The Elektron Feedback Loop: January 2021

according to those questions…sure feels like it’s feeling out DAWs.

I don’t even understand how music gear can be socially responsible. That was my least favourite question.

3 Likes

Can’t you record quantized on the DT?

It has quantized recording tho right just double press live rec

An Elektron DAW would be pretty amazing. You can only imagine what they might do. And they already have a fair bit down with OB, total recall, transfer, plugins and the standalone recording apps. It seems more a natural evolution or next step rather than a leap, but it could serve Elektron users in many ways other DAWs don’t, and extend the machines in ways beyond the firmware or physical interfaces. But a fully fledged DAW is a tonne of work, rather than a sort of multi-track hub where everything Elektron is managed.

1 Like

what did you all ask for that the boxes didn’t do already. me…I asked for…MIDI RETRIG PLEASE!
:rofl: [please please please]

I think I misworded… I meant to say quantized sample recording, so the sampling can start and stop in time with the sequencer. Basically, I miss the sampling options from OT (record X bars or max length via trigs or quantized manual triggering).

I think a company that treats its employees well and makes high-quality gear is socially responsible. The best thing an electronics company can do for the environment is make something so solid, useful and desirable that it doesn’t get replaced for decades. The likes of Moog and Elektron do that.

13 Likes

A DAW is a lot of work, but I want everyone to follow Colugo’s twitter or Patreon, he is making Blockhead a brand new DAW that is pretty innovative. My reason for saying this, is that he is just one guy. Thats it. He doesnt have a big team behind him, and he doesnt have a lot of money, but his DAW in alpha stage while not ready for VST’s just yet, allows you to manipulate audio in ways that no other DAW can do.

This is why I think Elektron absolutely has the ability to do something wonderful with a DAW. A lot of ideas can obviously be taken from other DAW’s, and thats perfectly fine. There are standards of workflows that people expect anyway. They can however do some seriously amazing things with hardware integration.

2 Likes

Logic 4 Lyfe

3 Likes

Indeed, having an active forum is becoming a deciding factor in which gear/software I enjoy.

1 Like

Timestretching

I want that additional utility filter per track on the Digitakt, thanks in advance Electro CEO :pray:

4 Likes

That is a good point. For the question about social responsibility, all I could think of was Moog, because IIRC their USA factory workers each own a share, so it’s more like a co-operative rather than just corporate slavery.

I’m with you … just think about, you can prepare your A4/AR/AH/DT/DN within the Elektron-DAW for a gig or whatever … so the OB-plugin become the DAW itself (at last in my imagination).

In the survey i spoke shortly about a touchscreen (from my experience with MPC Live and now the Iridium) for editing - i feel very comfortable when using a touchscreen

I can imagin an empty hardware-platform (FPGA, DSP) - in the middle a touchscreen, plenty of in and outputs, or let’s say a DB25 which makes more sense, knobs and a variety of downloads of plugins, either for a complete buy or for a monthly fee

btw we already had a DSP platform (in 2003!) with so called skins to load - i had one once - but i wasn’t satisfied with it

https://www.chameleon.synth.net/english/chameleon/

Arturias Origin back in the days was also a very promising concept

and yeah, Elektron stocks would be nice

3 Likes

Rather than a DAW, I’d love to see Elektron’s take on something like the Zoom R16. A standalone mixer+multitrack recorder with expandable/switchable storage, a wide selection of effects, analog and digital (USB) individual outputs and maybe throw in some Analog Heat circuitry to add some oomph. The OT ticks some of these boxes but it’s still more of an instrument than a recording engineer’s tool.

2 Likes

A big portion of the questions were comparing Elektron to other manufacturers which was a bit surprising to me, since there is so much information about the wants and needs of Elektron users here. I mean its not like Elektron products and Moog or Roland stuff have much in common anyways.

I asked for another LFO for the AR and trig conditions and scale per track for the MnM and MD. Those changes would make them so much more powerful and less repetitive.

I forgot to mention it would be nice to have the same functionality (loop point modulation) on the sample engine of the AR mk2 that Digitone has. I was a bit disappointed they didn´t add it in the latest firmware update.

Nord has a tendency of sprinkling all of the cool functions on their instruments so that even if you buy the flagship model, you still can´t have all the key functionality in one instrument. Thats incredibly annoying and I hope that sort of strategy isn´t being adopted by Elektron.

2 Likes

It’s interesting thinking about the OT, particularly OB - which it doesn’t have. Someone mentioned this in another thread, but in lieu of OB a kind’ve automated sample management process.

Let’s say I record into a buffer and save it - that save is automatically - with USB cable attached, transfered to the Elektron DAW / hub, as can be done for further tracks. I don’t know what the limitations are, but it’s essentially performing the drag and drop functionality for you. And then manipulated, played back for you further and n the box from there.

Still, Elektrons paradigm is the pattern/bank, and I wonder how this would translate into a software scenario, or evolve and feedback onto the machines.

DAW’s like Live and Bitwig are so much further along in terms of how clips/scenes/tracks/groups are managed - but Elektron has nice one up on things like macros and stop tail effects shortcuts.

There’s plenty of opportunity for Elektron surely. It’s definitely felt like their line is pretty fleshed out for a while, so i guess it’s also not surprising they are wondering where to next. They’ve done and achieved a lot, and have said they don’t like to repeat themselves.

Elektron users are a fickle bunch who will probably be happy with whatever, but I think at the same time they will always be happy to just get a new complex box to chew their teeth into.

It’s been a downward slope since the Octatrack in terms of machine complexity, so all they have to do is tick upwards on that slope to please a lot of people, I think.

The problem with no OB support on the OT is that you have to mix (or even master) everything in the box and it can be very tedious, involving a lot of resampling and juggling effects. Alternatively you can record everything to a DAW one track at a time and use MIDI loopback for automation. It’s a lot of work and the reason why I’ll probably be using my OT more as a live instrument than studio gear.

1 Like

I think that it depends on how you use it, if you use it as a performance sampler then the emphasis is on live performance, if you want it as a DAW then might as well just use a DAW - what does the OT offer that can’t be done in the DAW aside from the performance features? It is pretty easy to create patterns on the OT then export the audio into a DAW, right? And you can of course create stuff on your DAW with all the mixing done and import these into the OT for live performance.

3 Likes