The Guitar Thread

I’m embarrassed to admit that I have a Deco, which obviously does flanging. It must be that particular tone of a guitar I’m after.

For sure. Robin Guthrie for me.

1 Like

For modulation seekers. This looks quite interesting. It looks like many of the best parts of the Strymon Möbius without the annoying menu diving. I would have kept my Strymon if it wasn’t for that. This also adds lofi parameters, which could be interesting. The vibrato sounds were the most interesting to me. Probably not something I’ll pick up, but I could see this being good for someone that needs a lot of sounds on their board in a small package.

3 Likes

Well I looked up the black fudge demos. I could only find a couple and while the actual demos sucked the pedal sounds at least in the ballpark. Apparently they use the same op amps as the original. Nobody really pushed it unfortunately.
I was impressed enough that I went to their website and upon seeing that they are on sale I ordered one. I’m excited to do an a/b comparison with my mfz when this one shows up! Fingers crossed.

1 Like

I can’t wait to hear your review!

1 Like

Here’s a reverb article with a link to their guitar gear.

2 Likes

Magnatone! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Speaking of Les Pauls…

I spent most of my guitar-playing life telling myself I didn’t like them; “too-heavy. Cramped scale length. Total blues lawyer vibes”.

A couple of years back I decided that I wanted one, for reasons unclear to me even now. It was the first year of the new Gibson management team, and after reading (mostly) good things about the quality of their output, I was convinced to take the plunge on a brand new Les Paul Standard 60s edition because of a killer deal from Sweetwater ($2000 - these things are retailing for $2700 years right now!)

It’s just an incredible guitar. So many tones are able to be coaxed from it via subtle adjustments of the volume and tone knobs. And nothing beats the smell of a nitro finish guitar when you open the case!

I absolutely love my Jazzmaster. Between the two, I feel like I have most of my tonal preferences covered. Need a P-90 guitar though :joy:

1 Like

EVERYONE needs a P90 guitars :smiley:

4 Likes

How about a 3xP90 guitar?

13 Likes

Haha. Like it. Love the bound shell pink too!!

2 Likes

I love that!

Dude, I just did something nuts. So after going down memory lane about Les Pauls. I started looking around a bit. I never could figure out most of the vintage Japanese Les Paul lawsuit guitars, but the ones that get pretty much universal love are the Yamaha SG series, particularly the 1000/2000. The guitarist for one of my favorite Japanese bands of all time, Eastern Youth, plays a 1000, and I’ve always been a huge fan.

Well today, I came across a supposedly rare SG800 model from 1979-1980 at a really great price ($600). It’s been completely gone over by a tech and is supposed to be in excellent shape (with only minor cosmetic issues from age). It even has the coil taps from the higher-end model. I’ve seen a lot of sunburst and black ones over the years, but I’ve never seen this red oil finish and it just spoke to me.

Anyway, this will be coming my way. First new guitar in a very long time.

12 Likes

I had a beat up SG2000 for a time… you will not be disappointed. Incredible guitars. Believe all the hype, they are legendary for a reason.

1 Like

So glad to hear that. I’ll report back next week when I get it. It’s gonna make a great birthday present.

I wish Yamaha would have reissued these instead of doing their Revstar.

2 Likes

beautiful guitar, John McGeogh played on of these and was one of the greats

2 Likes

Yeah, just about everyone making interesting music in the early 80’s was using a Yamaha.

1 Like

I have a lawsuit strat. I replaced all the hardware and it’s an excellent guitar. I don’t know the exact year but it’s very similar to my authentic 77 Tele. So I’d say go for a '72. :wink:

Do like Thee Michelle Gun Elephant by any chance? My favourite band, if that’s possible.

1 Like

They certainly do… My newish twang :point_down:

6 Likes