Tim Hecker @ Fabric tonight

Last time I was in the Fabric main room (probably close to 10 years ago), there was a big section of the floor which is actually the ‘subs’ for the room.
There are no actual speakers covering those frequencies, so if you go and stand by the door, you only hear the high end.

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks.

They put in new sound systems a few (5?) years ago. Wonder if they kept to that design with the subby floor… It’s actually a very clever way to control the sound, with 3 rooms in fairly close proximity.

1 Like

Enjoyed it but got there too late to get a good space so was squashed in near the DJ booth which kind of lessened the enjoyment. Would turn up earlier for a gig there in future as it’s not actually that spacious (maybe a bit oversold I thought?)

To the side of the DJ booth? Yeah that’s not great. It was full, but people weren’t packed like sardines, I think if people just squeezed in a little bit, lots of the people at the back there could have fit as well.

1 Like

Yeah well just in front of the main bottleneck which was a bit better but was really tightly wedged between people and there was no way to go further forward. Was a shame as it detracted from the music. I’m not claustrophobic but it still wasn’t that pleasant!

1 Like

A pretty old video, but as far as I can see, the Room 1 system hasn’t changed since (or they haven’t changed the floor at least).

1 Like

Thanks, nice video.

I can’t see it very clearly in the video, but I think the speakers have changed. They have 4 sets of speakers hanging from the ceiling, in each corner but moved in a meter or two. Each set has two panels, pointed outwards at a slight angle. Fairly prominent to see, but I can’t make it out in the video.

Also, I remember the complete sound system for the bigger room on the other side was for sale a few years ago, on Reverb or maybe their own website.

I hope they kept the floor. I feel like a bit of an idiot, I’ve been there a number of times and never felt the floor was vibrating. Or maybe it just shows they did it subtle enough for good effect, not as a gimmick.

1 Like

Was on sale on eBay apparently: