure, that’s why the interface, circuitry and name are basically miniature 1-to-1 copies of a Moog Model D…not to mention the sound signature.

They may buy it for the sound alright, but whose sound are they buying? Not Behringer’s.

It’s cool if people do it, people also buy mass produced meat in supermarkets. Me personally I care about where I put my money and what I enable with it.

ok.

6 Likes

Korg and Roland made a lot of expensive toys when I started making music… they were just some plastic cover with a little software inside which didn’t cost so much to produce, still the asking prices were huge and based on the name they built in the past with their REAL instruments.

What I am trying to say is that someone had to step in and put right prices. Behringer did that.

Also Uli realized what people wanted (those analog old synths) and delivered.

Ok, they are not initially made by Behringer and so it is to be talked how right or wrong that is… but about prices on synths, he made it clear that the prices most synth producers ask for are inflated.

(Let s be honest, Moog takes the insides of their synth also from China… and not only Moog).

3 Likes

How is the price right when you didn’t do the R&D?

True, but the synths themselves are not assembled with low-wage labour.

I’d be fine with higher costs if that meant the entire process were ethically and sustainably regulated, from mineral extraction all the way up to labour costs. I’d appreciate my instrument that much more.

Farm food, local bookstores, sustainable attire…it’s all very doable these days. The trick is, maybe not at the level of consumption people expect.

3 Likes

As you seem to be supporting the ‘Bad’ side esp. the work put in. Im curious what you think of ‘Sampling’? Is that bad as well?

2 Likes

If given appropriate acknowledgement/credit/compensation, no.

I think cheesy flips are cheesy, though. (Crave is a cheesy flip.)

I will say that, clones made out of a labour of love is, for me, very different than a means to boost your bottom line.

But fml these are all arguments that have been regurgitated so many times now it’s beginning to feel like a cheap B clone.

But Behringer do acknowledge the original manufacturer.

1 Like

My own, personal issue is not so much with the clones of old, vintage gear (actually I couldnt care less), but with the ripping off of gear that’s in production: where is the acknowledgement of Arturia and Moog; the (legally required) acknowledgement of Emilie is barely there.

But mostly I take issue with the whole economies of scale; unfettered capitalism thing. As it can be easily avoided in the synth world, I think it should be.

1 Like

I do think this is a legal loophole in the synth world. Say if it was a book it would be done for plagiarism. But there’s no Synths older that 100 years or so unfortunately :slight_smile:

Such pointless thread. Its like saying that someone cloned the guitar and sold them to the peoples. As if roland and yamaha and the other japanese manufacturers arent just as evil corps as behriinger, or you think that they didnt steal designs from others and then put the yakuza to make silence them or something… Thats how they work, them big corps. When money is in discussion there is no morality. I think…

1 Like

Wat?

So because Japanese must be Yakuza?

3 Likes

May I suggest a thing:

• if you are convinced that Behringer are bad/thieves/evil and won’t change your mind

or

• if you are convinced that Behringer are ok/just like others/Robin Hoods and won’t change your mind

Please don’t post here.
You’ve made up your mind, that’s cool.
No need for further proselytism.

5 Likes

I’ll be honest, you feel far strongly about this than I can even contemplate. Honestly, what Behringer do doesn’t bother me anymore than what all the other corporations we entertain do. If that makes me morally bankrupt then fine, but I can’t summon up a feeling I don’t have.

2 Likes

Nah. I Didn’t Mean that… read my post better. Just used it as a cultural refernce. No big conglomerate stay on top without help from the long arm of the underground. That i think is a rule in any country

Oh right.

Because it looked to me like you were accusing the likes of Roland and Yamaha of stealing other people’s IP by using the Yakuza to bully/threaten it out of them.

Pretty libelous stuff.