The Guitar Thread

It’s a money box. For picks :laughing:

You could solve the problem by getting something to go instrument to line level, but I’d get some kind of an amp in a box pedal (huge range of those depending on what you want to spend and the kind of amp you want to simulate) as guitars will sound a lot better with some kind of amp/cab simulation. Bass can go in direct through a mixer as noted above, but I think it too will benefit from some kind of amp/cab sim.

Tech 21 is kind of middle of the road, Joyo is cheap, and UAD is high end. Lots of other choices as well.

1 Like

do you have active pickups like emg? if so, you don’t need a pre-amp unless you want it for tone purposes.

it’s easier to make a guitar sound good, I have a couple of these they’re super cheap and it will bring your guitar up to line level for around the $10 price point. Spend your money on a bass specific DI if you need one, the needs of guitar and bass are too different to want one pedal that does both and hope for good results, bass is harder to di a good sound out of. I’d focus on that.
Abody Ultra Low-Noise 4-Channel Line Mixer Mini Audio Mixer for Guitar - Walmart.com

1 Like

Pedal of the day!
Slow Gear clone.
Inspired to play some Corgis

Everybody’s gotta play slow attack sometime :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I don’t have a mixer, sadly. I’ve been doing everything at line level with just Elektron boxes. The few times I’ve used my guitar or bass, I’ve been using my ancient Line 6 Toneport UX2, but it requires a laptop and isn’t as immediate as I’d like.

Yeah, that’s what I’m looking for. One pedal for basic sound shaping and to output line level to keep my setup as small as possible. I did find a few bass preamp pedals that seemed interesting ( Eden WTDI World Tour DI & Bass Preamp and Fender Downtown Express Bass Station), but am worried my guitar won’t sound good on them as opposed to a guitar preamp pedal.

No, just passive pickups. I have a Squier telecaster and a Squier vintage modified Jazz bass.

As someone that’s messed around with guitars and samplers for a long time, I would also suggest using a looper pedal as the go between. It’s pretty darn hard to nail performances when going straight into a sampler (especially if you aren’t an experienced guitarist). Loopers are designed with perfect guitar loops in mind (some even quantize), so it’s easier to use the foot switch to nail a performance at a certain BPM and then sample that into your Digitakt, IMO.

2 Likes

they make these for guitar and there’s one for bass. if you’re on a budget they sound ok and have efx loop. line in. cab out. line out for recording. mostly they are cheap and sound passable and have tone shaping.
Hotone Clean Tone Guitar Amp Head 5 Watts Class AB Amplifier Siva Boogie NLA-10 - Walmart.com

andertons has a good demo of the guys playing them through marshall cabs and being impressed with the tone. the distorted ones don’t really have a clean channel so be careful to buy a clean tone model if you decide to try it.

and +1 for looper unless you plan to record to like a zoom and then send that into dt. put on the spot, 33 seconds is not a lot to mess around with multiple takes.

1 Like

Joyo American Sound is a very good sounding and very cheap Fender amp in a box (it’s a clone of a Tech21 pedal)

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Yep, I’ve recorded straight into the Digitakt before, and it’s hard. It’s either a lot of p-locking an OK-ish take, or doing a bunch of takes to get it right.

2 Likes

I just use a compressor pedal, works fine and sounds good or can even use cheap overdrives with the level up and gain/overdrive way down. Never used an amp in pedal before tho so can’t compare.

1 Like

@Eaves I use an Eventide MixingLink for this kind of thing. It converts anything to anything else. Will work for mic, guitar, bass, and also let you mix them, or put stuff in an FX loop.

Not super cheap, but endlessly useful.

I also recommend the Digitone’s distortion for guitar.

1 Like

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/mustang-micro/2311300000.html

This does everything you want, is cheap and dead simple to use (and it sounds great!).

2 Likes

@alspacka Wow, that looks super convenient! With that I don’t need extra desk space or a PSU. It looks exactly like what I’m looking for, gonna watch some reviews.

1 Like

I have one and it sounds great. It is picky with headphones though. IIRC needs 80ohms or less.

1 Like

My third Harley benton guitar.
Again impressive price/quality ratio. 68€ for an electro acoustic nylon guitar. Price of a 4 band eq preamp/mic ?

6 Likes

Had a gig Saturday. Nice looking rig, right?

Then when I got home, this setup was waiting (with the Jaguar plugged into it).

16 Likes

I’ve got one - it sounds great, has a dedicated bass amp sim and none more tiny too! Love it - having listened to your music I reckon you will too.

1 Like

@853 @redstevo that’s good to hear! I ordered after watching an hour long demo of all the amps and effects. Really looking forward to trying it out!

2 Likes

Nice setup! Those Music Man amps are special…

1 Like

…and HEAVY

1 Like