Trigger SP404MK2 with Digitakt

Hi everybody,

I bought the SP404MK2 as a sampler to sequence it with the Digitakt. I have hooked up the Digitakt to the midi in on the SP404MK2, but when I try to trigger the pads in bank 1 wwith one of the Midi-Channel 1, nothing happens, same for the other banks, the device doesn’t seem to receive midi data. In the video manual for the SP404 this is said to be possible and also shown. Does it only work with a certain cable? Is there something I am doing wrong with the Digitakt? I can’t figure it out.

It’s a lower range in the midi note section if I remember correctly

1 Like

Here is a good video tutorial about SP404 MKII midi :

1 Like

It has a weird midi implementation where each of the banks is on its own midi channel and each of the pads in a bank are mapped to a small range of notes that’s the same per bank. It’ll probably require some fiddling but if the DT is set up to send notes and the 404 is set up to receive notes it will work.

If you think you have the midi IO set up right try moving up and down in octaves on the DT when sending notes, only a specific range will actually trigger the 404’s pads.

1 Like

With the DN it is -2 & -3 octave range to trigger pads on the 404. And as @dialectrics mentioned each back is its own midi channel.

Hello everybody and thanks for your feedback.

I researched and I am aware of the issues with the midi channels per bank, the low notes etc, I tried all that out.

My guess now is that the issue is with my midi to TRS adapter. Roland uses type A as input and I seem to only have type B in my cabel equipment. I ordered the type A ones and maybe that will fix my issue.

I will edit this accordingly one I had a chance to try it out.

Thanks for all you help :slight_smile:

EDIT:

As suspected, it was an issue with the midi-cabel. I ordered a type A converter (Midi TRS to Midi 5-Pin) and it now works like a charm, I can sequence the SP404MK2 with the Digitakt. Maybe this will help someone with the same issue in the future

3 Likes