TR-8 Scatter vs AIRA Scooper vs Boss SL-2

Simple question: are these all the same effect? Like, same patterns, same results? Or are they different approaches to the same basic idea?

Sort of. Although the Scooper is Cv-able and you can also totally reprogram the entire device to do several different things with the Roland Euro app.

2 Likes

with one caveat… the scooper has to record the buffer and replay it and the scatter works on incoming audio that you can change up however you want from the source so imo the scooper is less flexible… but super nice for transitions as you can continue to play it while you load up another set from your beatmachine

3 Likes

Not on the original list, but as the 8S was mentioned it may be worth noting that Scatter is a lot more flexible on the MC-707, where you can program different effects per pad - closer to the performance effects on Teenage Engineering devices. When Roland say Scatter, you don’t always know what you’re going to get.

1 Like

OK interesting! Thank you. I have to admit I miss having the effect in my arsenal and was wondering whether I should just buy a TR-8 (I used to have an 8S where it was less accessible, probably a good move for music overall) or an SL-2, which my local guitar store probably has in stock. I’d assumed the SL-2 was just a very versatile tremolo and only just now realized it was probably more akin to scatter.

1 Like

Also someone seems to have made an editor for the SL-2 https://sl2-patch-editor.xyz/

roland mx-1 also has scatter with quite some variations

2 Likes

Roland MX1 - Scatter has volume issues.
Scooper - have to record the audio before manipulating the sound.
TR-8 - instant Mumdance

3 Likes

:joy:

I had a SL-20 for a while and it doesn’t rearrange the audio like the scatter effect. It just cuts it up but the chops stay where they are in the timeline. Does that make sense? :slight_smile: Idk.
What’s cool about it is that you can alter the attack and the waveform of the slices. And it has a dry/wet blend.

Yeah, it does…I listened to a few demos, you’re right, it really is kind of a glorified tremolo. Like maybe the Z. Vex Seek Wah?

Anyway, I found a cheap TR-8 with the 7x7 expansion and snapped it up, so I’ll just use that for now. Thank you!

2 Likes

Check compatibility with the editor if you plan to get the aira eurorack boxes. iOS/ can’t remember if there’s an android version / Mac / pc

Maybe behringer will clone them and remove the patch bug ( I think bottom left module had issues )
It’s been years since I had them.

I did get weird results running tr8 at very low temp o combined with inbuilt fx.

2 Likes

Meris Ottobit Jr. also has some very musical to my ears stuttering

1 Like

There was a firmware release v1.05 build 0493 that resolved this

I use the editor on my PC. Works fine. Not sure about Mac though. There’s even a helpful group over on Facebook, if you can remember your login info.