The most fun 8hp (or smaller) eurorack module you can think of!

Or you could stick a Pura Ruina by Noise Engineering in the 8HP you have left and destroy every waveform that hits it

2 Likes

If you donā€™t want menu diving/shift functions, Disting is the ABSOLUTE WORST for that kind of thing haha. Ex is definitely better than a standard issue Disting for this (cos the screenā€™s actually half decent), but for every function that is somewhat more complicated than a precision adder, 80% of the parameters will be deep in menus, and the actual knob interactions with menus is probably the worst Iā€™ve ever experienced on a module. Itā€™s a bit of a trap module imo, it seems really appealing at first because you get so much bang for your buck and it seems like itā€™ll add so much functionality to a small case, but it is absolute hell to use and really diametrically opposed in UI design to all the Make Noise stuff youā€™ve got.

3 Likes

I really like the earlier make noise stuff. Bought a phonogene and not a morphagene, because people complained about all the comboā€™s they had to remember.

Krait is not make noise, and with a screen, but very very easy to use. I think I want to keep it that was. Ornament and Crime seems doable, but I am also asking myself if I need a filter after all. And it doesnā€™t have one.

1 Like

Bastl, like Erica Synths, tend to go for the extremes in their videos. If you turn everything down, Ikarie is a perfectly respectable twin-peak filter. I usually have it on moderate resonance, input knob around 2-3pm, so there is some colour but not distortion. A bit of envelope follower and some stereo separation and the effect is quite nice. Swapping one of the stereo outputs for the ā€œbeyondā€ output can have an unworldly effect, and there are several ways to take things more edgy and back again. I also have Three Sisters and C4rbn and I think Ikarie is my favourite of the three.

2 Likes

And Branches as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

If they ever make a Cold Mac again, thatā€™s my vote. Donā€™t pay more than retail, though.

I really liked NLCs triple sloths in my Make Noise system.

I thought ornament and crime would be a perfect addition, but I didnā€™t use it enough.

I also didnt use the Disting when I had one. Maybe I had the bit crusher or tape delay or something always on and never patched. Iā€™m sure I wouldnā€™t use the Disting Ex, but if you donā€™t mind fiddling with a little display and remembering different outputs per algorithm, you might.

2 Likes

I keep on trying to use my Mk 4 for something, but having to look up the (very good and phone-friendly) manual every time I want to do anything with it just dissuades me from doing much, and I can never even remember what itā€™s currently set toā€¦ maybe a delay might be a good choice to set and forget, actually.

1 Like

Itā€™s tough - I would set it and forget it on some good sounding effect but then I would wish it could do something else. In a MN system like OP has, one is spoiled for multi functions - Erbe verb gives you CV, Mimeophon gives you gateā€¦ I think some of the Disting algorithms have that, but itā€™s tough to keep track of.

These modules are not for me, but for someone that doesnā€™t mind a hybrid screen/panel experience and has a better memory or patience for manuals.

1 Like

I change my vote. Pop out the Krait and add in a Toppobrillo Sport modulator. Havenā€™t tried the mk ii yet, but Iā€™ll bet itā€™s as good or better than mk I and comes in black.

1 Like

i tend to live patch for a while and makes notes when iā€™m reaching for a function that isnā€™t there. once something makes the list a few times, i start looking into potential options.

but, modular is very much about mystery and unseen possibilities, which makes something like cold mac intriguing and exciting. i vote for any of the 8hp IFM peter blasser modules

1 Like

Youā€™d have to literally win a lottery.

1 Like

Re: Disting EX: I think if you can find your way round an Octatrack the EX shouldnā€™t cause you too many problems. I first used mine as a dual double quantiser, then when I got a sequencer that quantised I began looking into the other algorithms. Save your favourites and tweak from there, you donā€™t need to know all 150!
Iā€™ve yet to dive into the Quad Braids/Quad Rings, but that is because Iā€™m recording a patch where Iā€™m using the Precision Adder as an octave switch (with the other side as a dumb LFO). Iā€™m not dissing the O + C, itā€™s just not the route I chose. It is the most ā€˜set & forgetā€™ thing in my modular, but everytime I think I might need a new module to do something, I can usually find the functionality in the EX. An Instruo TS-L v2 would be a great voice/insane LFO in that space. Itā€™s pretty too.

2 Likes

I love the Krait so much, so that would feel like cheating my wife.

Yupp it does filtering too ā€¦ you can switch between (many) different algorithms (itā€™s the swiss army knife of eurorack).

Note: The screen is tiny and thereā€™s menu diving (!)

ā€¦

2 Likes

About the EX disting. I think itā€™s great but as.a first or in between module. Itā€™s small, reliable and the leds are providing usefull insight in voltages.
Just donā€™t use it as a swish army knife for daily different purposes but to fill the gap whenever youā€™re patching and wonder ā€œwhat if i had?ā€ And turn the disting into that mode for a while. Just use it as a compressor, or delay, or stereo sample playback device. untill you realise you need to buy that particular module with hands on control. Then give the Disting the next desired algo. It can be so insane much of a utility that the tiny screen should be taken as a high end jumper setting.

3 Likes

I never know what to make of the ā€œPopular Modulesā€ list on ModularGrid. Itā€™s impossible to tell how many of those racks reflect a real configuration. It feels more like an indication of received wisdom than anything else. I personally donā€™t have many racks listed on the site, but some of mine are alternates and some historical. Meanwhile, the ā€œTop modules rated by usersā€ list is determined by a really small number of votes. Sometimes Iā€™ve seen votes appear for modules just announced, months before release.

3 Likes

Cold Mac is incredibly useful and dense. If you can find one for a not stupid price, snag it. :metal:

Since the Cold Mac is hard to find (for a non-ridiculous price), the Olivella Modular Signos is sometimes compared to it (different modules, for sure, but in terms of that density of useful/esoteric functions, I think there is some reason for this comparison):

(I donā€™t have one, but I think when they get US distribution ā€“ sometime this year, according to some emails I had with them ā€“ Iā€™ll probably pick one up. I do have their stereo filter, Imagenes, and I really enjoy it. But Iā€™ll add another vote for Ikarie as well; itā€™s got a silly number of features packed into 8 HP and sounds really good.)

4 Likes

I hate Disting with a passion, so take this with a big grain of salt. Disting and other Swiss army modules can fill a gap but you will sell it once you figure out what that gap is and can get a better module.

I would spend more time figuring out the gap instead of trying to fill it.

4 Likes

I just got the BASTL IKARIE today, so take it with a grain of saltā€¦
but itā€™s instant fun. Turns simple mono sources into stereo goodness, input gain, envelope follower, so much power in a small module.

1 Like