Trackers - what's your story?

Putting your own samples into LSDJ rom

Here, I found this out today. Get them amen one shots ready

1 Like

fantastic!

1 Like

OK then @Misanthropic_Friend :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

That’s amazing. How did you do all of it?

Been looking for a cheap gameboy and stuff myself.

Well I blasted straight past the sensible option and got a modded gameboy from Ebay - a really good seller, it’s almost mint. Then an EZ flash cart came today, and Bobs your uncle.
The cart was also full of games which may be a distraction…

1 Like

I’m going to have to buy one when I get back to the states.

1 Like

I’m amazed how much is actually in LSDJ, still feels relevant and immediate. Do it, get one!

I will. Yeah, I’ve been on lsdj on my phone A LOT lately. Did a chiptune cover of Bowie’s Life on Mars. Been exploring tables also lately. Did my own sample rom upload, and I’m creating drums outta PU1, Noise, and the wave. It’s scratching my itch of the M8 until I get one.

1 Like

I’m very far behind that! But got some ideas to develop. But now I’ve got interested I’m suddenly hearing bits of chiptune all over :slightly_smiling_face:

You have a gameboy now, nothing is stopping you! Be sure to put up your first lsdj track.

1 Like

Here’s my story: tried to order a Polyend Tracker and NO ONE has them in stock. And they must be worthy of the hype because there aren’t any used ones for sale either. Might as well be trying to buy a Microcosm (just kidding, I don’t want one of those).

3 Likes

I will! Be prepared to wait, I’m not fast…

I got one of those recently too. Chiptune ambient maybe?

I emailed Polyend a few weeks ago and they said,

"Thanks for reaching out and for your interest in our products!

The next batch of Trackers is comming. These should be available in the EU big stores in June."

Sincerely,
Cezary

I asked about the US also and the response was,

“Maybe even faster, however it’s a matter of longer overseas shipping and distribution period needed.”

Introduced to Trackers via Polyend Tracker.

My brother made music on his Amiga in the late 80s-early 90s, but i’m pretty sure he used software like (and including) Music X, which I think wasn’t a tracker, so I never saw a tracker until recent years. Started with hardware (Akai S20), touched into Ableton maybe 10 years ago, but didn’t start using it properly until around 4 years ago, but mostly in session view, somewhat like a Tracker ie working downwards rather than to the right.

Saw the excitement at the pre release of the Polyend Tracker, thought it looked interesting but complicated and finally got my hands on one brand new after somebody locally on gearslutz/gearspace ordered 2 to hedge his bets of getting one quickly, then forgetting to cancel the second.

So, the perfect opportunity to get one to test and never looked back.

I still can’t see me ever wanting a tracker with less control than a Polyend Tracker though. I’m only sold on trackers because of how fun and easy it is to create music on the PT, but now they’ve reinvented the wheel and opened up the workflow to hardware users with a seriously capable machine, I think it will go on timeline of advances in music production as a major event that changed things.

1 Like

One just pooped up on Reverb, FYI.

2 Likes

With all the people waiting for M8 pre-orders and running headless setups on Teensy, I keep wondering what it would be like if someone could get M8 running on the Polyend… :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

My review of the Nerdseq

Meanwhile, producers such as Dex and Jonesey broke into the Top 40 with Amiga-made tracks like their souped-up remix of Josh Wink’s Higher State of Consciousness, and even caught flak from the music establishment for daring to eschew the pricier Apple computers most professionals used at the time.

But the Amiga’s powerful bass sound and punchy, unique grooves were hard to imitate. Unlike music software such as Cubase or Logic Pro, which reads from left to right, Amiga’s equivalents cascaded from top to bottom in a lo-fi graphical waterfall of bits and bytes. “Because only eight things can play at once at any given time, it makes you work harder,” says King. “You need to go into the actual soundwave.”

This hyper-granular approach allowed King to be “forensic right down to the 1,000th of a second” in a way that would take “10 times as long” with Cubase. “I was obsessed with having everything perfectly matching and going at the same time,” he says – still a painstaking task considering the software only showed numbers passing by, rather than labelled blocks of drums and basslines that could be shuffled about more easily.

1 Like

Hardware trackers have seen a revival in the 2022, with the Polyend Tracker, the Dirtwave M8, and the already existing Nerdseq. Do you think we will continue seeing new trackers in 2023? Here is a new tracker for Monome Norns.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sEnoITNxcus

1 Like

I had a dream that Elektron made a new device with a linear sequencer similar to the one on the MPC Live II but you could plock the steps like it was a tracker.