Trackers - what's your story?

Oh I guess you’re talking about this: M8 Tracker

I don’t know why you replied specifically to my post because I wasn’t talking about M8, but It does look interesting.

My financial situation isn’t the best though and I like Sunvox just fine.

1 Like

Started with FT2 around 1994/1995 running it on some 66mhz box and stuck with it until 2001 or so. Used it for everything from dnb / idm / industrial / metal / whatever. Over the years I amassed thousands of patterns and some completed songs, but unfortunately majority of those have been lost in time. Back in 2011 I found my way back to electronic music and got a Renoise license. I still use it on weekly basis to keep things fresh, but most of my time is spent in hardware + cubase.

Very cool. Thanks dude

I started out on a copy of Fasttracker 2 in the mid 90’s when I was 11 or 12, even think I was running it straight from DOS. I was trying to immitate the kind of music I was into back then; some kind of gabber house / breakbeats hybrid. I’m sure it sounded like crap but I had fun and I wish I could listen back the stuff I was making back then. After a few years I got more into metal and hiphop, picked up the guitar and started a band with friends. Played in bands until I was in my mid 20’s and only got back into using the computer to make music after I quit my last band around 2013. Been using Ableton since then, with my guitar, pedals, and other hardware machines like a sampler and synths.

ah i love using sunvox as well, just thought m8 could stand to be mentioned next to other modern trackers like sunvox

Yeah M8 looks cool but I can’t spare the money for it at the moment.

You clearly have company - other M8 admirers/customers - on this thread at least. Thats why I wonder why you replied to me instead of one of them.

cheers!

4 Likes

Just got my towered-up Amiga 1200 back from storage, and it still works; so I’ve been busy rediscovering old tracker things I made:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNSp3j2q9tM/

1 Like

messed around with LSDJ in high school, and occasionally use renoise redux within Ableton for glitchy sample slicing and drum programming, but trackers definitely aren’t my forte. that sparkly new M8 really has me interested in getting back into things, though. anyone have any nice resources or tutorial videos they’d like to share for someone who wants to brush up?

:+1:t3:

1 Like

I didn’t really get a computer until around 2004 and by that time FL 4 was the only thing I knew about. Eventually I found out about trackers and tried one once but didn’t know how to get started. I have been fascinated by the subject though and have read a lot about it. I finally got into the Elektrons around 2014. Maybe it’s time to try a tracker again just for fun. Is Renoise worth it?

Octamed 4 with a rough and ready Technosound Turbo box

2 Likes

Thank you for posting, this brings back some memories for sure! Have probably watched/listened to it 500times at the time on my old Amiga. It actually inspired me to compete in the demo scene later on. This one and 9-fingers will always have a place in my subconscious. I often find myself thinking about this track.

LSDJ users - a little help please. To get started I need a DMG-01 (any colour), the download of the ROM and one of these right? Is this the best cartridge option to go for?

Seems about right.

Did you ever try it as an emulator on your phone? I know it takes away the nostalgia of holding a gameboy.

2 Likes

After I pre ordered a M8 Tracker, I decided I should try one on the computer. I did lsdj on my phone for 2 weeks then got a trial of renoise.

I’m not into DAWs at all for creation.
It definitely doesn’t feel like a traditional DAW though and is refreshing to try a different approach.

2 Likes

I should probably do that instead of diving right in! Cheers

Glad to help! It scratches the itch for me.
I was going to buy a gameboy too until I realized they’re not $10 at yard sales anymore. As with everything else nostalgic, there’s an incredible price.

Sadly true, I still want a Tascam 414 or 424mk3 too, but those have gone silly!

I snagged a porta 05 and a tascam 424mk3 when people didn’t want them anymore. They both need some love. (Bad solder joints) but yeah, I’m glad I got them when I did.

1 Like