The new Electribe is very good!

You can swap firmware with a little hex editing:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=659922

Saw this at the top of the forum and assumed a new Electribe came out. Thread is from 2014. Talk about staying power :zombie:

4 Likes

Lol, me too

I did that previously to try the sampler version.
The newer hacktribe version gives you both essentially.

The first time this was resurrected a while back I assumed the same :joy:

I got post #303 ! Acid!

3 Likes

I found out about the hack a few months ago and was looking for a real bargain but could not spot one and forgot about it.

Will start looking again, I think the kiddo will love this one too.

1 Like

New owner here of a mint condition second hand electribe2 blue, since yesterday. I chase one for some time already but just found one pretty cheap last week. I have also different Korgs such Monotribe, Monologue, or even an Electribe er1, among othersā€¦

I love so much how Korg designs instruments, so playable, and
also ready for studio and live performance situations. This machine sounds amazing, it can generates amazing amount of timbres, it is easy to use, and very, very direct. The effects are really cool and it can sound really dark, gritty, or even soft and cheesy if needed. Ambient, noise, or even industrial, can probably be easy generated with this machine, using those amazing effects, oscillators, filters, and sequencerā€¦ Donā€™t forget it can also be use as an effect module with the super creative controlpad :slight_smile:

A beast and intuitive big sounding machine for studio and performing. Really digging it so far!

3 Likes

It is a great unit which ticks so many boxes, but I think Korg missed some opportunities to make it so much better. Iā€™ll never sell mine because it is probably one of the fastest routes from idea to something happening along with some very nice functions, but the stupid bugs still remain:

Notes/FX cut on pattern change
Voice stealing

And some silly limitations:
No track/sequence rotate
Awkward sample management
Max 64 steps with no scale divide (eg half/double)
Having to keep track of what patterns you donā€™t want to overwrite and pattern management in general.
Only single output pair

But it has some good stuff:
Nice lofi yet solid sound
Good limited IFX, like a pedal
Pages can be set to actual step length, 4 pages of 7 steps or whatever
Render pattern as audio
Groove templates (though sadly not editable)

I hope Korg do another Electribe series and take the best of EMX/ESX and the best of E2/E2S and add some modern functions and donā€™t hamper the memory, would probably be insta buy for me, but Iā€™d still keep the old ones.

5 Likes

can you play samples polyphonically on the ES2?

Yes

2 Likes

It is possible to play up to 4 voices paraphonically on a track as the filter and amp envelope is shared by the voices.

1 Like

My Red and Blue will be buried with me when I die.

1 Like

I just had the machine so recent and it is difficult to compare to others yet, but I am pretty surprised how it seems like the Electribe2 is including somehow, old electribe machines like the EA1 or the ER1, or at least how those two machines could be replicate using the Electribe2.

I am also pretty surprise how in cases, the structure and way of building sounds into the Electribe2, using its different VA oscillator and its option, the different filters, and its insert and master effects, could be similar to the way you built sounds using an Elektron Analog Rytm with its sound building using its propietary ā€œMachinesā€, obviously with the difference of one being VA and the other Analogue, couldnt be?

I recently re purchased a grey E2. Iā€™ve had both synth & sample in the past.
I successfully installed hacktribe but I need the factory samples files too. Is anyone willing to share?

There were a few cool bread & butter samples in there (pianos, flute, etc).

Do you mean the synth samples or the sampler samples? I think I might have the sampler ones, somewhereā€¦

I donā€™t rememberā€¦. Did the sampler one had less pcm oscillators?

Send whatever you have. Appreciate it!

@alexbuga @chaocrator here you go E2s individual samples and .ALL file in a zip.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/5vx1od

5 Likes

woooooow, thanks a lot, you saved me some time!

1 Like

Thanks bro! I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Nice one - Iā€™m going to load them into my ESX-1 to see what they sound like there.

1 Like

One thing to bear in mind the .ALL file starts at sample 019 so if loading into hacktribe they will need to be re numbered to start at 401 due to the memory allocation. There are a few freeware tools that allow this.