The Music of Orbital is Pretty Fantastic

Don’t you think?

I don’t think of them as “sample-based”.
But, damn, they can get mileage out of some samples when they want to.
Take this, for example:

This excerpt is from a live set they did last summer.
It gives me chills.

8 Likes

Sure it is !

6 Likes

Always makes me cringe when they fire off Bon jovi / belinder Carlyle .

2 Likes

Indeed we do:

1 Like

Love them! I’ve seen them live a few times, have most of their albums. Even in my mid-40s I still hope one day to emulate with my own music some of the excitement I felt dancing to them in my youth.

1 Like

I heard a rumour there is a new album on the way…

:sparkling_heart:

1 Like

It’s likely … been locked up like everyone else and they’ll probably tour .
Everyone needs £££

God bless!
Dropped this in my vinyl set at the bar last week

4 Likes

:trophy:

1 Like

I think they have a great ability to layer simple arps and rhythms to add up to more than the sum of their parts and then add some amazing vocal manipulation on top. It’s a timeless combo.
Our forum favourite @ylva is the modern equivalent for vocal manipulation I think.

1 Like

Yeah, totally agree, they are masters at layering very simple elements. I’m pretty sure their albums are more or less recorded as live jams.
The run of 90s albums from Brown to Snivilization to Insides to Middle of Nowhere is pretty faultless to my ears. And so good live. I’m a fan!

5 Likes

I saw that thread, but no one had touched in 2 years. Thought this post was fair play…

2 Likes

And when Alison Goldfrapp provides the vocal: :fire: :fire: :fire:.

2 Likes

:raised_hands:

I still get all the feels when Are We Here breaks down.

3 Likes

Every time anyone mentions Chime, I yearn to have a vinyl copy of this:

It is by far my favourite version.

7 Likes

One of the few UK electronic acts to make it to Arizona in the late 90s, for which may god bless them. One of the best shows I’ve seen

Look at those glorious MMT-8s in the photo…

4 Likes

I’m with you on that. Everyone else seems to love it and I’m like WTF is this? Their live sets are stunning and then they go and do this shit…

1 Like