Track vs Master Feedback?

Howdy, new to the forum and new to the Digitakt/Elektron.

I’ve been building my first beat, going great. But have run into something I can’t figure out:

1. I select Sample 3 (red indicator light solid on button 3 and screen says SMP 3 in the box) and want to increase the delay feedback.
  2. FUNC+FLTR=Delay menu. Turn up knob D to increase FDBK.
  3. For some reason this increases delay feedback not for the track/sample but on the ENTIRE playing pattern, creating a massive feedback mess no one wants.

Tried messing with the TRK vs PTN buttons, tried reloading/restarting the machine. Not sure what I’m doing wrong. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Digitakt effects like delay are global and sample tracks can just determine what amount of its output they send to that global effect.

So when you change the delay feedback, you are going to impact every other track that sends to delay as well. Unfortunately there is no way to p-lock separate fx settings for each track on the Digitakt.

4 Likes

You can replicate (read “fake”) a delay on a single track in a couple ways.
I think the best way would be to set the sample to forward loop and adjust the loop and end points so that it repeats at the same rate as the delay you are trying to replicate. The amp release parameter on the amp page would then act as your feedback control.

1 Like

This is normal behavior.
Digitakt has send 2 FX. Delay and Reverb.
Meaning all tracks can send some of their signal to the FX, which is then summed with the rest of the mix.

As @M3 already mentioned, this can be interpreted as global fx.

If you want fx per track (aka insert fx, the digitakt does not have that function)

2 Likes

Many thanks for the fast responses+alternatives. That explains it then; will shift how I was approaching delay/reverb. Surprisingly limiting, no? Enjoying it thoroughly so far nonetheless.

1 Like

Yes and no.

Fx are fun and inspirational but in the long run it’s good practice to get things working with minimal fx. And you can always re-sample to add a bit more variation.

But yes, a little bit more flexibility and choice, together with the above practices would be ideal.

3 Likes

You could also take advantage of the internal sampling with the Digitakt. Solo a sample track with the delay/reverb settings of your choice and record a loop of it (make sure to record at least the second loop run to capture the full fx from the previous loop run).

Then use that recording instead of the sample sequence and change the fx settings to match your other tracks.

1 Like

That does make sense, treating the whole machine or “kit” as a single instrument in that way. Keeps the environment uniform. Thanks for the extra tips- so much to try out that this thing can do.