The enigma of Susumu Yokota

Every 6 months or so for the last few years I’ve done a search on Susumu Yakota and come up with well, not much. For such a genius his wikipedia is exceptionally brief, almost comically so if he hadn’t died so young :frowning:

Does anyone happen to have some obscure deep-house-web links to share or perhaps someone who is fluent in Japanese could pass along some translations or such?

9 Likes

one of my favorites, can’t really share any insights about him other than he has a ton of great music under many aliases. i think he transitioned into more approachable dance music while many of his contemporaries did not

1 Like

From what little I read and maybe I’m wrong; wasn’t he a successful house DJ in Europe before he made those absolute classics like Acid Mt. Fuji and Symbol?

It probably helps to spell his ‘translated’ name correctly (Yokota); too young indeed

1 Like

was into this around the time he was releasing stuff. His music was always in cd shops, in sections like ‘contemporary classical’. His music is definitely unique and carries a signature with it. It’s almost a sort musique concrete approach to ambient, not the sort of wall of noise-based approach many folks seem to employ/engage these days. Yokota’s ambient almost was more cheery and wooden. I remember a Murcof (another artist worth checking out from that time - Martes is a classic) remix - or at least - I couldn’t tell where the track originated, or if it was a sample that both artists used. But yes lots to plunder and savour over with attention. A unique and prolific artist

3 Likes

orig-

yokota’s take-

2 Likes

Some of this one in there too

3 Likes

Sakura is sucha beautiful album!

2 Likes

and of course this one, which tastefully restructures a track by a certain Cornish chap whose work seems to be popular with some folk around these parts

4 Likes

Bloody love that Martes album. Picked it up around the same time i discovered Yokota’s Grinning Cat, and picked up the Leaf label sampler ‘lost for words’. Was totally in love with the sort of sounds on that label at the time 2003-ish. A personal golden age for electronic music

2 Likes
2 Likes

Try searching for him in katakana, it might uncover some more Japan only results…

ススム ヨコタ

5 Likes

I have no information to add, but I have most of his albums & they’re always unique & interesting. He often used familiar samples which makes spotting samples fun (such as Harold Budd, Steve Reich, Penguin Cafe & even Laurel & Hardy).

Here’s some personal faves:

2 Likes

I was listening to this collection of his Image: 1983-1998 last night which I hadn’t spent any time with before and made me wonder if he was actually a multi-instrumentalist? It has some weird janky circus type music on it but also a couple pieces that are mainly guitar, and this lovely track that I thought was actually Gigi Masin when I first heard it:

Also, Spotify has this “new release” of his from 2022 called Baroque if anyone into him hasn’t checked that out yet.

1 Like