Triggering samples in Digitakt, Externally via 1 Midi Channel?

Hi,

So I have a question,
I am currently working on my live set, where Ableton is the main sequencer.
Samples are loaded in to the Digitakt but to trigger each (1-8) it seems like I have to make a different channel per sample? I can obviously play them by hitting the buttons but this isn’t always going to be possible and I need to live tweak the effects and parameters on the Digitakt at the same time.

What I would like to do is have one single midi output to the Digitakt, be able to trigger the samples from Ableton without assigning each sample it’s own midi output in Ableton and Midi in on the Digitakt, it is sucking up the midi outs I have available. Currently I have a single midi out of my audio interface, into an 8 way thru box, this then goes to…

Flightcase 1…
Channel 1 Novation AFX Station
Channel 2 Cyclone 303
Channel 3 Novation Peak
Channel 4 Digitakt

Flightcase 2…
Channel 5 Novation Bass Station
Channel 6 Korg Minilogue
Channel 7 Roland TR8
Channel 8 Effects units (used for sync and patch switching)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t have a DT, but my experience with other Elektrons is that the tracks are addressable on any MIDI Channel by targeting the lowest (in this case) 8 Midi Notes - these Notes 0-7 should trigger each of teh tracks respectively - you can use any channel, but the Auto Channel would be the one i’d tend to use

4 Likes

Thanks for the speedy reply, thank sounds like just the thing I needed to know :smiley:

Much appreciated!!

1 Like