Thin sound from USB

I love the sound from the Model:Cycles headphones out but I recently tried connecting via USB to Audacity, setting the Model:Cycles as the input. The sound was there but it was horrible - the bass was completely missing. It’s not a studio setup but it is set up for listening to bassy music, and everything else sounds sweet. What is going wing here? Surely the digital signal coming out the USB is the same as goes into the internal DACs? Unless the DACs are adding some bottom end to it?

There’s definitely something wing with your auto-correct ! probably nothing wrong with your MC though …

Try recording a low sin type clear tone and normalize or apply gain in audacity, see if it really is missing something - seems unlikely, maybe it’s the perceived volume effect if the usb signal is just a bit low

try hooking it up to a different machine/software - maybe a mobile device and compare

class compliant audio should be fairly hard to mishandle, maybe there’s something in audacity that’s somehow not set right, not sure what though

if you’re still not sure then start a new project and upload the recorded default track sounds played sequentially left to right and someone can probably compare

So I go to the bottom of this in the end.
From the Sound Settings menu in Windows, select “Digital Audio Interface (Elekton Model Cycles)” as you input device, then click “Device properties”:

Then click “Additional device properties” on the right:
On the dialog box that comes up, click the “Advanced” tab, and then uncheck “Enable Audio Enhancements”:
Classic windows trying to help and just massively hindering.
Sorry I tried to add other images but I’m only allowed one. Just trying to be helpful.

2 Likes