Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

OK I’ve spent a couple hours trying to generate some kind of breakbeats with the MPC/T-1. I tried using three breaks (Amen, Impeach and some random break from a pack). Nothing that the T-1/MPC combo gave me was usable. At first I thought the MPC just didn’t want to behave, but after some investigation I discovered that when sequencing it from an external source the pads/slots are not in order (example: C is like pad 5, but c# is pad 1). This makes sequencing anything that makes sense kind of tricky. I suspect that if I actually filled a programs slots completely that it might fare a bit better - I was only using 16-slice sample programs here.

On the T-1 side of things, I think I’m not familiar enough with the device to really do this properly. The patterns I was getting are usually less useful then if I just sent random arpeggiated patterns to the sequencer of my MPC from my Keystep37.

None of this means this is impossible, but I think sequencing an MPC with the T-1 might be less than ideal, and I don’t think I’m actually right person for the job sadly. Maybe somebody who’s more familiar with the T-1 can take a crack at it.

1 Like

you can remap MPC’s pad notes to be whatever values you want (pressing the Chromatic tab in note mapping will start at C-1 with pad A-1)

also be aware the absolute lowest note value for MPC is C -2 but there is a quirk I’ve noticed sequencing mine from Hapax, that what MPC deems the lowest note is not always what other devices consider C-0 — on Hapax, MPC C -2 = Squarp C-0, for example

1 Like

Same! The rhythms I can do on the T1, but for harmonies I am completely lost each time.

Warning, complaining ahead! I respect the work that went into creating this device, but I just want to rant a bit. :upside_down_face:

I think it boils down to bad UX/UI for me, or a very “different paradigm” of UX, if you will.

I learned and forgot the shortcut for pasting patterns at least three times now, because in this paradigm there’s no paste button, only a three-finger button combo.

And the colors… They just don’t make sense to me. They’re not consistent or logical at all. Why are patterns all shades of blue? A selected pattern is white, but empty patterns are not blank, they’re also blue for some reason…

It wouldn’t be so bad if the manual was good. Clearly they realized the need for a good manual and hired someone to do a version 2.0 of the manual… so they did 230 pages of it, with 1/4 of the page taken up by a “notes” field, but still as user-unfriendly as the rest of it. Digitakt’s is 96 pages, Hapax’s is 112, and I’m not sure the T1 needs that many pages.

I don’t know why, but I can feel the information bouncing off my eyeballs when I read it. The fonts, the layout, the graphics, the way it’s presented – all of it just rubs me the wrong way. Is that too much to ask for, for the manual to be pretty? 🥲

Overall, it feels like the device went from design to manufacturing without being evaluated from an outside UX perspective at all, and the only UX work was done by the people designing the device, who can tell you what all the hues of colors mean in their sleep :brain::sleeping::woman_scientist:

2 Likes

I don’t agree with all your statements but for sure, the T-1 is a device which forces the user to seriously explore the manual and learn by heart all the different colour meanings (that can be different from a part to an other).

1 Like

The only (that I have come across) manual that delivers a step by step guide on every single function of the device :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I have to disagree. There are things that frustrate me about the T-1 (some are a translation issue, I think. I would name practically every knob differently, for example) but the UX isn’t one of them. In particular, the different colors are vital because the interface is so modal and the colors are the way it communicates what mode it’s in.

But it’s not intuitive — or, at least, not intuitive coming from most synths or sequencers — because it’s trying to do something different. I feel like, when starting with the knowledge of the different approach they’re taking, it could all fit together nicely.

I just wish they took more time to articulate exactly what that core philosophy behind the device was rather than giving us really well produced videos and documentation of specific slices of its features. Without that key to unlock intuition, it really requires careful study and an unusual amount of memorization.

As far as the manual bouncing off your eyes, I feel you. I think it was written as a workbook (hence the notes). I had a lot of success going through the manual with my T-1 right there, trying everything hands-on as I was reading it.

6 Likes

Hi, i have a couple of questions.

Could anyone help me undertand how probability works please ?

I have a 16 step bar. I have a pulse on step 6, 13 and 14.

Whatever direction I choose with probability, things go like this :
At first no change, then pulse on the 13th goes steadily silent, when going further, nothing changes until 6 and 14 also get muted definitely.

Is there something I did not understand ?

Another question according to manual, timing parameter is editable per step, but no matter what I try it always edit all pulses in the track. Any hints ?

Thank you very much for your help.

ok but nah

I just tried to understand this by going through pages 95-96 of the manual and trying this out on my Torso.

First of all, I think that probability does not apply a ‘chance’ parameter to each trig or note, but determines a fixed (and repeated) pattern of trigs or notes being silenced. This pattern can be shifted with the pink buttons.

Second, the difference between the left and range is: towards the left, sequencer pulses (and therefore also repeats) get silenced; towards the right, notes get silenced - these can be triggers and/or repeats.

1 Like

This device literally turns me into math_lady_meme.jpeg
I love it

1 Like

Thanks, that’what I also read.
These random, probability functions need quite a bit of core understanding before achieving desired results it seems. Need to practice !

1 Like

Yeah, I think one of the key points is that it is not randomization, but a predefined pattern of silenced trigs/notes whose number increases as you go further in this parameter. To try this out, put 16 triggers as well as repeats in a 16 step pattern and slowly change “probability”.

Does that “Pattern” change across tracks or patterns, the same way “Random” does?

1 Like

Good question, I do not know. Will try tomorrow morming!

1 Like

Well, sort of :wink:

• Most of the “primary” main knob parameters (steps, pulses, etc) can be nudged in random ways by the hidden “random” track.
  • The hidden “random” track can, itself, mutate a lot or a little over time. At very high settings, it changes a little each step. At lowest settings it doesn’t change at all — it essentially becomes a static loop that keeps repeating.
  • Normally the “strength” of the nudge that the hidden “random” track applies to a parameter is set by turning that parameter’s knob while pushing in the Random knob.

But you might notice a problem: Probability isn’t a “primary” paremeter of a knob. It’s a secondary parameter of the velocity knob. If we turned velocity while holding down random, it would only effect the amount of random nudge the velocity gets!

But this turns out to not be a problem because Probability, specifically, is completely different from every other parameter on the T-1. It is always “directly wired” to random amount. When we adjust probability normally (by holding CTRL and turning velocity) what we are actually doing is adjusting the amount of nudge random gives it (like when we holding random and turn the knob of a primary parameter).

So probability of a note can be random, but it can also not be — just like all the other primary parameters. When the hidden “random” pattern isn’t being mutated at all (turn random all the way counter-clockwise so every thing is blue instead of pink), the notes not played by probability are always the same. When the hidden “random” pattern is being mutated (turn random clockwise so it fills up pink), then the notes not played by probability change as well.

8 Likes

Wow, thanks, that’s really helpful!! I need to try that out as soon as I get back to my T1 tomorrow!

Last FW update they removed per step timing as it was buggy. Will be implemented again soon as per change log.

Does this work well as a standard step sequencer too?

It’s a little tricky to input individual notes per step but on you get your head around it it works fine. Then you can take this basic step sequence and modify it to become completely unrecognizable

2 Likes

Well, it only gets a bit complicated when mixing user steps with the native Euclidean steps. Apart from that it’s completely easy to just put in the steps yourself if you want. You just push the steps and they’re there, like with any sequencer. In practice though, the T-1 moves me almost always to go with how it’s intended to be used instead of manually entering steps.

Added: but especially for plock-like stuff, or any specific per step parameter edits, it’s not that easy/handy.

3 Likes