Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

Love it, it’s pretty unique. Have a Hapax too and see little overlap - T1 vs Hapax or, say, Elektrons.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve been using the T1 exclusively since the update (I also have a hapax).

I really enjoy the workflow improvements on the original system, which was already pretty good.

Haven’t played that much with the new midi effects, although having a little inbuilt keyboard is handy (if buggy).

1 Like

Personally I can’t really get my head around it. I have to keep the manual PDF open at all times, and I just can’t get muscle memory built up for it. Particularly regarding melodic stuff. I’ve only had it for about two weeks though and haven’t been able to dig into it like I really want to - just like an hour at a time.

2 Likes

Not yet, but I think they said on the discord that they were looking at it.

1 Like

No playback options in that way, but you’re able to change just about every parameter, including pulse (trigger), note, velocity, repeats, even track divisions, per-step. You also have Cycles which you can think of as “Pages” from Elektron that can be identical or totally different from the previous Cycle, and you can have as many as 16 of those per track, per pattern.

Considering you can do that across 16 tracks, and each track could have different step lengths, divisions, and pages… you don’t miss something like Random or Ping Pong playback. It can get chaotic and random real fast as it is.

2 Likes

You press ctrl+step and then just either rotate pitch encoder or press pitch encoder down and select the note on the ’step keyboard’ shown on the step buttons.

1 Like

This hasn’t just been the hardest sequencer I’ve ever had to wrap my head around, but maybe the hardest piece of gear period (and I’m pretty proficient with a lot of gear). It’s a fantastic device for just playing around with, but understanding what’s happening in a predictable way has been a real challenge for me.

Which is a shame because I don’t think there’s anything about it that’s very complicated at the end of the day. It’s an extremely well-considered and impeccably designed piece of kit. So it’s not broken or inconsistent. I know the answers are out there. Maybe it’s a language issue or they just haven’t found the best way to communicate about it yet, or its a whole class of thing that I’m just unfamiliar with the history of or something.

The new manual with the 2.0 release is a huge step forward, and thanks to it I’m both understanding and using my T-1 more and more. And I really enjoy it; it’s worth sticking with! But learning it has, for me, somehow been harder than it ought to be.

5 Likes

The pitch and harmony stuff still feels a bit opaque to me, but most of the rest feels pretty solid. I like the results, but that feels like one of the areas they could open up a bit more.

1 Like

Anyone having trouble, I’m happy to help out. I dunno why or how, but I find it fairly intuitive and easy to use on stage. So much so, that I’ve been playing shows with it with zero pre-programmed sequences. Holler. Happy to help!

5 Likes

Having spent a week with the Oxi One I’ve had sitting in a box all fall while my T1 was taking a trip home to get reflashed after a mishap, I can say that I really, really miss it. Yes, the Oxi technically has some generative modes, but I find them much, much harder to get interesting stuff out of with any amount of control — and once I do get something, it’s kind of baked in — I can’t reshape it on the fly. This isn’t a snub on the Oxi — it’s not trying to do the same thing as the T1, but it’s maybe not for me.

I’m seriously considering buying a second T1 just to have a backup. Also, though, it would be kinda nice to have 32 tracks so I can flip back and forth between stuff inside the same pattern.

Maybe we’ll get a T2 at some point…

2 Likes

Why?

the T-1 just revived interest in the (discontinued) NDRL
i just dont use the NDLR as much if that is what u are asking.

If you (or anyone!) could explain random to me, that’d be amazing. Near as I can tell:

• There’s an invisible “rand sequence” of 16 random values someplace.
  • Each parameter (knob) can have a (bipolar?!) “rand depth” assigned to it.
  • On each step of the “rand sequence” (which is sometimes the same as the step of the sequencer but sometimes not), each parameter applies the amount of that rand step’s value scaled by the “rand depth” of that param.

But none of that is actually random, because the values of the invisible “rand sequence” are actually static and unchanging. Until…

You change the “randomization amount” of the “rand sequence”. Then the value of the current step in the invisible “rand sequence” is adjusted up or down by some random value scaled by the “randomization amount” each step? (Or maybe the randomization amount is the percentage change any step in the “rand sequence” will change it’s value? I’m really unclear about this.)

So “random” on the T-1 is really more like a step sequencer. It’s just that the CV of each step is randomly adjusted up or down in small increments so it slowly drifts into different patterns? And this step sequencer can be applied as a modulation source to any param scaled by some amount?

4 Likes

You actually nailed all of that, yes. And, you can change the “random” sequence with track buttons 8 and 16 on either each parameter, or just the random knob, I’m forgetting where it is in my ol’ mind’s eye.

I’m asking why the T-1 revived interest in the NDLR. They seem to serve dramatically different purposes.

They are very different. Just saying the NDLR got far more attention once the T-1 entered the game.

Each track has its own random sequence. It’s unclear from the documentation if it’s actually a separate sequence for every parameter, or just one total per track. I think the sequence might be longer than just 16 values, too, as it doesn’t seem to repeat every cycle.

If the random knob is all the way down, each per-track sequence (or set of sequences is static. As you turn the knob up, each track will start to have elements replaced with new random values. More knob, faster replacement. It’s unclear if the random knob also controls the size of the allowable changes, or just how many values change in a given amount of time.

1 Like

This is the thing about random that I can’t figure out and it drives me absolutely nuts. I feel like this is something that really shouldn’t be left ambiguous in the manual.

1 Like

Hey, Torso team said this on their discord : “Actually there’s one global random sequence per parameter per track”.
So there should be 16 tracks*16 parameters=256 different random sequences running in the same time.

1 Like

Yeah that was the statement I was thinking of, but I couldn’t remember if they’d specified per-parameter or not.

I hope they give us a way to link the random streams for a given parameter between tracks eventually.