Torso T1 Algorithmic Sequencer

I haven’t had time to update yet, but when you’re in the pulses view, do you use the same buttons to access pages 2, 3, and 4 that you use when you’re in steps mode?

You mean when you’ve created more than 16 steps? Yes.

You have to create the additional steps on the STEPS page, but once you’ve done that you access the additional “pages” by holding CTRL and pressing PATTERN, TEMP or MUTE. It works the same way on the STEPS and the PULSES page.

3 Likes

Yes, exactly that — it wasn’t clear from the new manual. Thanks! Looking forward to actually trying it.

1 Like

Quick interoperability questions (I think the answer to both is yes):

Can the DT, via song mode, send a pattern change to the T1 to also tell it change pattern when the song mode on the DT selects a new pattern? So pattern 1 on DT and pattern 1 on T1, then pattern 2 on DT and pattern 2 on T1, and so forth and so on.

Right now, I have the DT sending midi to ableton. I’m assuming I can just send midi to ableton from the T1 as well, on a different channel. And you can plug both into the PC on two usbs, correct?

I think that all this is kosher, I’m just doing a gut-check before buying.

How do you put cycle into loop mode or only loop part of the cycles? I only see that it loops in editing mode. Maybe not looking well but did not find anything in manual about that.

1 Like

Cycles loop by definition.
If you want to loop say 2nd cycle out of 4, just lock cycles (double press) and select the 2nd cycle.
When you go out of cycle mode, the 4 cycles will resume looping as normal (1 to 4).
Not sure if that answers your question.

Edit: if you have 4 cycles and realize say cycle 3 is the one and only you want to loop: copy the pattern to a new one, delete cycles 1, 2 and 4 :slight_smile:
Or: copy the pattern to a new one, copy and paste cycle 3 to 1, 2 and 4 :slight_smile:

Yeah looping by default in edit mode I was aware, I thought you mean we can just loop any cycle at at any point. As in, you can do that only while you’re in cycle edit mode.
It would be pretty cool if you could just enable looping of any cycles even after exiting cycle edit mode. Say you have 8 cycles, and you start looping some cycle, and then just go play around with other tracks in the meantime while that cycle is still looping.

1 Like

That would be cool indeed: being able to loop whichever cycle or combination of cycles.
The solution for the moment is to create another pattern with just the cycle(s) you want to have looping.
Going into edit mode (double press cycles) is actually not a bad thing as you can select any cycle to loop, on the fly :slight_smile:
Actually, is it not possible to select various cycles for editing, therefore having the selected cycles looping?

2 Likes

You can also copy cycles. Might be a little out of workflow for you, but you can copy the cycle you want to loop to the first slot, and then reduce the number of cycles to 1, keeping your other ones starting at whatever number. I keep “composed” cycles in the second row and copy them to the top row. However, I rarely use more that 8 cycles cycling.

1 Like

Got myself the Torso an really love it sketch a beat with but I barely scratch the surface of all the functions

5 Likes

It is possible to loop one or more cycles the way you’re hoping for. I’ll probably do a poor job explaining it here, but the trick is in two things mentioned in the new manual, page 145, Section 7.2. Torso mentioned this on their Discord earlier but only hinted at how to do it. You enable this by going into the Cycle Edit mode first, but then you can leave that mode while the Cycles loop and do whatever else you want.

Let’s say you have 4 Cycles and you want to loop back and forth between Cycle 2 and Cycle 4 only -

From the manual, step 4, italics are mine, this is how you choose which cycle(s) to keep looping:

1. In cycle view Press [VBx] for the value button that represents the cycle to edit. By default the first 4 cycles out of 16 are active. This selects the cycle edit mode. Multiple cycles can be edited when selected simultaneously. [In this example you would select Cycle 2 and 4 by pressing them at the same time]

Then you leave the Cycle edit mode using the second technique below, not the first. Again italics are mine. Steps 9 and 10 should be an either/or rather than one step followed by the other:

1. To exit Cycles Edit Mode, Press [BANK]. If playing, any cycles being edited and therefore on loop will return to the normal playback mode. [This stops the looping Cycle feature and goes back to normal play]

2. To switch from cycle view to track view while keeping cycle edit mode active, Hold [CTRL] + [BANK] [This keeps the two Cycles looping forever until you go back and press [BANK] again]

5 Likes

You can indeed do that while entering track view mode (for Cycles) once you exited cycle mode.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right! I glanced over the [CTRL] + [BANK] feature since I wasn’t expecting Edit functionality to be used creatively as part of performance. This is super cool actually since you can just loop various cycles within each of 16 channels.

@vasidudu, totally missed your post, indeed super nice trick!

2 Likes

Since v2, this device keeps surprising me.
In a good way as happy accidents (temp mode on pattern) can then be saved to a new pattern :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi!

Juts a quick question. I have the T-1 and I bought it right after the 2.0 update and I really like it. I now considering the OXI also as a second one but not sure if I should keep the T-1 or if the OXI has most of what T-1 already has but maybe not as fast to operate.

What is your take in wanting the T-1 again? :relaxed:

I can still return it latest tomorrow so that’s why I’m a little anxious to know. The best would be to have only one device but the extremely fast way of making music with the T-1 is extremely rewarding but there are stuff the OXI has I really wish the T-1 did too. I might end up having both :grin:

I would keep the T-1. And add the OXI one.
If the Oxi can record midi i would use the t-1 as a sketch pad and record the midi in to oxi.
Best of bot worlds

2 Likes

I think it depends on your usecase. I was able to resist my thirst for the T-1 since I have the oxi.
I think the oxi is a more complete/versatile sequencer that gives you more control for sure. That said, the T-1 shines in how fast it is and might give you more ‘unexpected’ results.

So they both have their charm, T-1 is also smaller and has something ‘classy/artsy’ about it, while the oxi also has benefits on the hardware side (screen, bluetooth e.g).

I also spoke to people like oora (check his channel @ooramusic), if you’d ask me (or him) if you could only keep one, then i think the choice would definitely be the oxi. but both is always better!

Myself, i want to focus more on playing keys myself the coming time, so no need for more sequencers. Not even sure I will be keeping the oxi in the long run, we’ll see.

Not sure if I’m making things easier, but if you enjoy the T-1, why return it? just have fun!

1 Like

That’s a very cool idea for sure… yet expensive :smiley:

Yes i have watched most of his videos on both devices and i agree with most of what he is saying about the T-1, a product that i now know about and it sounds like the OXI is amaxing and more all-arounder.

Im leaning toward returning the T-1 tomorrow and if i really miss it after the OXI arrives i might buy it back. Like you say it’s just a very pretty product and it can make stuff happen you never thought about. That’s just it… i have very limited musical knowledge and need guidance from a sequencer like this. That’s why the chord follows function in the OXI, which seems so great but the way T-1 generates patterns are also important.

Ah well… one more night to sleep about this :smiley:

That, to me, is the advantage of the T-1 vs OXI One.
Before buying the T-1, I was seriously eyeing the Oxi but too deep and too many functions for me.

Fully agree. To me, the OXI is more like an advanced NDLR.

Edit: one thing to understand is that T-1 is geared towards Euclidean rhythms. I believe the OXI One also has some Euclidean functions (based on my understanding from watching YT) but it is not its core.