The Guitar Thread

Wow did not expect it to sound this good. Sounds like a gypsy jazz acoustic guitar.

2 Likes

Another Bass rig in a box.
Has a lot of range of clean to mean. The (ā€œall analogā€) speaker sim sounds better to me than the ones Iā€™ve tried and thoroughly indistinguishable from the real thing, so, itā€™s going to be a permanent fixture here.
Ridiculously expensive, but considering it sounds as good as a full rig in a studio, itā€™s priced fairly.

:elephant: that 9v is upped to 18v internally

8 Likes

Oh wow, you got one?! My coworker sent me a link to some videos yesterday and they sounded great. My favorite was the Bassman one, but both sounded fantastic. Then I saw the price. $700 here in Japan. Ouch.

Iā€™ll give the Bassman a shot another day. I chose the Ampeg because I know it perfectly, (and of course post-punk/Peter Hook vibe) so itā€™d be a no brainer decision to keep or return.
Definitely a keeper, but I donā€™t like how the dry/wet mix sounds when the Drive is past 2 oā€™clock. If Iā€™m maxing the Drive and want some dry signal, it sounds better with a proper dry split signal to the mixer.

1 Like

Fantastic! I was obsessed with amp-in-a-box pedals for about a decade, and those sound great to me.

How good are you with a solder gun?

You could actually build a really high-quality Bassman speaker sim to put on your dry signal. I had someone make one of these for me a long time ago and it was really nice. I let it go when I downsized and (stupidly) cleared out most of my pedals.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/condor.html

Sound clips in here:

http://www.runoffgroove.com/salvo.html

Can you connect it directly into a typical bass cabinet?

Mischievously proficient at modifying pedals :smiley_cat:

Yes. Thereā€™s a normal jack for Amp Out, but no cab sim on it for obvious reason. You can use it in parallel with the DI. The Amp Out uses the ā€œbigā€ knob settings, an you can tweak that with the little eq knobs if you need to back off.
I patched the Amp Out to some fx pedals, which sounds fine too.

2 Likes

Anybody here use rack gear? Just curious what people are using.

Iā€™m a big Origin fan (I think I have 5-6 of their pedals). The SV looks awesome. Iā€™m tempted to get one.

2 Likes

no just floor pedals for me. iā€™ve been meaning to share my humble pedal chain soon. maybe when iā€™m not at work tomorrow i can post my set up.

1 Like

I have a Helix rack im usingā€¦ or under-using lol. its quite capable,
and a Laney IRT studio 15, an amp in rack format.

2 Likes

I may have asked this much earlier in the threadā€¦ so, my apologies.

to @JamesM and anyone else:

ā€”Active Bass with onboard preamp EQ (Stingray)
ā€”ā€”into a Power Amp (QSC?)
ā€”ā€”ā€”into Bass Cab Speaker (from Mesa or whoever)

Terrible idea? I figure I would not need another preamp EQ sectionā€¦ so why not bypass it altogether with a rig like that?

I pulled together all of my high gain distortion pedals for a family photo. Including my old original UK Guvā€™nor.

13 Likes

Less and less all the time. I used to use all sorts of rack gear with guitar/ bass in the 90s and early 2ks.
I still have some rack power amps that get some use at gigs for bi/ tri amping setups. I often use a Rane splitter mixer to run pedals in parallel or to split a signal to multiple amps (I have two of those Rane units). I also have several home made spring reverb units that Iā€™ve made that are rackmount. Oh, and a pair of boss se50s. The rest of my rack gear (and some of that stuff too) is just for electronic music.

1 Like

I think youā€™d go thru a lot of 9v batteries in the Bass guitar.
Most times I see ppl bypassing a preamp they are going thru a pedal drive that is essentially playing the part of a preamp.

1 Like

That sounds awesome. I was just looking for something like this for my dub projects. Plus, I just really like spring reverb in general. I have a Fender tank, but I definitely donā€™t want to be whacking that to get a crash spring sound. :slight_smile:

At the moment, Iā€™m looking for a cheap old one. I really like the sound of the Tascam in these videos.

1 Like

I have to retract this. Using the low cut switch with the way I had pedal EQ set made it sound way better. Did have to dial up the bass EQ, but now itā€™s tight!

1 Like

Board with the OBNE Maw is vocal chain. Still figuring out the sound, but I love the options Iā€™ve got for guitar and vocals. Eventually need a better chorus but the danelectro is going strong since 2003 lol

4 Likes

Has anyone on here got a Chase Bliss Automatone and tried it on their synths or VSTs?

Having a lot of fun sending Ableton Wavetable through some guitar pedals at the moment. Fairfield Barbershop is nice tooā€¦. Anyway, always wanted to try the Automatone and if it goes well with synths too, it might be the excuse I need lol

That tascam sounds really good! Thanks for posting those.
Iā€™ve noticed your old fender verb box in some of your pics. Beautiful unit. What year is it? Iā€™d have a hard time smacking it very hard. Haha.
Making the diy ones is easy if you can do (very) basic electronic work. Some of mine are just a bunch of different reverb tanks pulled from old devices (organs, pa mixers, amps) and rehoused in empty rack units. Depending on size I can often fit 2 or 3 in a 1u case. Sometimes they need some extra circuitry for the driver or recovery side depending on the impedances but not always. Iā€™ve also made a few out of random garbage springs (folding lamps, drawer glides, etc) and driven them with whatever transducers are in my scrap pile (small speakers, dc motors, large piezos) and usually use piezos as contact mics for the pickups. Thereā€™s something uniquely beautiful about sending sound through a solid object and amplifying it before it propagates in the air.
I love dub and instrumental surf so Iā€™m hooked on springs.
Oh and side note on our previous discussion; the Black Fudge pedal showed up yesterday! Iā€™ll start putting it through its paces today.

1 Like