The Guitar Thread

question for all you fellow guitarists lurking on this forum. This is something I’ve thought a lot about recently.

On your strumming hand, how do you hold fingers 2, 3, and 4? Are they loose and open, or do you keep them tucked in under your first finger holding the pick? I was always the former but I’ve recently tried to change my technique to incorporate the latter technique and its been a bit tough to transition into. I am also always trying to keep my pinky grounded on the bridge, something I’ve noticed Kurt Vile does a lot.

Also just FYI not a guitar noob, have played for twenty years and gigged extensively (can offer proof too!) Just trying to re-evaluate and get better.

1 Like

I use a combo tuck and sometimes loose. I’m learning sweep picking now which is the most challenging skill for me thus far besides fast alternate picking diatonic scale sequences and tapping.

1 Like

did you take a look at that link I posted? the house brand is Grand amps, but if you order as a client (multiple units) they’ll relabel them for you so I shudder to think what brand may be selling the same thing literally, for extra marked up prices.

this is the main page which shows more product, like I said if you wanted 1 piece, you would have to “request a sample” and pay whatever is listed as the sample price, because this is a business 2 business website I think.

China Musical Instruments Manufacturer, Guitar Amplifier, Electric Guitar Supplier - Shenzhen Grand Technology Co., Ltd. (made-in-china.com)

Tucked in, and when picking (not strumming) they’re often touching the non-played strings to damp them, along with the fleshy part at the bottom of the thumb.

I don’t even use the attenuator, one of the my amps has it removed, and to be honest, 5W is manageable at home. I only ever have the volume below half.
It’s really a great amp. I’ve been through many, including vintage tweeds, and this is the best bang for buck around for that classic tweed champ sound but through a 12” speaker. I replaced one speaker for an eminence C Rex, and it sounds marginally better, but the stock speaker is great as well.

https://www.knightonmusiccentre.com/products/panama-conqueror-5w-tube-combo

3 Likes

Very quick recording on a song I’m working on at the moment. Not eq’d anything so a little OTT in the base etc. Need to try and move the mics around and see what works best… and try to get the tremolos roughly in time.

9 Likes

sounds great to me, is this a strat in the neck position?

1 Like

I guess the answer is both then. Thanks for your input on this. How long have you been playing?

1 Like

About ten years this time around, with some teenage thrashing the first time :slight_smile:

1 Like

@samvanlan ?

1 Like

Thanks! It’s a twin P90 all mahogany, les Paul special type guitar.

2 Likes

really, not too dark for a mahogany guitar. what are the p90’s? anything special? more single coil than most soapbar or maybe your amps shape the tone so much…

forgive me if I do some unauthorized noodling over your track, very fun to listen when a guitar is close by, think my gold foil single coils might sound nice over the top :wink:

1 Like

Haha, noodle away! Be interesting to hear what you do with it

It’s a Collings 290 with throbak puckups :grimacing:

Think the reverb gives it the brightness maybe.

2 Likes

collings makes a fine instrument.

2 Likes

Had to sell a load of stuff to afford it, but was WELL worth it.

2 Likes

I completely understand, I’m down to 1 guitar. well, one guitar, one project guitar, and one half broken guitar that I hang onto for sentimental reasons so call it 3 guitars if you have to but it’s 1 until I get some strings on the project.

frankly I don’t even use my amp anymore. I mean I could, but I don’t.

1 Like

Ha yessiree @sezare56 and @853 i build/use self built amps. They are very fun to build and can be insanely frustrating to troubleshoot…it actually makes it 2 hobbies in 1!

I just built a black panel vibroverb that is by far my most favorite amp ive ever heard. Now im building the brown panel vibroverb to see how that is. These amps are $1000 in parts alone.

Here’s the the vibroverb and then a marshall 18w behind it that i built:

7 Likes

These pickups are amazing and its really sucky that they cost amazing too:). Installed their paf’s in a friends guitar. Incredible.

2 Likes

Always been a Lollar fanboy, but these have changed that for sure. But yes, crazy prices.

2 Likes

Ha! Im a Montys fanboy. And i wait patiently for a good deal on throbaks…

1 Like