Thinking of something to accompany my new MD

Hi,

I recently got a MD and I’m loving it but now I’m looking at getting a synth and/or effects to be sequenced by the MD. Iv got around 700 euro to spend. I was thinking of getting a blofeld and run it through an OTO Biscuit. What else could you recommend I look at that would be good alternatives to this. Keep in mind I’d like to keep it so that I can run the synth through the MD inputs so that I only need to plug headphones into the headphones out of the MD and don’t need a mixer. Also with the Blofeld/Biscuit, could I use midi to sequence the blofeld and the biscuit and have them playing/sequenced to different lines?

Aby input is appreciated.

Sc

The new Waldorf Pulse 2 looks really nice… As for FX I just picked up a Eventide Time Factor adn love it a really cool hands on sonic sculpting tool…

Cool, I’ll give the pulse a good lookin. Also, I’m into making strange, low-fi sounds. Just to let people know what music I’m making.

Be aware that running anything through the MD’s inputs is going to degrade the original sound. It may not matter to you as you dig lo-fi, but to my ears, better results come from running the MD through another instrument’s inputs instead of vice versa.

+1 - - Sound quality on MD inputs is weird… it’ll treat incoming signals like it treats samples, make it lofi and crunchy… so it might actually work for your stuff.

I was in the same predicament as you… I tried a few different synths, the tetra, blofeld, but I didn’t like the sound quality through the MDUW, nor did I like sacrificing so many MD tracks… so I saved for an A4 and love it. I feed the MDUWs outputs into the A4, and there is no degradation of sound. The precision of the MDUW sounds cuts through the A4 warms quite nicely. A beautiful combination of sounds. I recommend this if you have the patience to wait and save a bit.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for the response. I’ll defo consider saving a bit more. :smiley:

Wondering if anyone has any input into my midi queries about being able sequence different lines on two different devices. How exactly do I chain them together? Is the midi thru input used?

If I understand that you want to sequence Blofeld + Biscuit from the MD, you can use a MidiSport 2x2.
Midi out of MD -> MidiSport in
MidiSport output A -> Blofeld (midi ch1)
MidiSport output B -> Biscuit (midi ch2)

That’s how I sequence Blofeld and MoPho from the Octatrack.

OTO Biscuit+MD are a match made in heaven. Biscuit’s filters warm up the MD and give it a analog character (if you want) and the bitcrushing and step filter synced to the MD plus the FX make it a perfect compliment. Can’t recommend that combination enough- just messing with the knobs on the Biscuit and modding the sequence can give incredible variation to your sequence on the MD without even touching it.

The Pulse 2 looks great but if it’s anything like the first Pulse it has a very specific sound that you’d have to really like in order to use it as the main compliment to your MD. It does great FM-like bass lines and can do some nice shiny leads too. I’d save up for the 3 oscillator MFB Dominion X (or X SED). Probably the best Mono available for the money (very aggressive sounding if you’re into that).