The Guitar Thread

How do you setup your guitar with the synth pedals? Direct from guitar to the pedal and record the pedal output into DAW (or sampler of choice)?

Hereā€™s a pic of my rig from earlier in the thread:

My chain begins with guitar going direct into the HX Effects with eq and compression taming the signal. After that, I have 4 fx slots, 2 fx loops, and usually a looper to work with. These can all be arranged modularly. Fx loop 1 is the voodoo bass, Microsynth, fx17, and drive. Loop 2 is Superego +, Enzo, mel9. The OBNE expression ramper allows for presets with the Superego. This all goes to the HX Stomp for amp and cab duties so I record direct with a variety of simulated setups.

2 Likes

@DimensionsTomorrow
After doing some a/b testing with my trusty old mfz1 and my brand new black fudge I have to say Iā€™m impressed.
Itā€™s not an exact 1:1 clone in that the controls have more range on the fudge than the original, especially the volume (like maybe three or four times the volume boost on tap). So far Iā€™ve tested it with humbuckers and p90s. With regards to tone/ voicing there was a subtle difference when using humbuckers, Iā€™d say that the fudge has slightly more pronounced high end response than the mfz1. With p90s itā€™s essentially identical. Of course matching the tones was achieved with the knobs in different positions on each pedal but with only two controls it was easy to do.
For whatever itā€™s worth Iā€™ve tried it through two smaller amps (fender acoustasonic jr and a silver stripe peavey minx) and a di mixer channel (Midas) through beyerdynamic 880s so far. These are all pretty revealing, characterless rigs. Iā€™ll see how it does though some of my bigger tube amps and 412 cabs later for a more ā€œreal worldā€ test. At some point Iā€™ll open it up and compare the circuit boards too.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the spring tank info! I really wish I was a bit handier with electronics. If I ever get the extra time, Iā€™d like to try my hand at a few projects.

My tank is one of the 90s reissues. I had one in a bit better shape, but unloaded it around 2011 when I was downsizing my studio. I missed it dearly so ended up picking this one up. Just like Space Echos, I used to see original 1960s tanks quite often around Tokyo at pretty reasonable prices about 15 years ago, but those days are over it seems. This is definitely a major part of my sound and pairs so well with my Vibrochamp. Pretty much the perfect pairing for my space.

Another reverb unit Iā€™m looking around for is the Roland equivalent of this Boss unit (the Roland-branded ones are more common in Japan). I like the size of the unit and that itā€™s meant to go into an amp, unlike some of the rack units Iā€™ve looked at. There is a companion delay unit that also looks cool and apparently has a cool preamp that will add a bit of drive. These can sometimes be found for like $100 still.

I also like 60s surf, spaghetti western, and trashy instrumental tones, hence my obsession with reverb, delay, and fuzz. :slight_smile:

Speaking of fuzz, so glad that pedal is working out so far, and Iā€™m really excited to hear more. That company wonā€™t ship outside of the US, but itā€™s something to consider for when I am finally able to travel back home to see my folks again. Pedals make good trip souvenirs and are easy to fit in a suitcase. :slight_smile:

BTW, not sure if I mentioned it, but I love that Maxon 8-bit delay so much that I couldnā€™t resist the analog equivalent. I bought an AD-202 off of a guy in Japan that had been using it a reggae sound system. Iā€™m really psyched to hear it. I had been on the look out for an AD-230, which is supposedly like the holy grail delay, but they are hard to come by, and I have read that the AD-202 is very highly acclaimed for dub. Anyway, it will be here later this week.

Sounds awesome on synths as well.

Gotta run to work, but look forward to extending this conversation later as I could talk about reverbs, delays, and fuzz pedals all day. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How to do set up and use your enzo? The thing can make so many sounds itā€™s sometimes hard to get the synth sound I want out it.

Iā€™ve the meris switcher, the effects on it are so good I use preset one just to use the modulation and octave to make a truly awesome bass sound for my guitar - the octave in this bass is amazing - then flick to mono synth for synth bass lines.

Preset 2 I just have the dry effects with ping pong modulated delay with some ring on it, again sounds way better than any of my other delay pedals.

Present 3 is usually a really slow arp that I use as back ground on my guitar loops. Present 4 is my ā€œfuck aboutā€ channelā€¦.

I canā€™t make nice pad sounds, seem to struggle getting poly mode to work how I want, I need another compressor after it due itā€™s mad volume spike issues. How do you get these sounds? Iā€™ve had some nice ones and saved to my switcher but sometimes holding the alt func button makes it save over your present really easily, pain in the arse. Hence why I only fuck about on present 4ā€¦

Be good to hear from other enzo owners how they use it? Iā€™ve got to good level of knowledge and use with it but defo think I should be getting more from it, looking for inspiration! Thanks

New guitar synth (no MIDI) app for IOS, currently in Beta:

Instructions to get the beta, copied from YT description

How to join the beta:
Space Guitar Synthesizer - iPad (iOS 12 and up)
Includes AUv3 version

1. make sure youā€™ve installed ā€œtestflightā€ on your ipad.
  2. then click on the following link Join the PD Space Guitar Synthesizer beta - TestFlight - Apple

Discussion thread on vguitarforums: PD Space Guitar Synthesizer BETA 1 Trial is online

Jamie Mallender playing with it for 1.5 hours although personally, iā€™d rather hop onto TestFlight and play with it myself for 1.5 hours.

Holy crap those sound good! Definitely keeping an eye out.

1 Like

So I have the Meris MIDI IO which bumps it up to 16 presets, and one of the expression pedals goes to CC#4 which essentially gives me morphing between toe up and toe down presets. Beyond that I have 4 presets each for the different synth types. Gives a whole lot of variation to work with since small changes to a preset can make a huge impact. I agree that volume issues can happen, but having eq and comp pre Enzo helps to tame all that.

I agree poly mode is pretty finicky. Having slow a envelope swelling the filter in seems to mask the glitches. Also certain chords voicing work better than others. Same goes for the arpeggiator. I think both want to be fed chordal information that isnā€™t too complex.

Took me a while to get this setup to do my bidding:
From guitar to AB splitter.
A goes to RYRA Klone / wah - henriksen amp with obscura or ct5 in the effect loop. Royer121/sm57 mics to SSL 6 ch1&2.

B goes to ch1 on the infinity looper which goes to octatrack thru.

Bass guitar goes to infinity ch2 and octatrack thru. I could use midi to sync the looper to the OT but I make use of the drift in sync for my musical aims.

I may get a pedal for the bass to treat it before the OT so interested ina few of the above posts, esp the Origin Effects pedals. May also get an iridium for the looper. Or just stick as is it sounds ok with filter and compression.

4 Likes

Maxon AD-202. Out of a Jamaican dub sound system down near Kansai and into my rig. It sounds super lush, especially cascading into the DM1000. Both are very tape-like and they pair really well together! Great sounds for everything from 50s-60s rockabilly, surf, spaghetti western to Jamaican dub or psychedelic rock.

The AD-202 looks beautiful as well. I wish more modern gear looked like that.

Iā€™ve only been playing clean so far. Tomorrow Iā€™ll try adding some fuzz, Mu-tron, and phaser. I want to try running some synths and vocals through the delay units as well. Maybe this weekend.

7 Likes

Tried the app for the first time last night. I used my Line 6 HX Stomp XL as the audio interface into the iPad. Fun and sounds ok, although I could not eliminate the dry guitar tone. I think it was because I was listening to the speaker that was connected the HX Stomp XL output.

Itā€™s a polyphonic app btwā€¦

For the next trial I will connect my Roland Go:Mixer Pro to the iPad, to isolate the app sound. I inquired about the controls on the AB forum and got this response:

• Space Guitar filter:
  • The filter has a default cutoff , which is called Pluck.
  • Whenever a tone goes louder suddenly, the filter cutoffs go direction Bloom . Sense is the sensitivity for going that direction, and Attack is the speed. So attack is the transition speed that this envelop follower uses.
  • If you set sense to 0, the whole tone is governed by Pluck and Resonance.
  • if you set attack to minimal, the filter is position immediately between Pluck and Bloom, depending on the sense setting (and the strength of the incoming signal)
  • Nois is currently only working on saw & square
  • the Pluck and Bloom knob scale is notes: so if you set one of them to 24, it means 2 octaves above the normal note.
  • The waves are on top of the original, so if the filter is close to 0, the sound will resemble the original guitartone.

Holy crap the Sonuus g2m is fun into an A4. Low latency, tracks well pitch wheel or chromatic. Also fun on a 303 but I still just sound like Jimi dammit.

I want to try it will a square wave tremolo in front.

1 Like

Have you ever used the MIDI Guitar app or plugin? I wonder how this compares.

I donā€™t really use apps or plugins, but Iā€™m sure itā€™s quite good.

Another really impressive thing about the G2M is itā€™s battery powered. Iā€™m all about minimal equipment.

Now I have a midi controller I can play intuitively.

1 Like

Revstar is/was a popular guitar model on this forum. Yamaha released redesigned Revstar models, including the high end Made in Japan Pro line

2 Likes

Oh and Yamaha got people like Noveller to demo the new Revstars. Posting 10 videos in one post is not my style so just go here

Lovely stuff! Those late 70ā€™s Yamaha 6 stringers are very nice. As well as the BB Iā€™ve got a couple of Matsumoku era Aria basses, an SB1000 and an SB900 as well as a Lawsuit Antoria ES335 style semi. Love those 70ā€™s Japanese guitars. My mate has a couple of Tokai LoveRocks. Iā€™ve read their 70ā€™s SpringySounds etc are very good too.

6 Likes

The best. A friend from the US just contacted me the other day asking about ā€œlawsuitā€ guitars. He let his Greco go a while ago and really regrets it, but the prices have skyrocketed.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the Antoria. Lawsuit giveaway is the headstock shape. Post Lawsuit era the shapes was changed so as not to be the same as Gibsons. Lost of folk claim to have a Lawsuit guitar but only the ones with the correct shape and built in a handful of factories before a specific date are genuine.

2 Likes

I have two Grecos and they are my favorite guitars hands down (and Iā€™ve owned a lot of Gibsons, Fenders, etc.). I bought them a couple of years ago before the prices started to rise. I have a 1978 Les Paul copy and a 1989 SG copy.

EDIT: Iā€™m thinking about selling this SGā€¦

4 Likes