The Lost Art of Deep Listening

7 Likes

The fact that someone had to write that article saddens me.

No loss of the art of listening in my house.

24 Likes

I made a decision to stop buying/listening to any additional music until Iā€™ve reacquainted myself with what I already have. Over the last 10 years I got into a situation of buying but not dedicating enough times to relax and listen. Iā€™ve made a real effort to change this is recent weeks and Iā€™ve realised that my tastes have shifted significantly.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve been a disciple at the church of Oliveros since I was 21.
Having said that, I think people that want to and are able to listen deeply to music can and do regularly.
Some people arenā€™t deep listeners, that isnā€™t a problem, itā€™s just different.

7 Likes

Start reading audiophile blogs and youā€™ll get the opposite opinion.

That said, nothing beats really jelling and appreciating everything involved in getting those sounds to your ears.

Sometimes new live studio recordings sound so good it feels unattainable and depressingā€¦ (new Moodyman, Tuxedo, Theo Parrish). Anyone else?

1 Like

You havenā€™t deep listened until youā€™ve deep listened to ASLSP start to finish. Get ready for that chord change year after next.

3 Likes

typically audiophiles donā€™t care much about music.
theyā€™re carefully listening to cables, noises in gaps between tracks, etc ā€” that sort of stuff.

6 Likes

Iā€™ll be busy until February 2022. Goodbye Elektronauts. If I want to feel that Chord changes, I must start right now my deep listening.

1 Like

I am well aware. :sweat_smile:

I was actually going to write ā€œā€¦but usually theyā€™re just using music to listening to their headphones or speakersā€ lol

1 Like

When I was in my teens and 20s, we had a hi-if system in a room that me, my brother and my friends would just sit and listen to albums. The chair closest to the record player was called the ā€œDJ chairā€, and whoever sat on that controlled the music. If you wanted something else, you either had to plead with the person in the chair, or wrestle them out of it. Sometimes Iā€™d spend hours in there just listening to albums while admiring the Record or CD sleeve - no phone, no book, no activity, no conversation.

In the past 20 years, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve spent more than 2 hours total just listening to music, Iā€™m always doing something else at the same time. Housework, driving, commuting, exercise, working, cooking. I guess itā€™s just how things work at different stages of your life. I hope to get back to just listening at some stage.

4 Likes

What a load of cā€¦

When I was 20, I spent days with a friend listening to records (the second half of the nineties was a blessing). We were just sitting on a bed, watching the wall of our 9 mĀ² student room, carefully listening to the voice of Beth Gibbons, Tricky or Thom Yorkeā€¦

Nowadays, I still listen to a lot of music, especially when Iā€™m home alone. Way more difficult to listen to what I like, as my family isnā€™t found of most of my records ^^

The one who drives the car is the DJ, as my wife and I canā€™t bear driving and need music to stay concentrated on the road. In such times, I can have my family listening to Syro, pretty cool for me to have my children listening to what I like.
More and more my children know which records they appreciate and ask me to play their favorites.

Last thing is when Iā€™m at work, I always have the music on.
Not as deep a listening as I would like, but close enoughā€¦

6 Likes

I deep-listened for about the first 5-6 years, but around 2008 I had to get up to pee.

5 Likes

I found that to be a rather poorly-written article. But it was written at the beginning of the pandemic, and now many people have had lots of time with their music collections. How much attention they gave to actively listen is up to them.

Also Iā€™m pretty sure most people on this forum know all about ā€œdeep listeningā€.

1 Like

You donā€™t know diapers?

Iā€™m more the catheter type.

Iā€™ve been thinking about this a bit lately and am curious if anyone rolls focused listening sessions on the reg. Was gonna start a new thread but this one will do.

I guess albums releases used to feel more like events. Almost like a video game release - hype, build up, release date announce, interviews. Particularly with an artist you loved, waiting for their next release would be a real event, and for sure you would sit down and listen to that record or CD back to back.

We could also just be talking about generational shift - itā€™s not just phones. But as a young person you go from someone with loads of free time doing blunts and hangout with your 45ā€™s, to someone with precious free time and responsibility.

Itā€™s not to say we canā€™t have dedicated listening experience, whether thatā€™s in the world, field recording, or listening to music.

Im curious to hear if anyone concertedly puts time aside for this these days. Moreover what kind of practices are people engaging for curation and music finding?

Is it just a matter of digesting what comes up in your Soundcloud or Bandcamp feed, what the algorithm recommends on YT or Spotify/Apple music, or do you have specifics blogs, labels, shops etc that you follow to get your new stuff?

I think, maybe, releases exist on a sliding scale of tracks that are intended to work with other tracks (ie techno) and then musical works which the artist would probably wish the listener was actively invested.

Itā€™s also a situation where, even though we can save albums, weā€™ve gone from a situation of ā€˜collectionsā€™ of music, to simply having full access. Maybe full access can water things down in some way? Take the sheen off an artists new release or something?

Either way it seems to me active research in finding music, really digging, instead of being guided by the algorithm, is something of a lost activity.

Interested to hear folks approaches to some or all of the aboveā€¦

1 Like

Same here, one decade before :rofl:
what a lot of time spend on listening and discovering

1 Like

Iā€™ve found that acquiring a turntable, good speakers, and lots of vinyl cuts out that whole instant gratification of mediocrity thing. Sure I canā€™t buy all the music I want on vinyl, so digital forms still have their place for various reasons. (breadth, portability, blasting in the car on occasion :smiley: )

Putting on a record, turning off the TV, and just sitting back with a drink is so nice, and I definitely appreciate what Iā€™m listening to for many reasons. One is that I only buy my absolute favorites on vinyl, so the music is already good, AND ingrained in my mind. Another is the physical interaction and large format. Another is that I have a couple of friends and family that collect records, so we have listening sessions, and bring some of our favorites to whichever place weā€™re going to listen.

Something to be said for tossing on the AKG 701s and listening to something in bed though. :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, I definitely find vinyl tends to have this effect. Also I find when friends come over the vinyl tends to come out, too.

I have a similar practice with regard to ā€˜favouritesā€™. But Iā€™m still curious how folks negotiate this with ā€˜new stuffā€™. Do people roll digitally a little before commiting to a vinyl buy? Tapes have really taken off, too, but I havenā€™t gotten into that myself I have to say.

Sometimes I wish there was some kind of, Bandcamp intermediary service, that distributed that stuff to local record stores. Like, finding an r beny or some ASIP stuff can be a tough gig in your local town, and postage is often prohibitive. Which can all as a result push you back to the digital for new thingsā€¦

Iā€™m probably twisting the convo a bit, but the two things are intertwined ā€¦ access/discovery, and then focused listening based upon that