Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

These are such a different sequencers that it’s really hard to compare. I had OXI for couple of weeks and even though it’s a monster, it didn’t really click with me. There a ton of modes, functions, parameters which would take a while to learn and master. T-1, on the other hand I could just start jamming within 10 minutes of powering it on. It’s such a unique approach to sequencing, full of happy accidents and yet so deep.

Another thing I like about T-1 is how performative it is. On T-1 you can simply copy current pattern, make all sorts of editions and let it change after X bars. This is killer for Live, and back when I tried OXI it I think it was not possible to do that, at least not as easily as in T-1.

Out of all the gear I have, I think T-1 will be the one I will never sell.

2 Likes

I fully agree with you and this is the reason why i don’t just return it in favour of the OXI. with the T-1 me as a noog can almost sound like a pro (im not live performing but love to jam by myself :smiley:) and this is why i think i still want to keep it. I have sold some stuff i don’t use and it almost covers the cost of the T-1 so maybe i should just keep them both and use withever suits the mode.

I also have an acoustiv pinao with a silent mode so i did connect the T-1 to it and it was really cool

More investigation/trials on T-1 and another function for live improvisation: QUANTIZE.
Lets you decide how fast (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 bars, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/16) you can jump from one pattern to the other.
LENGHT also lets you loop the currently playing pattern in the same manner.

3 Likes

I have the torso and the oxi and I like them both equally for totally different reasons! Not helpful, I know…

3 Likes

It was… I will keep the T-1 because it’s just so amazing and gives new life to the old stuff. If I would have known about the T-1 3 months ago i would have probably not sold some of the gear I wasn’t capable of using because of less inspiring sequencers :smiley:

1 Like

Oxi is nice, but I do think it’s a bit fiddly. Out of the two, I ended up with T-1.

This choice was made easier by having a Hapax and luvin’ it. Best Sequencer, as far as “battleship” sequencers go. Still, not a huge amount of overlap w/ T1, whereas the Oxi aims to be a bit more … ‘sane’ and comprehensive than the T1, which is what Hapax excels at.

2 Likes

My understanding from testing is that even if you set the Quantize to a specific bar value, it always counts in multiples from the moment the pattern changes before moving to a different pattern. So for example, I start the sequence (or change to some pattern from a previous one) and set quantize to 4 bars. If I press to change to another pattern it will do so in multiples of 4 bars from the moment I started this sequence/pattern (and not from the moment I press to change). So if I press to change on bar 3, then it will change in just 1 bar, if I press on bar 2 it will change in 2 bars and so on. I am curious how are you supposed to know during the life performance at which stage within that sequence you are now? I guess I can just use short intervals like 1 bar, then it’s not an issue of course.

1 Like

That’s what the QUANTIZE function serves.
Works like my Elektron sequencers.

No real way to know unless you have other sequencers running or unless you have a glimpse at your cycles.
Personally, I use the T-1 with other sequencers (Elektron) as they help in knowing where I am in the structure. Sometimes they run their own sequences. Sometimes they just receive notes from the T-1.

4 Likes

Makes sense! Good to know that this is how it’s normally done and I am not just missing something obvious.

1 Like

Am I the only one who really misses the old Cycles functionality? I love the new cycle looping feature, but just wish it was some toggle and not a mandatory thing. So often I use Cycles to get various grooves and elements into my track, but now everything falls apart because as soon as I edit the cycle it starts looping and it goes out of sync in relation to all other tracks/cycles.

So I haven’t finished reading the thread, but is there a cheat sheet for this thing? It’s going to take me a long time to wrap my head around it and having the most common functions on one page would be super helpful. Reviews made it look so easy!

Check out the new manual pages 42 - 47. There’s some good shortcuts there (I printed those sheets out).

Can’t post up the manual as it’s too big - Support - Torso Electronics

Edit: Just wanted to say how much I love the T1 since the last major firmware update. Its that good i haven’t touched my hapax since it came out.

2 Likes

I have no idea how I missed those pages lol, thanks. So far I have managed to overwrite or erase two sequences that sounded pretty good. It’s definitely going to take some time to figure out how to use this thing but it’s fun!

There is a logic about this device that has made it very easy to understand/learn for me anyway.
Going through every function is literally explained step by step.
The fact that there is no menu diving whatsoever is making it fast to operate.
I have changed the pots for Chroma Caps colored by functions.

1 Like

So someone offered me a T-1 for a nice price. Even though I don’t need it I’m curious, since I’ve been curious about it for a while (and the price is right).

Only thing is that it’s from the original Kickstarter batch. Any info/experiences about the first batch? No issues that got resolved later? (Apart from firmware obviously)

I have a first batch. Zero issues. I’ve used it on stage for at least a dozen shows so far. Solid.

3 Likes

No problems here.

1 Like

Thanks - if it’s good enough for your cool sax setup it’s good enough for me!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Just wanted to do the due diligence. Sounds good! Cheers

There has been a big 2.0 update for the T-1. Anyone still loving / using theirs a lot? I’ve been thinking about picking one up to supplement / replace a Beatstep Pro. Cool to see this thing keep evolving.

2 Likes