Transpose in key using LFO

I’m trying to transpose notes using the square LFO in hold mode, set to modulate synth pitch.
I works pretty well but I’d like to try and keep the sequence I’m transposing in tune with the key of the song. I’m guessing setting the right modulation DEP is the secret to this, setting to 7.00 and 5.00 doesn’t work I’m getting accidentals in the key of C. (I’m feeding notes into a tuner). Any thoughts on how to achieve this much appreciated.

You can do this with the Octatrack by using the arpeggiator (which can quantise a track to a key even when the arp isn’t engaged), but I’m not aware of a way to do it on the Digi’s

Use ONE HALF, or TRIG with SPEED = 0.

HOLD lfo behave as FREE, it is not retriggered, so it is normal that values vary.

I’m getting it shifting up an octave with the settings you suggest - I have DEP set on 12.00 however if I shift it down to 7.00 or 5.00 I’m getting accidentals so its not staying in the key of C. (I’m playing a C and F note) However 4.00 seems to create E and A - which shifts them each up 3 notes of the scale.

OK sussed it.
Using TRIG with SPEED = 0 Modulating synth pitch.
Each whole number on DEP takes you up a semitone of the scale.
In the Key of C dialling in 2.00, 4.00 7.00 9.00 and 11.00 means my simple C and F sequence stayed in tune to the key of C.
I need to experiment more my maths and music theory is very poor, but I think this will be useful to me.

3 Likes

Works with SPEED 0 with any mode retrigging the LFO :
TRIG, ONE, HALF.

I thought HALF was holding to max value, but it returns to 0 after half cycle.

I guess it is simple maths - but just tried it across the whole scale of C and there is no way to keep it in tune. So basically I’ve answered my own question: you cannot transpose a simple melody up or down by any amount using modulation and keep it in key. :sleepy: