The Ultimate Elektron Case

I got this James Bond-esque Zero Halliburton case about ten years ago and it didn’t make sense until right now.

Finally vindicated! A perfect fit :slight_smile:

image|375x500

12 Likes

7 Likes

So cool! Briefcases are underrated for transporting gear. I once found one for £2 in a junk shop that was perfect for an Elektron, cables and a couple of pedals.

1 Like

Thanks, indeed! I used to play out with like a $10 hard shell luggage case myself, I forget the brand if it even exists anymore! Got it at a flea market lol

Whoa, you should get a handcuff for when your carryin it around!

3 Likes

Shoot the outside of the case with an AR-15 (with the OT inside the case). If the case stops the bullet, you know the case is a keeper.

5 Likes

:joy:

Looks great. I agree that briefcases are something that have seemed to disappear in the 21st century. I used to love checking out my dad’s briefcases. They just seemed so cool. Gonna have to look into one, even if it’s just for Elektrons. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Definitely! :slight_smile:

These are my personal favorite:

There’s a deeper version that would fit Elektron stuff but I’ve never found one that wasn’t permanently locked shut.

2 Likes

New iteration of my OT road case and setup.

EDIT: forgot the photos.

It would work even better for two DIGI series pieces, since they have VESA mounts that would match the holes on the shelf. For this I had to take the rubber feet off otf the Octatrack and use a healthy amount of nanotape to stick it and the UC4 don (the nanotape is more than strong enough, if I hold this upside down and shake it as hard as I can the OT doesn’t even move).

Monoprice hard case: $72 shipped. They’e improved the quality of the foam since the last time I bought one, it’s now actually a little firmer than the real Pelican cases I’ve owned, instead of being too soft like it was before.

Half of a 3dwaves two tier Elektron stand I got on Reverb a few years ago when they were still only $80.

The back panel is the leftover aluminum front panel from a 1u rack case, but any 1/8"x2" aluminum bar stock would work.

Cheap deskmount power strip mounted to the back panel.
All the construction (there wasn’t much) was done with a hacksaw, hand drill, file an vice (but you wouldn’t really need a vice) and took maybe half an hour.

The only thing missing is making a panel-mount MIDI jack for the UC4 input instead of the dongle hanging out of the side, and a right angle TRS to right angle DIN MIDI cable for the UC4-OT connection. I’m not in a big hurry for that but eventually I’ll probably add one whenever I actually remember to add right angle 1/8" TRS and DIN jacks to a parts order, which could be in a couple weeks or a couple years. At some point I’ll glue the foam pices together an cover them with nylon or something so they don’t get torn up as quickly - it’s a pretty tight fit.

Now I need to start playing out again.

EDIT 2: these cases also make really nice 6u rack cases for modular gear. The lid can be converted to removable by loosening two set screws on the hinges, and it’s exactly the right size that pieces of standard 1"x2" (nominal) wood as spacers between the rails and the sides of the case give you perfect 19" rack spacing. My original plan was to actually build and mount a sunken shelf on the bottom four spaces and put a 2u breakout panel for all of the audio, MIDI and power connections above it, but I only got as far as making the panel and installing the rails before I figured out that the tolerances were just a bit too tigth to make it all fit. Eventually I’ll build a DIY serge panel with a 2u utility panel (banana to Euro format converters, power connector, analog output breakout for the MIDIbox SEQ, and maybe a simple active output module, all mounted on a blank rack panel) but probably not for quite a while.

The point is, these Monoprice cases are the best value in cases I know of. I’ve tried a few other Pelican knockoffs and they’re all decent but whichever manufacturer Monoprice sources theirs from has really been nailing it for years.

6 Likes

@synthtoys @annunakisignal

Synth toys have nice bags

My dad carried a briefcase to his tech company jobs every day in the 80s and 90s. I never understood why he liked a briefcase over a shoulder bag or backpack, but then, in those days everyone wore suits and nobody carried their work stuff in a bag you might buy at an outdoors store.

2 Likes