Thinking of changing up my Digitakt for a Rytm Mk2

Hi all

I have Octatrack, A4 mk2, Syntakt, Digitone, as well as Monomachine and Machine Drum.

I got a digitakt and decided its strangely a bit too easy to use and am thinking that Rytm Mk2 might be better for me as its both sampler and analog drum machine

percentage wise how close is the Digitakt to Rytm in the sampler sense. The only downside to Rytm I can see is it only has 1 LFO per track, 2 if you use the FX track.

Thoughts?

Thanks

what

Sounds like you might have a lot of cross over with the other gear you have, personally. The Syntakt gives you some analog drum voices right - what are you looking for that the Rytm will add?

5 Likes

Hey if something isn’t challenging you, dig deeper until you find what you are looking for in that respect. I fully endorse you selling a DT for a Rytm MK2.

2 Likes

lol, yes Digitakt is obviously easy work with, possibly the easiest but there isnt any thing to learn after the first 30 minutes of using it. That could be a great thing for most people…

I guess I like the fact the sampling and analog drums are in one box

1 Like
  • no sample start/endpoint finetuning on the rytm
  • no 2nd lfo
  • no retrigger on the amp env, so some clicks if changing startpoint on samples.
  • sample end instead of length as a parameter.
  • less clean sound on samples, more warm/organic sounding which I love but thats a matter of taste.
  • no base width filter, different filter types, analog instead of digital filter, so different sound.

Most of these things can be done on the rytm with a workaround, but it takes more work on the Rytm.

2 Likes

DT has 8 additional, independent MIDI tracks. IMO easy to control other gear including an AR.

1 Like

no 2nd lfo is not cool. sound creation is about lfos

Rytm2 has 2 cv inputs, velocity, aftertouch, and performance pads to also modulate another LFO wouldn’t hurt though.

4 Likes

Just use the Octatrack’s midi track lfos. You do miss out on a second audio rate lfo but gain the power of lfo designer x3 per midi track.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go that far. Sure, the Rytm would be better with another one, but you can get a lot done with one. Doesn’t seem to hold people back from making good music with the Rytm (or “some kind of” music in my case).

You do have velocity modulation. You can set 4 parameters that will change with the velocity. If you use the pads that’s nice to have. Unfortunately, for some reasons you can’t set the LFO destination to be the velocity. A 2d LFO would be useful of course.

Aside from the analog engine, you do get an FX track, accent trig, slide trig, performances/scenes and 12ish tracks (you can always see it as 8 tracks with 4 extra switchable tracks).

analog compressor and overdrive are great too.

You can CC a lot of things and especially the performances(that’s huge) and velocity so you could go very far by using your other MIDI enabled Elektron’s boxes

1 Like

I did it! Bought a Rytm! I love it so much but…

PLEASE add a second LFO . its great mangling the sounds with LFO/ delay etc but then to be able to add the second LFO to pan the sounds would just top it off
here is my first attempt

7 Likes

You can use A4 to send LFOs into Rytm exp inputs not the same but handy :wink:

How does this work(connections just an ot midi out to rytm in?) I want to try this.

Yep. Match channels on your OT MIDI Track and AR Track. If you’re using the Arp, avoid the bottom octave because AR will forward notes received there to other Track channels.

1 Like