Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

You can take a look at the manual section " *2.9 Command Quick Reference" (page 42ff). * I would say there are not exactly few.

I also recently bought one secondhand from the kickstarter batch and it feels and performs perfect

1 Like

That’s correct.
I was talking about the ones that are out of the scope of basic operation.
Far more intuitive than most sequencers I have used so far.
And without a LCD.

2 Likes

Quick Q that the manual didn’t answer: can the T1 do CV-to-midi conversion? It has inputs, so I figured it should, but I see no mention of it anywhere… Anyone tried it?

I want to use my Rene to play MIDI gear.

Have not tried it but it seems the cv in is for modulation. Not sure though.

1 Like

‘Paddling’ ? :wink:

I received my Torso yesterday. I spent 2 afternoons on it and… Wow ! This thing is really nice. I use a lot of random bpm and timing in my music and this sequencer is just perfect for it. The ability to randomize almost every parameters is very powerful.
The only con for me right now is the lack of screen, I think it could have been really helpful with complex programming but that’s okay.

3 Likes

I honestly think the only place I miss a screen is for having dynamic labels for the pads/cycles/patterns/banks — mostly it’s easy enough to do with static labels and routine/conventions, bit it’d be a bit easier to pick up that way… Possibly also for hints on the groove and style options. Overall though, I kind of like it not having one. I think if they’d used one, it would have steered the design towards being more of an environment you work on than an instrument you play. The fact that it feels like the latter is I think the magic for me.

2 Likes

Personally a screen would have ruined it for me. I know it’s weird, but it’s kinda refreshing that an instrument is making use your earballs more than your eyeballs….

8 Likes

In fact, there is a lot of visual feedbacks about what’s going on with pads and their colours. So you use eyeballs a lot :wink:
I was talking about pattern with lot of cycles with very different parameters on each (like division, number of steps, etc…) that can make difficult to understand what’s happening. But in fact, that’s okay; I’m just not sure to fully understand a sequence that I made months ago on it.

Past a couple tracks, and the thing is lighting up like a runaway fission reaction, trying to understand what the lights are telling me is a waste of brainpower.

2 Likes

Because there is no screen, there’s always an element of surprise. And I like the fact that I don’t know what I’m doing. Sometimes it’s almost like the T1 is alive.

For me it’s like the Lyra8, nobody would want a screen on the Lyra8. The T1 feels the same, like an organismic sequencer.

2 Likes

This was it! After a little over 9 months of toying with it, tonight was the night I finally understood the T-1 and it was glorious!

12 Likes

Awesome. I have one since a month and I just use it occasionally on the side with just my laptop or one synth. To me it’s still exploratory and fun, but I can imagine it to click at some point like with you now. Hope so!

1 Like

Last night, it finally clicked for me. I made an incredibly interesting bassline that I might not have come up with myself on the pro-3, a basic but satisfying chord progression on the T5, and an ok drum part on the MD. I think I’m going to try sequencing a chopped drum break on the MPC One with it - if I can sequence a decent jungle break with it I think I’ll be keeping it after all.

4 Likes

Please share a clip of the jungle break if you do manage it, I’d be very interested in knowing if the T1 works for that.

1 Like

I’ll definitely post it here!

2 Likes

Hey there!

I have been struggling connecting my AR with t-1… I am trying virtually everything I see but no success at all… I have tried switching all hardawre components (cables, midi dongles, adapters, etc) and tested that the RYTM s midi is receiving and that the trso is sending (even in the settings) and after matching all the channels, i have no success. They are just not communicating. Would you mind giving me a short lesson on how to do so? I would greatly appreciate some help :slight_smile:

Hi mate,

No worries - I will help if I can. I’m currently not with my gear and won’t be until late next week so can’t check this physically.

From memory:

Make sure the torso is set up correctly in the desktop app.

Make sure the rytm is setup to receive midi notes.

Align the channels (or just use them as found, as they run 1-12)

Crucially, I think the default note of the torso sequencer is C4, and the rytm doesn’t respond in that octave. So you have to drop the torso trigs down to C3 (or lower) to start triggering the rytm.

Hope this helps and I’ll update if anything else comes to mind.

2 Likes

you’re a genius! it was the pitch aspect that was not reading! thank you so much!!! :black_heart::black_heart::black_heart::black_heart:

5 Likes