Track recording without any trigs active

This has been the most frustrating thing about using the octatrack so far: recording never seems to work the same way twice.

Why for example, when i have “hold” selected, can there be recordings happening on their own?

Why, when no trigs of any kind are on the track, is record activating every time I press play?

I’d appreciate any help with this.

Are you sure you are in the Record view? There record trigs and play trigs.

1 Like

ONE, ONE2 or HOLD options let you record without the trigs but you have to press/hold at least one of REC buttons.

Looks like you have rec-trig put on sequencer. Double check it.
Do you know how to place recording trig?

1 Like

It’s very important that you know that there are two view’s, actually three.
If you hit Func- Rec AB/CD (input) Func-midi (internal sampling), you are taken to the Record View. This is where you place your Record Trigs. When you press no, you go back to Sample Trig page, where you place Sample Trigs.
Also, when in record mode (record button lit) you can press Func-Bank and that will take you to the Trig Editor, so you can see all Trigs at once.

3 Likes

… and recording can also be triggered when the OT receives specific MIDI notes (note values 60/61/62/63).

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Somebody said it above — when I went func - bank, I saw that there were record trigs afterall. But I’m confused because I didn’t open that menu and place them. And there were no trigs of any color on the track. All I had done was place a play trig, because I was trying to “hold” record. Then I took it off and even changed to static and back to flex. And the same thing kept happening. Maybe midi was interfering? I have no idea. Still don’t quite understand everything you guys posted but I’ll reread it and see the manual. Thanks.

1 Like

Go to a blank pattern. Press Funk-Rec, Place trig. Press Funk-Rec again. Notice trig is gone? Now hit Func-Rec again. Now you should see that trig again. Erase that trig, press Func-Rec again. Back to the sample trig page. Place trig… Now Press Func-trig again…Notice trig is gone.
Moral of this story. There are two different trig views. One for recording, and one for playing samples.
It took me a while to understand this Hope this helps with your confusion

3 Likes

Another exercise… Without playing the sequencer. Hit record button so that the red light is lit. Hit Func-Bank. You should be in the Trig edit page.
Now hit the Rec button again, so the light goes off. Notice you are in another screen for track setup. Hit Rec button again. You are back to Trig edit.

2 Likes

Great music title!

I’d have a look to that mode @thoughtstarZ mentioned. :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, the different page views (menu’s?) on the OT, for some reason, were very difficult for me to comprehend. To know where I was in the beginning was a little confusing… Now, I’ve figured out most of them. I’m not even sure I know all the menu’s that Func-Bank pull up. But, that is a challenging thing when learning the OT.

2 Likes