Thinking of going back in the box

@shankiphonic …just sayin’… :wink:

but just factchecked it…and it seems, at least with this sd card memory option i promised a little too much…
so there is actually some downside to it…the files seem to stay IN the machine, yes, but if u wanna do the itb finishing treatment trick, ur forced to rerecord/resample it’s single tracks…

so, there u got ur little bummer…

1 Like

the sd card would have been a bonus.

the specs do mention:
“USB for data backup, phrase import/export with BOSS Tone Studio, …”

I’m sure it’s just as good as the Transfer app… :laughing:

bringing this full circle, resampling is all part of the joy of working outside the box…

1 Like

Well, the amount of setup problems I had with a DT, a microfreak and a RC-202 wasn’t any fun either. Never underestimate the fury created by MIDI implementation.

1 Like

I’m at this point today. I’m interested to hear what is everyone’s favourite/most productive/most enjoyable workflow when working exclusively itb. I want to hear about DAWs, midi controllers etc.

Ableton and nothing else

Maschine mk3 in standalone mode

6 Likes

Ableton Live, I’d go with an Akai APC-40 mkii as my focus would be on performance - best controller I’ve used personally can serve a lot of functions. Push2 is OK for composition although personally I didn’t really get on with it - too much menu hopping it felt like a step backwards to me. I’d rather use a mouse when working in the DAW its just easier.

If you want more controls I’d consider some combination of Novation LaunchControl XL and Midi Fighter.

3 Likes

I relate to that, but for me it’s Logic and the SP404MKII.

I feel like the problem with going ITB is that it’s hard to get people to be interested in your tracks. If you make stuff on hardware, there are loads of people out there that will be interested in hearing what you made. Although, I’m not exactly out there hustling, not do I want to be. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve never tried the apc but with push 2 I just felt it was too big and cumbersome to do some things. Really all I need for ableton live is some rotary encoders and ideally some buttons for step sequencing…

2 Likes

only the other gear heads. Other people won’t care.
If you do try to reach them via youtube or instagram hardware might attract more attention. But that’s still super niche and should not be the reason for avoiding software if it suits your workflow and music better imo

7 Likes

Yep, and I’d only recommend the APC for performance - if you’re composing in the DAW it wouldn’t be neccessary.

I think often people try to find a middle ground with controllers but end up with a worst-of-both worlds.

Nothing quicker than grabbing a mouse and drawing an automation envelope and however well you have your knobs mapped there’s always going to be a setting you need to grab your mouse for anyway.

I have made the same experience even with push. That’s also why I enjoy Maschine controller only in maschine software. since the software was created for the controller and not the other way around. It doesn’t try to be a DAW and although many people seem to want it to be more full featured, I‘m actually happy that it still can be completely controlled from the hardware.
Doesn’t work for DAWs.
An additional sequencer like OXI one or Hapax might be fun with ableton, I don’t know. Piano roll is not the most fun composing tool. But there are some very nice m4l sequencer fortunately

2 Likes

I have a Push 2 and don’t use it that often, I should sell it really… I find the Novation Launch Control XL and Launchpad Pro is a WAY better option for getting hands on and performative with Live 11.

I like faders… I think that’s what kills the Push 2 for me.
I think I might like the APC40 for this reason.
The Launchpad Pro implementation of using the 8x8 pads for Volume, Sends, Pan, etc, is really cool and nice to work with too.

Also, Live 11’s ‘Command+M’ functionality for midi assignment is superb and gives you a way to customise it any way you want with any midi gear you have.
I’m using an Allen & Heath K2 at the moment too, which I like… I have it set up as a dedicated controller for my Ableton master channel and 3x return/aux tracks, where I can change all kinds of parameters on the fly… and I use it’s own 4x4 pads for transport and a bunch of common functions I want one button for.

EDIT: this is my current Ableton Live dedicated case:

4 Likes
5 Likes

The K2 is great :ok_hand: A&H stuff is quality and they’re some of the better faders you can get in a controller IMO. Kind of regret selling mine tbh!

I like the Push 2 for coming up with melodies I wouldn’t normally play on a keyboard. For sound design, meh, too much menu diving - until you get things dialed in with the mouse and then assign macros - now with up to 16 macros in v11. Pretty cool.

Just snagged a cheap used APC40 mkII off Reverb. Looking forward to using the faders and cross-fader. Might take a while to figure out the optimal workflow, as in, what functions I want to do on the apc vs push. Definitely some overlap.

Still have a LaunchControl XL too. Might turn it into a full-time controller for a drumrack. A makeshift TR-8S.

I really wish Ableton would develop some more controllers. Not a Push 2 replacement but additional ones. Something like the APC40 mkII but with better industrial design to match Push 2. What can I say, I’m a sucker for aesthetics.

1 Like

Check midi fighter twister.

1 Like

The menus have always annoyed me with the Push, and I never realized until I read your post. I really like it for sampling, though. The Simpler is great.

You’re right. I think Simpler works really well with Push 2. Forgot about that one.

Is the midi fighter twister easy to configure?

There’s an extensive video guide/review:

And here a video of a 'naut, @jayhosking showing the use of both Push & Twister:

2 Likes