The Guitar Thread

SG with a bigsby, lovely!!!

2 Likes

Looks like a helluva rig. Is it just me or has that SG had some headstock repairs to it?

Itā€™s a 1989 Greco Mint Collection SG shipped to me from Japan in very bad shape so yes, it has had extensive repairs. I did the Neil Young mod to the Bigsby (aftermarket piece that the arm fastens to with no stopper so you can pick the strings while holding the arm, also bent the arm closer to strings). Itā€™s setup the way I always wanted but could never figure out how untilā€¦Google.
Itā€™s a beat up guitar cosmetically but after setting it up, it plays like a dream.

5 Likes

Just bought this Player Strat as it was a steal. I recently bought a Gretsch hollow body but it sounded terrible through my new and first amp. Read later that the amp doesnā€™t take humbuckers so well and just wanted something that I knew would sound good, regardless of my questionable technique. The Strat sounds lovely.

I now see how buying amps and guitars can become addictive. Iā€™m already eyeing up vintage amps!

3 Likes

Old post I know but, I use a helix with a small pedalboard, and a boss es-5 foot switch that changes the way the pedals are on or off as well as sends midi to the helix. Best of both worlds I guess

Sort of an impulse buy (used at a decent price), as I was wanting to add a Tonebender. Silicon not germanium so it probably wonā€™t satisfy the purists, but not a bad pedal. Really muscular, focused fuzz sound, so sits nicely between a Fuzz Face and Big Muff.

Iā€™ve found the secret to be keeping the Attack (fuzz level) knob down pretty low as itā€™s still got ridiculous amounts of fuzz, but cleans up into OD territory with the guitar volume knob down, so you can get some different sounds out of it.

Iā€™m tempted to get an Analog Man MK1.5 clone next time Iā€™m in the US, as I love the Sun Face he did for me, and it would be a different vibe to this MKIII.

Anyone else try this Legends of Fuzz series? I like the way they look.

5 Likes

I like how you said itā€™s muscular, like its been hittin the gym.

muscular and focused like me before I rediscovered the joy of carbs.

2 Likes

You can still enjoy carbs as long as you focus on hitting the weights!

1 Like

I wish you luck maintaining that optimism once you glide past 40 into the abyss

Always!

Over 40 here, no abyss! Burn those calories with exercise and all good to enjoy those carbs.

1 Like

I will try and learn from your example and hope that your sparkling optimism is both contagious and transcendent. My excuses and dimmed outlook are probably the biggest part of the problem. Thanks for being positive.

2 Likes

Lifeā€™s no dress rehearsal, enjoy it while you can!!

ainā€™t that the truth.

1 Like

The Dā€™Angelico Melanie Faye DC arrived today. Iā€™m pleased with how it looks and sounds. Looks just like the guitar in Melanie Fayeā€™s most recent Dā€™Angelico video:

It balances well for standup playing with a strap too. Itā€™s not too heavy but the body has just enough weight to keep the neck from sinking.

I also got the CFG Zero Gravity strap. Itā€™s too long for my Fender guitars, but just the right length for the Melanie Faye DC.

1 Like

I think that guitar would look great with dot inlays

I was never one to think too hard about fretboard inlays.

Dā€™Angelico didnā€™t do dot inlays until the introduction of the Dā€™Angelico Tour semi-hollows.

No dot inlays on their solidbodies or full hollows

that looks really classy to me, not sure when it happened but at some point I started preferring dots to blocks. Are those painted with a matte finish? yours looks at least like a satin finish, not full matte for sure but these look matte to me.

Iā€™ve always been an inlay noticer, of course it doesnā€™t change how a guitar sounds or plays.

Are the f holes on your D bound or is it faux binding like a natural wood edge?

1 Like

Their website just says gloss finish for neck, headstock and body. Might have missed something though.

No idea about D vs faux binding. The edges of the f holes are white

If theyā€™re white and itā€™s not maple itā€™s itā€™s probably real and not that faux binding like PRS uses where they just mask off a portion of the wood and scrape the rest of the edge before clear coat. I was just referring to Dā€™Angelico as D.

The website says gloss about the model you ordered or the ones with the dots? Those dot models look like there is no gloss whatsoever.

Website says gloss finish on the Tour models. Havenā€™t seen them in person so, dunno?