Thinking of going back in the box

Actually thats a pretty cool approach. It means you will have something to look forward to and wont have to start over. Good luck!

This is so true. My girlfriend is already annoyed from me always asking her if I have already told her that I can’t wait for the new mac.

Her -》 :roll_eyes:

Started with a laptop and Ableton and then hardware synths and Elektron gear. Preferred using hardware since I work on a computer all day and like getting away from the keyboard. Then went down the modular eurorack rabbit hole and having most fun on modular gear now. It feels more organic patching cables and building a custom instrument from scratch. Expensive but most fun ever.

3 Likes

a reason to go back win the box…

too bad I’m not smart enough to figure that kinda shit out

5 Likes

reply~
okay: 1 0 6

1 Like

One tool I can’t recommend enough when being in the box a lot is touchè. The amount of expressiveness you can achieve is amazing having the 4 dimensions. It’s the one tool that won’t get packed up with the rest of my hardware.
You can assign whatever effects or parameters you want and record while feeling the vibe. I really love it.

3 Likes

what i think every time when i see this thread title:

9 Likes

Same :laughing:. stock

6 Likes

this is really cool. nice one. I bet you can do something similar in norns with either puredata or supercollider/softcut’s granular buffers

there are already some very impressive and useful granular scripts. you can run pd scripts with additional firmware (nornsmother/orac)

I’m switching boxes.

…when i started all this sonic thing, midi was a fresh invention and multitracking on tape still standard…

so i’ve seen me quite a lot going in and out of the box with the years…
and i can clearly state, yes, an all software based studio IS indeed a full fledged studio…
and yes, the better ur capable of using a whole studio as an instrument, the better is ur sonic overall happy ending…and outcome.
but…
ITB ONLY is always missing some “air”…no matter how great u do…
so, even if it’s just one single element that was truuly RECORDED, that came from some kind of hardware or micing, that was created OTB…will push ur itb production to another level…
but NO…
otb only is always great for jamming…fooling around…finding ideas, writing/creating/inventing music…but at the end, there must be some sort of itb finishing process…otherwise ur results are never able to really compete with all the majority of all the rest out there…
no way around that…
whoever thinks, can’t agree on this, does not make a serious living from his/her sonic shit…

4 Likes

Looks clever
Sounds like. Glitchy , melodyless , tuneless data.
Ps. I. Liked. Early autechre before they started sounding like data.

3 Likes

What’s in the box?

2 Likes

It’s a sysex file that has been renamed .wav and heralded as a return to form …

1 Like

puredata is basically MAX

It seems easier as I thought it would be! Could be fooling myself :clown_face:

1 Like

too funny.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot in the last few days.

Mostly in the context of “should I buy the RC-505 mkII?”
A multitrack looper is the only thing I’m gassing for right now, and I understand I can probably get the same results with looper in live, or Edison in FL (I’m still not heavily $$$ invested in one or the other). Going the software route for this function would be a defining action in my studio setup. Probably best for my wallet.
decisions… decisions.

1 Like

Yes, it goes both ways. Don’t think I want to use my computer as a looper … Elektronauts is around the corner … :grin:

1 Like

@shankiphonic…this 505 multiple looper/fx/mixer box is the ONLY really good investment u can make, when it comes to hardware from roland… :wink:
THAT’s a truu otb instrument…for realtime catching of UR truu live expression workflow AND to harvest all ur sonic results in any itb solution later on…

doing that with any kind of itb/sofware solution is nowhere near the fun…
and if u really wanna have the same workflow feel and solidity, it needs way more than just the right software to do so…proper .latency and interface, not to mention some compareble hardwre controler, is an absolute MUST if u decide to lean to that direction…

so, the investment into that roland/boss looper hardware device would at least leave u with the same amount of money here, if ur itb status is not really there yet already…

as far as i know, this mc505 thing does even offer dedicated storage options via some sd card…
so u actully can transfer the single files in all standard ways onto any computer…

1 Like

Stop telling me exactly what I want to hear, @reeloy!

Jk

Latency and setup hassles from the early 2000’s (with cakewalk on windows) I think, is one of the main reasons I enjoy going straight to blinking lights and knobs.

And yeah, @TobySD sometimes my productivity per hour is low on the laptop. But occasionally it’s really good, if I keep the browser closed.

1 Like