Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

Have been using T-1 with my modular. After using it alongside Elektron sequencers.
The unit is very hands on.
Random has a global parameter (press random and choose the amount of randomness). Now each parameter can be affected in a bipolar way pressing random and adjusting (for example) random on pulses: more or less chance of pulses being fired.
Add cycles, per step edit (in cycle mode also) and this thing is really taking over my way of sequencing.
With modular, I get 2 gates and 4 cv or. Any of the 4 cv can be used as gates. For modulation, I am affecting velocity to a cv out, then use the random function :slight_smile:
And this thing has NO SCREEN.
Pretty baffled.

2 Likes

But I guess you can’t control the rate/amount of change of each of the individual random parameter sequences separately – that’s per track, right?

Wierd one this; I look at the features and think it’s right up my street… I consider the interface and wonder if we’d ever get on. Looks like one of those machines where it’s ok if you work with it all the time (ie it can be locked in with continued use), but if you’re in and out of it I worry it would be one of those where you feel like you’re relearning every time?

Any advice on the interface would be gratefully received - for context I’m a can do complex sequencers type chap, but don’t like the tekken-ness button combos of the octatrack, and really kind of wish my nymphes had a screen… I’m guessing it might not be for me and for once don’t fancy paying the entrance fee to find out?!

1 Like

Completely agree. Have had mine for a couple of months and whipping up insane drum patterns is super easy… but getting predictably good results when messing with melodic stuff is (still) hard.

I am kind of waiting for someone smarter and more sequencer-savvy than me to do a 1-2 hour deep dive video on the melodic aspects as its like there just are some things i dont fully “get”

3 Likes

You have a global amount of random per track (push+turn random) then each parameter can be randomized (bipolar) pressing parameter while turning random CW or CCW.
Meaning at any given moment, you can change it globally on a track by simply increasing or decreasing random.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a VST plugin that has the same features and functionality as the T1? Would need to be amenable to MIDI hardware control.

Right,the amount of modulation can be controlled per parameter, you’re absolutely right. If I get greedy, I can see myself asking for control over the per-parameter random sequence ”mutation rate”, like you now do per track.

1 Like

As it is, it is already hard to follow the level or RND globally and then per track /per parameter RND.

Actually, using Cycles, you can go around that :slight_smile:

The way I understand it:

It is random, but it can be looped randomness, meaning certain length random value applied in repeating patterns. However, if you make it 100% random then it will constantly evolve and then it’s fully random.

So there exists a global random modulation lane, which you apply on your parameter as much or as little as you want. You can specify how much you want this lane to evolve (from nothing to average to constantly randomly changing). Depending on parameter type, the modulation is applied either per cycle (i.e. steps) or per step (i.e. sustain). If it’s applied per step, then you can specify the time division of that with a rate knob. Then you can also shift the modulation lane one step at a time back or forth (with VB8 and VB16). The shift and amount of randomness applied are per parameter, unlike rate and evolution settings which are global.

So it can be pretty hard to predictably understand what is going on since there are so many parameters which influence the final result. However I do think this implementation of looped randomness is really cool and provides an infinite amount of variations.

Oh and you can also reload random sequence simply by parameter knob + random + clear.

2 Likes

I think that if you have the time to dedicate to learning it, it can probably be very helpful/ powerful. It’s the most “instrument-like” sequencer I’ve used, and like you mentioned it seems like it does take some dedication.

For me, I think I’m running up against two issues: first, I don’t have time to practice in a focused manner for extended periods of time (1-2+ hours/ day). So by the time I come back to it I have to relearn the things that I practiced the time before.
Second, I really just don’t gel with the interface. In theory it’s very simple, but it’s kind of hard to read the dark text for a secondary functions, and unless I reference the manual it isn’t always easy to remember exactly what is going to happen when I twist a knob. The button combinations and order of operations for some things aren’t hard on paper but in practice I get lost really easily.

This really just supports the first point though - it seems to require dedication and practice.

3 Likes

I got my t-1 in June 21 and for the first few months I didn’t click at all with the device. It was only late that year when I spent a few hours playing with it solidly in a standalone way (just triggering 1 synth) that it started to make sense, and I managed to make something musically appealing with it - not just generative style semi-random notes locked to a scale.

For me, it’s one of those devices that doesn’t immediately tooth in well with a larger setup (I had, and still have, this with the analog rytm as well). It needed focus and exploration before I could incorporate it with more items of gear.

Even now, it begs to be played rather than set - and without more arms and hands, this comes at the expense of playing other playable gear - so it kind of wants to be front and centre in my setup.

Although not intuitive, I actually like the interface now, I know where the knobs are without refering to the symbols. However, I’m not sure it’s a device where one could have a fixed idea at the start and then achieve that. Sometimes I can have a loose concept I’d like to achieve and then get reasonably close to that.

It’s true brilliance for me is to turn it on with no intention. Add a few pulses, set a scale, add a few notes - then start exploring the functions, gently increasing or decreasing values to track and understand how these changes take effect.

7 Likes

It’s funny, the two replies (thank you!) sum up my conundrum - the approach sounds right up my street, the interface much less so…

I’d be working with it front and centre, but in rotation with other sequencers which is what worries me - I could put the learning in but fear it might be one of those you need to relearn after a couple of months away.

IMHO that’s not the case. The hurdle is not muscle memory, but rather realizing how the thing operates - and I have a hunch that once you have that down, you have that down even after some time away from the T1.

(Just speculating, haven’t really been in that situation)

3 Likes

That’s been my experience with it

That’s good to know, thanks - I’d hope to be able to figure out the operation, it was the button combinations/layout that worried me. I guess there’s only one way to find out ultimately…

Yes.

(Low key loving the fact that this is actually the answer to your very observant and concise question even though it is over 300 words)

3 Likes

Hi

Im looking buy one and was wondering if u can tell if its from the original Kickstarter batch or the latest batch

Also i found out that one batch has clickless encoders is that correct

Thanks

It has a minimum of button Com inations to be honest.

1 Like

There’s only a single batch of limited edition Clickless encoders, and my understanding is they are only available through the site. They may even be out of stock.

I debated it myself but am glad I went with the clicking encoders. Since there’s no screen it’s just enough tactile and visual feedback so you know what you’re doing. I feel like I’d be lost without the clicking.

As for it being from the kickstarter batch or not, I imagine if you’re buying new, you wouldn’t be getting one from that batch.

If you are buying used, the owner should know, though from what I’ve heard there doesn’t seem to really be a difference in build quality between the two.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply ive just bought one S/H off the Bay but not arrived as yet but been told it has the clickable encoders which im glad about