The lighting thread

I’m actually not…

This has apparently been confusing me. I had this impression I’d be limited to a single colour at a time by moving to cv tape and away from pixel tape. I should have realized moving to cv led tape limits a fixture to both one colour and one dimming state across the whole strip. This is undesirable for sure because the opz is capable of some basic patterns. I might be an idiot for not putting this all together by now.

Anyway,

this issue, combined with 128 leds being a bit of an underwhelming sight, you make a decent case to pivot to either

or, since

pivot to something cooler. Like

! That just sounds cool. I will do a little dig. Thank you.

Think of a single RGB strip as 3 circuits in one. You essentially need 3 channels of dmx, and a decoder that is essentially 3 channels. For example, the enttec decoder you mentioned is a 3 channel device which can run a single led strip and give control over rg+b.

If you run the strips in series, its all on the same 3 channel circuit.

If you run say 2 strips in parralel, i.e on seperate outputs from a decoder, this then gives you 6 channels of control.

Some decoders are wired for rgb, some are not. The ones that are not tend to have lots of + connections, and one common negative. The boards generally do low side switching on this type.

1 Like

My current lighting setup is scalable to a certain point. Beyond that point for a larger venue or event, I would depend on the venue or production company to provide the main lighting.

I currently have about 8 LED Par lights for washes, mood lighting, etc.
I can mount these on stands at any level, or set them up on the floor.

I also have a professional 3-in-1 with lasers, LED washes and LED moving patterns.
I typically mount this high above the dance floor to give a real disco/dance show feel.

I have a smaller, more portable 4-in-1 with bit less power, but similar fx
I typically use this one for smaller gigs, or as a supplement to the larger one

I also have pro LED bar lighting for front-of-stage if needed, typically placed on the floor, angled facing up to wash/color the performer(s).

All of these are DMX controllable, but for the most part, I’ll link them together as needed (like the Pars) and then set them on an auto-program. Typically slow color crossfades for the pars, something more lively for the rest of the lights, sometimes with lasers off if not appropriate. And I ALWAYS leave any strobes off. Those are just annoying over time, and can also be a hazard for epileptics.

Speaking of lasers, I do have a fog machine, but when I use it, its output is typically EXTREMELY low, just enough to give some atmosphere for the lighting.

Finally, I also have miscellaneous lighting such as programable LED strips, a couple of colorful LED glow bars to light the DJ/Synth booth and a few other accessories.

All this stuff together ran me maybe around $1,000 total, but it’s worth it, especially for paid gigs when I can charge a bit more to provide both PA and lighting. It’s enough for small to large-ish private parties and even to light up or supplement small to medium venues with a real party atmosphere. Being able to provide more of a “complete” party feel experience is something that gets around through word of mouth leading to more performances.

Hmm, current setup… Well, we’ve got a small venue, ten profiles, fourteen pars, four bars, and ten pins/accent lights, plus a hazer and a few fans and a couple of mirrorballs. We need one more profile to fill out our current rig, a few more deco lights, and I’m planning on replacing two of the pars with four more bars, in part to fix some sight-line issues — it’s a weird-shaped space. Next up after that is a new console and swapping six of the pars for 15 movers, plus a few strobes and a fog machine. We run house lights on Hues right now, and I need to get an artnet to hue bridge set up so I can trigger them from the board (just blackouts and scene recall).

yeh them hue lights are annoying without control. So much nicer to fade up and down for the punters.

I’ve been suffering with a phone sitting next to the console for years now, but yeah. Some day, I’d love to replace all the lights in public spaces with the Astera Nyx bulb plus DMX-controlled LED strips, but I’d need a GU10-format bulb to be able to do all of them, and I don’t really want to spend another €5k on house lights.

Depending on the size of the phillips hue lamps, a low cost temporary solution could be some dmx motor iris’s, like the large ones that fit on followspots. Bit of a faf to rig no doubt, but it could work if you have a spare dimmer channel.

Plenty of channels, but it really wouldn’t work — we’re talking about a dozen standard A19 bulbs in fixtures, plus twenty or thirty MR16s, plus a bunch of long LED strips. I’m not sure how you’d reasonably make a douser for the strips, and for the rest of them, I don’t think I can even get a DMX douser or a motor iris for as cheap as I can get one of the Astera Nyx bulbs that support CRMX and give me full color control, etc. The Artnet-Hue bridge is actually relatively straight forward — you just get a token from the bridge and set up a bunch of Open Lighting Architecture commands on a raspberry pie to hit the bridge when they get the command. I’m probably going to put HomeAssistant in the middle to get a bit more flexibility, and it’s all pretty cheap — I’ve already got a spare raspberry Pi sitting around. It’s just a few days of time, which is the hard bit.