Thinking of going back in the box

is your NI controller MK1 or MK2, I’ve been holding off getting a new midi controller. Any issues at all with it?

M32 is a new one with mini keys. There is no MK2 for it.
No issues. Ideal for Komplete Kontrol VST and nicely portable.
Fits in the new Elektron backpack with my 16” MBP and headphones.

Apparently class complaint but I’ve only used it with the NI driver as I like the encoder auto mapping in the KK VST.

I’ve always been meaning to give some of their stuff a good run. Lots of good unique tools that take into account what you “really” need to make a great mix or master.

1 Like

Tell us the end os the story

Good evening, thanks, intetesting.
May I ask what arturia synth you like soundwise?
I got the v6 collection once at black friday and pigments. Pigments for shure has a great (the best?) interface, but i find it difficult to find a sweet spot, also on the others, much choice and diificult to find a sweet sound for me
( in general if im honest except the free obxd, which automation doesnt work in bitwig…)
Thanks

Loving OBXa the most.
But I get some mileage out of most of the V Collection.
Synthi V and Buchla Easel V are among my favorites.

I’m with you on Pigments interface. Not for me. I use those sounds in Analog Lab mostly. I got the NKS for those from freelancesoundlabs

2 Likes

What kind of computer do you run your studio with? Do you ever run out of processing power?

2015 27” i7 4ghz iMac with 32GB and 1TB flash (1.8GB/sec r/w), and 4GB M395X Gfx.

Never run out of juice. I work at 48khz.

3 Likes

My story? (Not sure if it ever really ends) Didn’t get rid of everything and buy that motorcycle but did downsize all my possessions considerably; which certainly gave some relief. But escape from those shitty circumstances only came through sitting down and defining what it was I actually wanted - and then making a solid plan how to get there. Still fighting my way out but I’ve got a clear path now, so it feels like I’ve regained some level of control. In the context of the original thread, staying mostly in the box (when I feel like musicking) and ignoring HW has been helpful in keeping those “big important life goals” in focus.

4 Likes

oh man how are you liking the ssl xix?

1 Like

Same!

@pdp : this might not be the best example out there but the lead synth in this from 0:57 and scattered throughout is the Buchla Easel. I really love that synth. You’ll need headphones as there’s a lot of low end in this.

https://soundcloud.com/dimensionstomorrow/stbb690-water-the-plants-take-2

1 Like

32 GB of ram! Impressive.

I have the late-2017 iMac Pro, just the base model, but it’s still a beast. It’s for work as well as hobbies though. I honestly couldn’t be happier with it as I am in front of it much of the day now that I’m working from home (and probably will be permanently). I really need a good chair. That’s next on my list of things to buy. Still trying to figure out which one I want.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP771?locale=en_US

1 Like

It sounds fantastic. Really brings out the best and worst part in a fellow’s musical meanders.

But I do feel, for the price, you need to make the most of it and not just get it for two-channel SSL eq and compression. While that adds a lot to your music, I’d say that summing and routing needs to be a part of your workflow for this to make sense.

Which, for me, it currently isn’t :slight_smile: (I’m selling the Blackbox). But this is just a phase, so while the SSL is resting right now, it’s the kind of piece you’ll return to over the years.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to work more ITB using a 2014 MBP, but as soon as I use 4 or 5 plugins the fan starts hissing at me. Its a shame as the CPU meter is low on Ableton, around 20/30 percent. I’d really like to upgrade at some point.

That’s to be expected from every laptop even the latest. They are simply not built to provide performance while being silent. If you want silence you’ll need to look into desktop models.

4 Likes

Whaaaaaaa?! How come? You seemed to love that thing, judging from earlier posts!

1 Like

Agreed. My 2018 MBP is the same. Having a protective plastic shell on it isn’t helping in my case. But, I’ve learned to tune out of the fan noise. My ears are are a mess so it just blends into the usual mild tinnitus these days :joy::cry:

This shouldn’t be happening

Try resetting the MacBook SMC and also cleaning up your Ableton library

I have a 2013 MacBook Air and it runs live 10 no problem

Check the activity monitor and see if the Ableton library is using a load of CPU, this is usually why the fan starts. You can sort this by having individual folders for each save instead of one big save file and there’s a few other tips online I can’t remember but it shouldn’t be blowing all the time!

1 Like