Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

Yes some more styles and phrases (Or whats the names) would be very welcome!

did you let them know / ask if that’s planned?

Nightlife Electronics in Vancouver has limited stock for anyone looking in Canada/North America:

A new jam by Dean Freud on the youtube channel “Sequencer Talk”

with Torso Electronics t-1 - TubeOhm Jeannie - Norand Mono - Novation Circuit Rhythm / SequencerTalk Jams

Synthdad went into detail in this tutorialvideo on how to make techno with the t1 & eurorack.

" Timestamp 00:00 Introduction 00:17 Quick tour of the T-1 interface 01:16 Editing tracks and settings 01:55 Gate and CV outputs 03:00 What modules am I using in today’s patch? 04:28 How to configure the T-1 using the software 06:04 Let’s start patching the T-1 to the modular 08:08 How to map tracks on the T-1 to CV/gate outputs 10:05 Use random modulation on the T-1 to create variations 12:02 How to add more notes and make melodic progressions 13:22 Range - pitching notes up and down 13:49 Randomise note ranges to create instant melodies 14:09 Cycles on the T-1 - how to create parameter automation 16:08 Save your work! 16:49 More advanced patching in the modular 19:28 How to use note velocity as a modulation source for the modular 21:21 Adding random modulation to velocity 21:59 Outro and closing jam

Modules Used - Intellijel Palette case 62hp - Intellijel Quadratt 1U - Intellijel dual VCA 1U - Mosaic mono mixer 1U - Intellijel Stereo line out 1U - Instruo Ochd - Noise Engineering Manis Iteratis - Make Noise QPAS - Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4 - Mutable Instruments Plaits - After Later stereo Ripples - Manhattan audio mixer"

3 Likes

Perfect Circuit put up an article. Includes video of Brian using it to play Virus desktop and Ableton synths, while jamming along on piccolo bass; and also explaining what he’s doing.

1 Like

@sid6581 Thank you for sharing. I’m on the edge of ordering one…just can’t quite pull the trigger yet, but seeing comments like yours are maybe helping me firm up my decision. I own both a Toraiz Squid and Squarp Pyramid. I think they both can do quite a lot, but I get frustrated by the workflow. I think the T-1’s workflow is what is attracting me to it more than anything else. Since you mention the Squid, I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing in what other ways you use the Squid and how you decided to add the T-1 into the mix.

2 Likes

there is only one MIDI adapter included, right? I wonder if I want the T1 to act as a master clock or not … rather not actually.

so much work, talk and modular money invested for a pretty unsatisfying end result :sweat_smile: would not buy after seeing this video tbh

3 Likes

Yeah tutorial has plenty of good advice but end result really isn’t great. But that’s like so many gear demos I find

3 Likes

I tried it with the Pulsar then realised that I enjoy using the Pulsar for its own self-generated sequences involving lots of funky wiring.

For me the T1 really shines with the Model:Cycles / Samples (or ideally both), for improvised jamming purposes.

Also I’ve enjoyed getting to know my Digitone better through the vitality that the T1 injects into things. I’m discovering melodies and harmonies I would never have done otherwise, but also really enjoying the ability to tweak the sequences or delete everything but one element, and build something new from the ground up, all on the fly.

For me, it’s (so far) providing the ideal balance so that I feel part of what is going on, whilst being led by the different elements that drop in.

It’s apples and oranges in terms of work-flow, but it’s not unlike the sense of flow that I experience with the Lyra, only more dynamic.

The conversation continues!

4 Likes

Would that involve recording the sequence from the T1 as a MIDI track on the Digitone?

Forgive the simple question but I’ve only ever worked with 1 sequencer at a time thus far.

1 Like

i don’t think this is already posted Sekuoia | Torso Live Sessions - YouTube

I like how there is kind of blend of composition and curation here, the thing sequences, but the human hears and guides it.

haven’t had the time to test this weekend …but worth checking: Monomachine and A4 support p-locks while being sequenced externally and still play those p-locks. Maaaybe the DN also can do it. On the other drumcomputers like AR, DR those p-locks only act like scenes (while pressing down they are active) - either way - also might be fun to play around with!

1 Like

One question for the current owner:

How easy is it to make it sound bad? For example I am pretty good at getting nothing useable / worth listening to from my M4L Euclidean Sequencer :sweat_smile: only sometimes I got something cool out of it

this one:

I wonder if it’s more luck or more knowledge about math / music theory

1 Like

Well thats a matter of taste and listening isnt it?
I only like 10% of all the t1-vids that ive found.

I just find it fast and stumble upon happy surprises a lot. Just mixmatching patterns and instruments is fun already.
I dont really go 100% euclidean, since i find it boring, so its great normal steps are possible too.
But main thing is the fast use of Cycles.
I love that feature.

1 Like

I believe in universal taste/beauty – some tastes are a bit off though … but nothing that is unfixable!

I preordered one from Schneidersladen in Germany. Originally I planned to use it with a rack waveststion or another oldskool rompler type thingy. I love the sound of these and it is already really fun with the octatrack sequencing the uvi mks80 plugin.
Could not find any rompler for a reasonable price, so maybe I will just give it a go with Ableton…

Yes, just did it.

Adds a nice extra dimension of variation.

2 Likes

Yay!! Only problem is now … you can’t record the trigs onto the DN as the p-locks would be lost then…

1 Like