Thinking of going back in the box

I think if you get a workflow down it could be just as fast or faster, depending on what you are working on. Have you ever tried to do vocals on a Digitakt? :slight_smile:

This took me forever on the DT (and I still didn’t get it right):

On a computer, time stretching is so much easier, plus getting all your samples in the proper key and stuff is much easier IMHO.

I honestly like both though and do get your point about going down the rabbit hole with plugins. For now, I’m just so much more interested in what I can do ITB. I’ve been watching loads of Logic beat videos and there are people that can move lightning quick (I’m definitely not one of those people yet).

3 Likes

Honestly, with what Logic has done recently, add a NICE controller…it kinda seems like a better and better idea.

(Id keep a box or two for fun :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

I like using software!

1 Like

It’s great to make music using any methods you have available!

1 Like

I see many of you talking about Logic. Never tried Logic but tryed many other and the only DAW I found simple and usable is Studio One 4. For people never tried, you have a free version. The interface is cool and the soft is powerfull. You don’t be lost at first try.
And with the professional version, you have stock plugins to mix and create that cover everything.
Really take S1 in consideration for people want to go back ITB.

1 Like

I recently stumbled upon this channel, and while his audience seems to be a lot of teenagers (and celebrity musicians), I find some of his videos quite inspiring for workflow and tips, even though I don’t use Ableton.

Since I play guitar and bass, this is sort of the workflow I’m gravitating towards, although admittedly with all the (really good) plugins out there, it’s probably cheaper not to go ITB. :wink:

He’s not totally ITB (nor am I), so you can see some hybrid videos with the OP-1 and stuff as well.

I’ve been back and forth so many times that I decided a while back to fully embrace a 100% HYBRID setup. I can do either or both. As much or little of each as I want.

There is no doubt that I personally can be way more productive in software. I also find that I can be more focused on an individual instrument with hardware. I bend one way or another depending on my mood.

Isn’t life better when you find a perfect balance? It’s a moving target, so I find it best to be able to adapt at any given moment to my currently needed balance.

14 Likes

last weekend i was updating my old StudioPro One from Producer to Professional with that cool and not too expensive promotion

this DAW is far more better than FL Studio, feels more like a DAW and I’m surprised how Overbridge integrates well with

Personally, I think the best possible hybrid set up is machines for actually making the music and software for extra midi control and audio processing.

Bitwig is worth a look, the grid(it inbuilt modular environment) seems very interesting, not so much for sound generation but for midi/cc/cv manipulation. It’s a lot simpler than m4l though m4l isn’t too tough really.

Reaktor is always worth having because it can do almost anything. Unfiltered Audio plug ins are worth having no matter what hardware you have imo, really well priced now too! The Softube stuff is absolutely top notch, but with price tags to match £500 for a EQ plug in!

The pitfall with software is that creates way more questions than answers.

3 Likes

brilliant quote. I feel software takes much more structure and discipline to get meaningful results.

2 Likes

These are useful skills to nurture for many things in life. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Not if you stop changing to flavour of the month. :wink:

I have been both itb and completely dawless before. Currently I have a hybrid setup where I compose on hardware and then record and mix in Ableton. I really feel that people should do whatever works for them and not worry too much about what other people think. I try not to push newcomers to a hardware approach at first just because of the expense and I think learning on a daw will be incredibly helpful in a person learning what they want in their setup.

I think the biggest issue with hardware setups is that you have to have a clear idea of what you need from each piece of gear as well as the time to get to know each piece intimately. It is possible to get an incredible setup that does not work well together and actually becomes a hindrance to your workflow. With my current setup, it’s been incredibly inspiring and easy for me to get into a workflow. I know plenty of people who get that way with software though so ultimately people should use whatever is productive and, most importantly, fun for them.

5 Likes

I think hybrid is the way to go. Personally, I use hardware for most of my sound generation, but use the daw for recording, mixing, and most effects. (I use onboard hardware fx like on the Elektron’s and a couple of pedals, the rest itb).

Two of the best things I ever got for my studio were relatively boring bits of utility kit:-

1. Erm Multiclock. Allows me to sync my Elektron’s with ableton bang on. I can jam with the Elektron’s via the stereo outs, and add other synth parts via audio or midi and have them sync perfectly in session view. Once I’m done composing I bounce the synth parts, then I can perform the tune in session view but using overbridge for the individual tracks.

This way I can get around the up to 40ms of latency ob causes on my system. I don’t need to do this if sequencing everything, but when playing parts in live alongside the Elektron’s the multiclock saves me so much time realigning parts. I can also use the multiclock as a master clock for otb jams, and send cv clock to things like the ms20.

1. iConnectivity Mio. All my midi devices, din and usb are connected to this. By default I use it as a standard midi interface in the daw. However, if I want to use the octatrack to sequence my synths I have a separate preset for this. This re routes the midi channels so my master keyboard transmits everything to the Octatrack’s auto channel and the octa sends midi out to whatever I want it to.

I can also send clock from the ERM to any device I choose, both din midi and usb midi devices. It essentially is a very flexible midi patchbay.

The above devices and a patchbay mean I can now have itb, hybrid and otb workflows with my gear depending on mood, and I don’t have to reconnect any cables to do it.

My point is if you are spending money on synths maybe consider things to improve your workflow as well. They were pricey (particularly the multiclock), however you will benefit from it with every subsequent bit of gear you own.

8 Likes

Hybrid :+1:t6:

1 Like

Totally agree with @AFunkyRhythm. This is how I’m also set up with those pieces of gear.

Why settle for one approach. Each tune is different and having the ability to change the flow as necessary is fantastic.

One time I might sequence live from my gear sometimes I might want to go mad with midi from Ableton. It all depends on the mood and tune. Each approach has its positives and negatives.

1 Like

ya man. I got midi all over the place.
going from euro to boxes to computer any which way whenever however. its fun!
a little taste of each one is just enough when combined with each other to make them go far. :+1:t6:
ES-8 and FH-2 makes shit interesting.

how much would THAT little software CV generator cost you in hardware…just for CV. I shudder to think. having software to facilitate certain aspects is SUCH a great thing.

I know a few people that I wish would get back in their box :joy:

I have both feet firmly planted back inside the box for track creation.

Using the OT + MS combo for live performance use only, and the AR + MC combo for fiddling around aka not getting much use at all really. But it’s a pendulum and they’ll no doubt get some time to shine again, someday.

Some good plug-in deals this time of year from NI, Arturia, and especially Brainworx has been the deciding factor, and the NI M32 being such a good controller for it all. The Komplete Kontrol VST controlling Arturia, U-he, and NI synths is giving me less latency than Overbridge and really no sacrifices to speak of.

But I couldn’t do it without this fast iMac and a low latency audio interface. So all told, it’s quite an investment, which just motivates me all the more to capitalize on it.

Related:
This popped up in my youtube recommendations recently. This guy is ultra dialed in.
With such a setup, the key ingredients are motivation and discipline.

4 Likes

I like presets