The improvised techno thread

Can’t say, you’ll have to look for it, but some synths have random sequences generated Like db-01 I think, or with modular for sure there are specific modules for this

Octatrack midi sequencer plus any synth that talks midi.
Random custom LFO designer shape assigned to note. (Can lock to scale or not)
Not quite the same thing as sample and hold sequence, but pretty damn good.

1 Like

Leploop

Solid demo: https://youtu.be/uvtvZWRlSjo

I have my new lxr-02 and OT set up nicely. Currently trying to decide on the synth to accompany them. Current leading candidate is the hydrasynth desktop. I’ve decided to stay away from eurorack, my wallet isn’t ready for that yet.

2 Likes
1 Like

With the Faderfox MX12 I have now much better control over DT and OT. Next time I will start with empty patterns for more improvising

2 Likes

Got to do a live set on air for Pattern Berlin with my friend Kerst. It’s all improvisation on my part with the modular, then the drums are handled in Live but still tweaked and played live. Always super fun to do these.

7 Likes

Nice ! :smiley:

1 Like

Here is an improvised Techno Live jam i turned into a track.
I just pressed “record” and there you go. My goal is to finish more Tracks out of jams.

9 Likes

There I go. Noodling around with AR MK2 + Digitone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not the kind of stuff I’m doing, but it’s special. In a good way. Like it!

And another one. Got some nice Glide going.
Been using “CTRL ALL” (on filter frequency and envelope amount mostly) for Digitone a lot, Func + NO is good friend. Combined with a solid “keep Bassdrum short”-Perf. macro on AR MK2 it worked out pretty well imo.

2 Likes

If someone is interested how we kind of improvise is free to ask.

6 Likes

Thought I’d post in this thread again. Recently I’ve been playing with my mini Erica synths setup of an lxr-02 and db-01. Both are great for improvising, especially the db-01 sequencer and the Euclidean sequencer feature of the lxr-02. What I’m missing now is a little bit more sound sources/textures to fill out the tracks. I’m considering a few approaches to this and I’d like to hear any feedback/opinions you have on them. These ideas are a bit vague at the minute as I try to distil down to what I want/need.

Idea 1: add a third box, something with its own sequencer, knob per function and polyphony for pads and atmospheres. It really needs to be knob per function for improvisation.

Idea 2: add some pedals for a couple of the lxr voices. I would like the pedals to add texture, create sound/reverb beds, that sort of thing. Any suggestions for pedals? Again, the pedals should be ‘playable’ and without menu diving.

Idea 3: Create a mini Eurorack case for those 2 lxr voices. There are so many creative fx available in eurorack that I could use to create those pads/interesting sounds to fill out the tracks.

Would appreciate any input here. I think the key here is that whatever I incorporate, it needs to be playable and immediate and pretty flexible (not asking much I know…)

2 Likes

AR MK2 + Digitone

1 Like

Budget ?

Personaly with such a setup I would add a blackbox. It’s pretty close to my own live setup (blackbox + drum machine + bass line). In the past it used to be bbox + tr8s + neutron and now it’s bbox + dfam + lxr02, but it’s the same idea.

1 Like

I’m closely listening in what reactions will follow - this textures/pads/layers domain is still something I’m working out too.

To not be of zero value I’ll throw some ideas in, but don’t listen too good to me, as I’m still figuring the same thing out as you.

• If you can single out one of the Erica drum synth voices (does it only have one main out?), or if you have a aux-send on a mixer, a good and complex fx pedal might do the trick. I’ve got some H9 algorithms that with some low pass and high pass do kinda good already. I tend to like pedals more, but on a budget in the studio a Quadraverb would do fine. Although it’s reverb doesn’t go the longest (at least I haven’t found how).
  • I’ve tried poly synth pads but they tend to: (A) become too “beautiful” for what I want, and (B) it feels a bit bad to use a nice and good poly synth and underuse it for just some texture pads (plus a lot of extra weight and setup
  • I’ve had some nice results with a simple sound source / cheap VCO through a modulated wavefolder in my small Eurorack, ran through a reverb/Delay, and then into something with a low and high pass like in my case Octatrack.
  • PS re:Eurorack, I’ve been eyeing the Erbeverb. Problem is that quickly things stack up, needing a sequencer, modulation, sound source and filter before it even makes kinda sense to have an erbeverb. Maybe combine one all in once voice with something like Erbeverb?

@acidhouseforall could you elaborate why the Blackbox would help so much - which aspects of it? (As a looper or for EQ / fx, for prerecorded loops, or?)

1 Like

4 outs, can be used as stereo or mono.

could you elaborate why the Blackbox would help so much

It’s excellent to capture anything and replay it. I don’t think OP needs more synths, but if he can make layers made with the DB-01 and the LXR-02, then his tracks will be more interesting. Example: make a lead-like pattern with the DB-01, capture a long loop, replay it, add FX, then start a bassline on the DB-01, capture it, etc… build the track layer upon layer.

Also… once it’s captured, it’s here forever, so you can mix and match stems from previous sessions with the current one.

Really, Blackbox+anything is a big win.

edit: for example, here I use the DFAM a lot while the bbox plays back stems (many impros from TR-8S, Digitone, etc.) from previous sessions. Or this one.

3 Likes