The Lost Art of Deep Listening

I definitely listen to newer things more digitally, (and then once again cherry pick some for vinyl). I like Matt Johnson’s YouTube channel, and funk in general, so when I saw his vinyl album on BandCamp, I grabbed it immediately. Wasn’t disappointed.

Also got a nice Dubfire three or four record set off of BandCamp. So I definitely do check things out more just by default (due to so many sources) on the digital side.

Just grabbed Posse on Broadway Godzilla Mix on Vinyl, so I’ll have to give that a nice critical listening. I used to have that on cassette when it came out in the 80s. But the album version, and all subsequent versions had slightly altered lyrics, and weren’t the version that I first enjoyed. So it was cool to find. Anyway, getting a little sidtracked now. :smiley:

1 Like

This made me think of listening to things repeatedly as well.

As an 80s teenager into heavy metal, I had to save to buy records and tapes to record copies of things (no CD player here) so I didn’t have loads of albums. Result - lots and lots of listens to each. Result - really deep connection with the music, all the chord changes, notes, drums are still right there.

I never listen to stuff repeatedly these days, except in the car, it’s pretty old so only 20-25 CDs to pick from. Should do something about that!

3 Likes

Doing a big load of washing up, drying and putting away is a good way to keep yourself in one spot while listening to an album. Or any similar tasks, for those who get restless trying to sit still for an hour.

2 Likes

Guilty of having had the same CD in the car for years, an Echogarden compilation.

But nah @J3RK this is good, it’s cool hearing peoples perspectives and where they’re coming from. Sometimes I suspect I might just be speaking from an Australian perspective, which could just apply to any remote place outside of Berlin, Montreal London, NYC, LA etc

In any case I suspect music as a self contained unit, away from some streaming conglomerates or media whales, has an effect of just standing on its own.

How often can you actually start playing an album digitally, and for whatever reason your settings just throw u off to some other track recommendation.

But I remember when Fantomas Delerium Cordia came out, that was a big moment. I’m not huge into that type of music, but that was something I was like aright, this is lights out, listen to the full album type material.

1 Like

One thing that I don’t do for my digital side, is use “radio-style” services.

I use Apple, Soundcloud, YouTube, and BandCamp. I buy full albums that I want, that I know I’ll listen to more than once, and then only use the streaming portion to try things out or listen to something that maybe popped into my head or something. (metal, lounge (Brazillian Bossa Nova stuff, Italian, etc.) specific jazz types, heavier, darker classical stuff, electronic (too many genres to list really :smiley: ) hip hop (the good kind :smiley: bay area underground type stuff (Hieroglyphics for example)). I also like a bit of grungey stuff, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, etc., Industrial and a bit of classic rock and yacht rock. :wink: Hope I closed all those parenthesis :smiley:

Then I listen to a lot of DJ sets (techno, house, breaks mainly) usually in the car, or while I’m working.

When I listen to the non-DJ / non-dancy electronic types of things, I generally like to be stationary. Couch with records, bed with headphones, out on the deck with “the sluts” as my wife calls my Class D outdoor monitors :smiley: where I can actually absorb and enjoy the music. Especially when it’s an album that is meant to be listened to as such, and not a collection of tunes. (say, concept albums, or at least lightly concept or theme based)

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

1 Like

If you deep listen to shallow music do you hit the bottom?

2 Likes

I’m sure of it! Either way, your head will feel as though you did.

1 Like

When I was younger I used have certain albums on repeat and I still listen to a lot of those albums, I’d say in the last 20 years there haven’t been many new albums that I’ve had on repeat. Not sure why, maybe because I’ve sort of heard it before, new albums from artists I used to love have not hit the mark, music has kind of stagnated ? I think the only album I’ve deep listened to in recent years and it’s not that recent is voices from the lake. Now that is an amazing album, put it on and I get lost in it. Incidentally it’s being reissued as a box set for the ten year anniversary.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I do a lot of both. I hope I’m covered. :smiley:

Edit: Of course, I can hear music in my head, so when say a song gets stuck in there, it’s almost like auditory photographic memory. I could actually see that leading to dementia-like behavior when the wrong one gets stuck in there.

2 Likes

Question. If I deep listen to music will it turn me into Anthony Fantonamano?

1 Like

come again, which one now?

nope, Julian Krause.

1 Like

Goddamnit! Well, there goes my sanity for the next week or so. :stuck_out_tongue: Now my family is going to think I have early onset dementia. I thought about responding with a good Astleying, but it’s not nearly as clever.

2 Likes